Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Irish equal marriage referendum

If Clare voted yes that's it done and dusted! Every one knows theyre a fierce quare lot in Clare , just didn't know that encompassed quareness in all it's connotations
Im a Clare man but I would agree with you on that one to a certain degree.

When I was in Ennis last month on a trip home everyone I spoke to was a Yes except for my old lad who just wasn't going to vote. His exact words were: "Sure they can do whatever they like if you ask me, but I don't think I should have to bloody vote on it". He doesn't like having to leave the house much these days in fairness.

Radio 4 was saying this morning that anyone who had left Ireland in the last 18 months was entitled to vote, but had to do so in person. Apparently lots of people returned to Ireland from all over the world just to vote.
Well done!

Great stuff, but for the establishment it will probably still deny those of us that have been gone years a right to vote in anything relating to home.

Great report in the Irish times about how the working class areas we're solidly yes while middle class areas more split. As the report says 'the bigger the car the less likely to share' http://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...ial-class-a-factor-in-marriage-vote-1.2215451

There was also a Carlow-Kilkenny by-election. It was always going to be between FF and FG but SF did well and Labour took a beating. AAA and SWP/PBP ran against each other again, with one of them enthusing afterwards about how impressive the combined vote was. Peter O'Loughlin of "Identity Ireland", modelled on Bloc Identaire and UKIP, got 930 votes, 1.4% of first preferences.

Wonder what the %s will be like when the Nordies finally get round to voting on being the last bastion of no gay marriage in Western Europe?

Wonder what the %s will be like when the Nordies finally get round to voting on being the last bastion of no gay marriage in Western Europe?

It'll take a while; the northern ireland exe has no plans on doing so, and northern Ireland is probably the most conservative part of the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of Ronan Mullen reacting to the announcement of the referendum passing

melting-guy.jpg

It'll take a while the northern ireland exe has no plans on doing so, and northern Ireland is probably the most conservative part of the United Kingdom.
Well, certainly the majority of its representatives are most conservative.
Last month, a Sinn Féin motion on marriage equality fell after 47 Stormont assembly members voted in support while 49 unionists voted against. Even if there had been a small majority in favour, the DUP would have exercised a special veto drawn up under devolution

Yes, the DUP is still trying to 'save Ulster from sodomy'. Big Ian would be proud.

How the Reverend Doctor hated sodomy! "Not an inch!" he used to shout excitedly.

Meanwhile the electorate in the Republic has just kicked a great big hole through the Unionists' best argument - that the Irish were under the thumb of the Vatican.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom