Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish equal marriage referendum

Ireland gets the Richard Branson seal of approval. How nice of him to bestow his praise on lowly Ireland.*

* Christ I'm a prickly fucker today.

The referendum was being held 22 years after homosexual acts were decriminalised in Ireland

Hadn't known that. What was Ireland like for gay people in the 90s? Was it just a question of the law lagging behind public acceptance or was there a genuine risk of prosecution or, at least, overt discrimination?

Hadn't known that. What was Ireland like for gay people in the 90s? Was it just a question of the law lagging behind public acceptance or was there a genuine risk of prosecution or, at least, overt discrimination?

No 1st gay pride was in 1983. Attacks and discrimination continued throughout the 80s and 90s, and in the last decade.

Overt discrimination still exists today with teachers afraid of coming out.

From what I remember it could be fucking nasty. There we're two lads in my school who everybody thought we're gay they got a torrid time. University wasn't much better I remember an LGB Society stall getting attacked in UCD fresher's week and there weren't that may places to go if you were gay - The George and maybe The Globe(?) but mates of mine wouldn't go there because they scabbed during the Bar strike in 1994 iirc.

If Clare voted yes that's it done and dusted! Every one knows theyre a fierce quare lot in Clare , just didn't know that encompassed quareness in all it's connotations

Not been keeping up with the results, but seems they were a bit of a divided county and had the highest and lowest in some areas. I'm enjoying all the #hometovote stories, and love the double rainbow that Dublin got today :D

On my way out - think you get the picture now. Even the latest tallies for rural areas are showing thumping Yes votes. Donegal SW is the only place I've seen where it's described as too close to call
Yeah, fantastic that it's across the board. No room for anyone to claim something's being imposed on them by some remote urban elite. Nope - it's being imposed on you by your neighbours!

Yeah, fantastic that it's across the board. No room for anyone to claim something's being imposed on them by some remote urban elite. Nope - it's being imposed on you by your neighbours!

Ah not so.

uugJke_.jpeg

"

All together now.

BRIEFCASE WANKER!

Dustin the Turkey ftw
A few years ago , 7 now I guess, when I played in an antifascist oi! Band we were playing in novi sad in Serbia, we were being hosted by the red firm hooligans of Vojvodina fc, now pretty much completely right wing, at the time all the older hools and skins were communist, we were playing in their pub, a big hammer and sickle behind the stage....the question on all the hooligans lips was.....are you really sending a turkey to the Eurovision?

Back
Top Bottom