Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish Politics Thread

Just wondering aloud how the demise of Harland and Wolff will play out with DUP voters?

The DUP have been quiet, with an odd platitude here and there, Alexander didn’t meet with them when he visited the statelet. There was that hopeful demo outside storment that saw the H&w workers shout slogans in English and Irish and McDonnell visiting saying Labour would nationalise the yard. And workers’ reps saying they would stand against the DUP.

Symbolically even though the work force is small, is this further split within unionism? Have the Me Feiners said anything positive?

Report on the Mother and Baby homes is out.

It's not going to be pretty reading

ErjDkzEW4Agx72D

Report on the Mother and Baby homes is out.

It's not going to be pretty reading

ErjDkzEW4Agx72D
Nor should it be. The country has to front up to this for its own good or the fuckers in the church, FFG, Labour and ex PD’s will get away with blaming Irish society instead of whee the blame should lie, the religious orders, the church hierarchy and the state.

Eoghan Murphy is stepping down as a TD and is going international...

the Dail’s gain is the rest of the world’s loss

Eoghan Harris has been sacked by the Sindo. Fake twitter account. Eoghan Harris confirms Sunday Independent contract terminated

Apparently Ruth Dudley Edwards was the second follower of the Barbara Pym account, I bet David Quinn contributed to it too.

Anyway goodbye cunt.
A thoroughly nasty 78(!) year old piece of work.

Irish Examiner journo said:
This account sent me sexualised messages about whether Mary Lou McDonald “turned me on”, the size of my arse and called me a terrorist from the month I started at the Examiner. Since then, I’ve had to go to counselling and the guards."

Sean Murray, director of Unquiet Graves has had his solicitors make a statement.

The last line "Will pursue all legal remedies available in these circumstances against Mr Harris and other contributors to this fake account."

I appreciate this is a bit vague, but was there one particular Eoghan Harris column that was particularly mad and shit that I might remember him from, or am I getting him mixed up with some other prick? Like, I feel like a while back someone wrote a column saying that women could solve the gender pay gap if they learned to be a bit more like the Jews, does that sound like him or am I thinking of someone else?

himself said:
I have strong views on the abuse of internet boards like Indymedia and politics.ie [he says when it is suggested he harbours a dislike of blogging] by political nerds who need anonymity to function (sic). I have always seen them as little wankers masturbating in a room and hiding behind the computer while they write their nasty pieces. They absolutely loathe me but I regard their attacks as a badge of honour. What I loathe more than political correctness is left wing political correctness….

Nine accounts.

Speaking to the Irish Times, Mr Harris denied these tweets were offensive on Friday afternoon and said there is a long history of writers using pseudonyms.

He was just on with Sarah McInerney to double down on the weirdness. Amongst other things he, a sunday newspaper columnist, claimed he has no platform.

All of this is just a distraction from the closure of the sudocrem factory. Cui bono?

17 mins long for anyone with absolutely nothing else better to do.

Last edited:
Nine accounts.

He was just on with Sarah McInerney to double down on the weirdness. Amongst other things he, a sunday newspaper columnist, claimed he has no platform.

All of this is just a distraction from the closure of the sudocrem factory. Cui bono?
Wonder if the Sindo’s fashion pages written by another Harris will do a feature on what 78 yo ex workers’ party journalist is wearing this season after losing his job and facing a libel trail at some point in the future?

Transcript of the McInerney car crash here.

In response to McInerney bringing up the quote posted by butchersapron and suggesting it indicated a bit of hypocrisy, he said this.

I would say that was then, and this is now.

i used to read broadsheet dot ie, until it turned into a haven for assad fanboys and i couldn't take it anymore. i just went back to have a peek and now they're also coronavirus deniers. so.

It's the Dublin South byelection today. The main event seems to be FG's James Geoghegan vs the Labour Party's Ivana Bacik. This is an open careerist versus a barely concealed careerist. Welll, maybe that's unfair to IB, who does actually believe her brand of liberal feminism. But she's been a consistent failure in Dail elections, ending up in the Senate instead.

Further down the ballot there are various weird and wonderful people, like the People Before Profit candidate, whom I'm told could barely string a sentence together in some debate or other. Disturbingly the far-right National Party is going all in for Fuhrer Justin Barrett. I saw a gaggle of them out leafletting the other night. For those who prefer their far-right politics to be less openly Nazi, there's also Aontú - both of these are making economic populism noises while trying to raise the black flag of reaction over Irish politics.

I think it will be the blueshirt, but maybe IB will pull it off (but I should say that about a decade a person into whose thinking I have an insight did some market research work in Sandymout on the electability of IB, and he met people who knew her as a student and remained singularly unimpressed to this day).

Anyway, Mrs. Idris is just back from casting her vote - left-leaning all the way, baby.

I like Ivana Bacik. I think she would be good.

Cant see Aontu getting anywhere. And Justin Barrett? God help us ... his shirt sleeves are too long.
In every way.

SFs Lynn Boylan is popular and could be in the running.

I don't think SF will "play in Peoria" where a middleclass South Dublin constituency is concerned. They'll have already got as far as they could go. For a lot of people round here, they'll still be toxic.

It's interesting that I forgot to mention Fianna Fáil, whose candidate was found to have written very rude remarks about her tenants (she's a landlord) on the interwebs. That says something about the Miss Havisham-like decline of what was once the 26 counties' biggest party.

This guy was standing again, with an election flyer that basically reproduces what it says here:

EP2ofvGW4AEXHty.jpg

When Mrs Idris showed me his flyer - which has all that stuff on it, including the crossed Soviet and Papal flags, she said "I'm collecting odd bods, apparently".

To which I replied, "this is the oddest bod we've yet seen".

I like Ivana Bacik. I think she would be good.

Cant see Aontu getting anywhere. And Justin Barrett? God help us ... his shirt sleeves are too long.
In every way.

SFs Lynn Boylan is popular and could be in the running.
LB is great, think she lost out on another recent election, though?

It's the Dublin South byelection today. The main event seems to be FG's James Geoghegan vs the Labour Party's Ivana Bacik. This is an open careerist versus a barely concealed careerist. Welll, maybe that's unfair to IB, who does actually believe her brand of liberal feminism. But she's been a consistent failure in Dail elections, ending up in the Senate instead.
The sight of Geoghegan talking up his being locked out of the housing market, despite his background and career, was galling. Bacik, actually has a chance on transfers I'd of thought. She's Labour, I don't think that party has been forgiven for its role in austerity. So she may keep her losing run going. Reports are that there was a high turn out in Ringsend and Harolds X but much lower one in Ranelagh, Boylan may just get the seat.

Last edited:
I saw a tweet earlier saying that with 5% of the vote counted, Boylan was actually leading the pack with first preferences. But that's with only 5% counted, mind.

Meanwhile, far-right loon and byelection candidate Dolores Cahill was prevented from entering the counting hall because she wasn't wearing a mask.

Back
Top Bottom