Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Musk limiting people to 1 tweet a day is something I would support.
i like this as a thought experiment. in general, would quality go up or down? would political tensions ease up or get worse? would political causes and actions weaken or strengthen? would twitter-addicted forever online users do something else, maybe day dream or go fishing or fall in love? would elon musk detwattify or get more of a monsterous bell end?

I read that he's suspended development of new features, which suggests the fuckup was a new feature under development :thumbs:
Not necessarily. Know nothing about the Twitter stuff but if core functionality is broken, you suspend work on new stuff to go back and sort it out.

And Twitter did get rid off loads of the people who kept things running behind the scenes so... 🤷‍♀️

Eta And 'new features under development' presumably won't have been generally released yet anyway.

Seems to be completely down at the moment, at least for me.

Some speculation it is some sort of DDOS attack, though surely they can handle that?

Turkey was blocking Twitter yesterday but think they’re back online, apparently Erdogan was having a problem with the amount of tweets criticising his response to the earthquake.

i am very happy that it seems to breaking in a way thats obvious to everyone (i've not been on there for a while).
Its not just schadenfreude for him, its also going to piss off the many people (titans of industry and their admirers) who were enjoying saying 'look he fired half the workers and treated the rest like shit and its FINE'.

End-of-Twitter-Tweets-Memes-social-1024x536.jpg

It seems ok to me? Working, I mean. I never used to use it as I thought it was too toxic, amplifies conflict and paranoia, but its really excellent for links on research, hearing about neurodivergent clinicians/ trainers, stuff on SEN and alternative ed. I avoid politics (more narrowly defined) and don't pay any attention to trending.

I just looked to see who I was ignoring because there's only been 3 in the whole time I've been here, I forgot about you.

I don't like urban very much either for the same reasons but there's people who know each other here and it's not quite so easy to project all the bad stuff into flesh and blood multi-dimensional people that you know are actually decent human beings. The need to be on top and to tell people how wrong they are is equally tedious everywhere though.

The president of SpaceX revealed the company has taken active steps to prevent Ukrainian forces from using the critical Starlink satellite technology with Ukrainian drones that are a key component of their fight against Russia.

“There are things that we can do to limit their ability to do that,” Gwynne Shotwell told reporters on Wednesday, referencing reports on Starlink and drone use. “There are things that we can do, and have done.”

Starlink was never meant to be used militarily in the way that it has, Shotwell argued, saying the company didn’t foresee how profoundly – and creatively – Ukrainian forces would rely on the technology.

“It was never intended to be weaponized,” Shotwell told an audience at a space conference. “However, Ukrainians have leveraged it in ways that were unintentional and not part of any agreement.”

Shotwell’s admission that SpaceX, which was founded by Elon Musk, has prevented Ukrainian soldiers from fully using the technology confirms the long-standing belief that Musk and the company are uneasy with Ukraine’s military use of Starlink.

Speaking with reporters after, Shotwell argued that Starlink had sent units to Ukraine to “keep the banks going, hospitals, keep families connected.”

“We know the military is using them for comms, and that’s OK,” Shotwell added. “But our intent was never to have them use it for offensive purposes.”

No one person or corporation should have this much power in their hands.

Last edited:
Musk actively reducing Ukraine’s capability to defend itself.

May I be the first to say what an utter cunt Elon Musk is

There. I'm sorry, but someone had to say it...

Not necessarily. Know nothing about the Twitter stuff but if core functionality is broken, you suspend work on new stuff to go back and sort it out.

And Twitter did get rid off loads of the people who kept things running behind the scenes so... 🤷‍♀️

Eta And 'new features under development' presumably won't have been generally released yet anyway.

More on this and the potential death spiral it may lead to.

i am very happy that it seems to breaking in a way thats obvious to everyone (i've not been on there for a while).
Its not just schadenfreude for him, its also going to piss off the many people (titans of industry and their admirers) who were enjoying saying 'look he fired half the workers and treated the rest like shit and its FINE'.
also had another angle to that that was trotted out all over the place "see, you don't need a load of brunching liberals at your company. leave it to the real men."

Back
Top Bottom