Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish equal marriage referendum

A friend reminded me that the Divorce referendum was passed by a mere 9,000 votes. Which works out as about 1 vote per ballot box.

As to the result. Alot of people have forgotten that there's two referendums happening today. There's a 2nd referendum on lowering the required minimum to become President. As it stands currently you have to 35 to run for the office. If it passes this will be reduced to 18.

A friend reminded me that the Divorce referendum was passed by a mere 9,000 votes. Which works out as about 1 vote per ballot box.

Yes. In my view though, a lot of older progressive types in Ireland are so scarred from the losses of the 80s and the very close wins of the 90s that they tend to be too pessimistic and to underestimate the degree of social change. You can really see it amongst pro-choice activists, where the older generation are simply used to being on the defensive.

ghrBF3Y.jpg

CFUqza0WEAE-haM.jpg

The man's entire life revolves around the death and subsequent absence of his parents, and he dresses up as a bat to beat people up in dark alleyways.

Not sure he's quite the poster child for "non-traditional" families... :hmm:

The man's entire life revolves around the death and subsequent absence of his parents, and he dresses up as a bat to beat people up in dark alleyways.

Not sure he's quite the poster child for "non-traditional" families... :hmm:

the-most-important-thing-in-life-is-to-be-yourself-batman.jpg

It's a government initiative and Labour desperately need to be able to point to at least one "achievement" to sell to their socially liberal base. They've already shat on their traditional working class vote and they've pissed off the socially liberal of all classes by voting against abortion rights over and over again. They see this as their version of the Greens subsidised bicycles scheme.

But yes, the unanimity of the political parties from the traditional conservative parties to the far left means that it's very hard for anyone to gain particular benefit from it.
Dunno which background pic is worse, the desperate Labour one or Gilmore's starry plough of "Opportunity".

https://twitter.com/labour
https://twitter.com/EamonGilmore

voted YES and also YES to people from the age of 21 running for president. Definitely :thumbs:

President is a job a slightly brighter than average dog could be trained to do perfectly adequately. Get it to stand on an inkpad and then on the end of bits of legislation. Teach it to offer its paw to foreign dignitaries, and if we want it to be a really good President not to sniff their crotches.

President is a job a slightly brighter than average dog could be trained to do perfectly adequately. Get it to stand on an inkpad and then on the end of bits of legislation. Teach it to offer its paw to foreign dignitaries, and if we want it to be a really good President not to sniff their crotches.

its an ambassadorial job, i already know a few people who arent even 21 and would be scarily fantastic. Very mature and capable, dont underestimate the idea - and dont forget Michael Collins was in his late 20's when he was masterminding the future of Ireland and making MANY speeches. He died at 31 and should have been president of Ireland LONG before that.

its an ambassadorial job, i already know a few people who arent even 21 and would be scarily fantastic. Very mature and capable, dont underestimate this.

I think a well trained dog would make a better and more likeable ambassador than most of our Presidents.

I voted Yes, by the way. But really, there's no more trivial job than President of Ireland.

I think a well trained dog would make a better and more likeable ambassador than most of our Presidents.

I voted Yes, by the way. But really, there's no more trivial job than President of Ireland.

what? you think our presidents have been bad? are you mixing them up with taoiseachs?

Have you ever looked down the list of Irish Presidents? Or are you just thinking that you liked that nice Mary Robinson?

of course i have examined them. And recently great women - especially Mary Robinson! i dont need to tell you what she did for gay rights in this country....i hope X

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom