Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish equal marriage referendum

Are there any actual arguments against this apart from homophobia and religious fundamentalism? How are the no side trying to get secular voters to agree with them?

NO: Gay marriage is wrong! We need to keep our traditions!

YES: Sorry, you're talking rubbish. Actually, gay marriage has been part of a lot of cultures for a long long time.

NO: Well it's not good for children. Every child should have a mother and father to grow up normally, not two fathers.

YES: This is nonsense. Lots of research has shown that children raised by same sex couples aren't affected in the way you are suggesting. Perhaps you should do some research before making these kinds of comments.

NO: STOP BULLYING ME AND TRYING TO SILENCE ME.

Like many other referendums, the arguments are rarely about what the question is about...
Yes, that is slightly worrying from a yes supporter point of view, since all the parties are supporting a yes vote, no could be seen as the "fuck you, politicians" option.

Be interesting to see the landslide for the Yes vote will be.

While we're waiting, here's the Dubliners:

Re: voting "no" as a protest against the government. That was definitely part of the story in the defeat of the 1986 divorce referendum, but that one was also clearly identified as a pet project of Garret F., and I don't think there's that sort of identification of the present vote with the present coalition. Chick Webb

I did need to double check that for sec. But yes it is a spoof account of the militant catholic rightwing think tank the Iona Institute.

Picture taken on the 9:30 train to Hollyhead this morning.

CFm-L5AWoAAYlBv.jpg

Last edited:
If Labour were hoping to exploit this to get a bounce, their canvassing doesn't appear to have had any effect. Still stuck at 7% according the latest poll, their highest rating being 33% in Sept 2010, and first preferences being around 20% in 2011 election.

If Labour were hoping to exploit this to get a bounce, their canvassing doesn't appear to have had any effect. Still stuck at 7% according the latest poll, their highest rating being 33% in Sept 2010, and first preferences being around 20% in 2011 election.

How would labour exploit this to get a bounce? Every party is campaigning for a yes vote. The number of TD who have announced that they are voting no is about five. Christ evening Lucinda who voted against the change to abortion law is voting yes.

How would labour exploit this to get a bounce? Every party is campaigning for a yes vote. The number of TD who have announced that they are voting no is about five. Christ evening Lucinda who voted against the change to abortion law is voting yes.

UNLEASH THE CREIGHTON

It's a government initiative and Labour desperately need to be able to point to at least one "achievement" to sell to their socially liberal base. They've already shat on their traditional working class vote and they've pissed off the socially liberal of all classes by voting against abortion rights over and over again. They see this as their version of the Greens subsidised bicycles scheme.

But yes, the unanimity of the political parties from the traditional conservative parties to the far left means that it's very hard for anyone to gain particular benefit from it.

It's a government initiative and Labour desperately need to be able to point to at least one "achievement" to sell to their socially liberal base. They've already shat on their traditional working class vote and they've pissed off the socially liberal of all classes by voting against abortion rights over and over again. They see this as their version of the Greens subsidised bicycles scheme.

But yes, the unanimity of the political parties from the traditional conservative parties to the far left means that it's very hard for anyone to gain particular benefit from it.

Will even Labour's middle class voters return to them? I met some middle-class people in the run-up to the last election who were unemployed for the first times in their lives, absolutely besides themselves with rage, and intent on voting labour.

I would presume that these people would have been as disappointed by Labour as 2010 Lib Dem voters were in the UK. And I can't see them returning to the fold the next time.

Because the like the Greens before them, Labours' token victories will not mitigate the number of failures they've made while in govt. They'll be killed because rolling back on child benefit, third level fees, cuts to disability and social care, and the water charges.

Even if people are conned into thinking there's a recovery, why would they give Labour any credit for it? Use your head, man.

As i said "some of the really deeply stupid" existing middle class Labour voters. Not anyone capable of using their heads, and not enough to save the pricks.

Do we have any notion as to when we might know the result?

Official results will start coming in at about 11 tomorrow morning, with a total result by early afternoon. Tallymen will unofficially know who has won from about half an hour after the first boxes are opened much earlier tomorrow. Unless it's very, very close.

I don't think there is one, which is annoying both because we won't know the result early and because a large exit poll would give useful demographic breakdowns.

A friend reminded me that the Divorce referendum was passed by a mere 9,000 votes. Which works out as about 1 vote per ballot box.

As to the result. Alot of people have forgotten that there's two referendums happening today. There's a 2nd referendum on lowering the required minimum to become President. As it stands currently you have to 35 to run for the office. If it passes this will be reduced to 18.

This is the 1st vote on the ballot, and will be counted 1st. We should get a good idea as to how the Gay Marriage referendum is going by about 12 or 1 tomorrow. With the final count coming in later in the afternoon.

All digits crossed for a yes!

Back
Top Bottom