Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Immigration to the UK - do you have concerns?

Skimmed a bit the last few pages so apologies if this is a repeat point, but strikes me that a big part of the unease might well be because the post-seventies wave of mass migration coincided with all the other economic and policy shifts that broke up settled communities, so people were losing things like e.g. the shared experience of mass employment at a few mills or factories in the town and the rest of the general atomisation. So there's these genuine causes of radical change and increased precarity, no discussion of them but a parallel change that's easy to point at.
I'm an immigrant into what's a pretty tight rural community (not that there haven't been mass social upheavals here) and no doubt also because there's just the one of me I just don't get conceived as a threat, so e.g. when I do things like go and queue up with everyone else to swap the cooking gas bottle there's at most a few tedious jokes but even they're intended to be friendly.

Have we got to the bit of the discussion where we all agree that there's little or nothing to be concerned about with immigration, but there's everything to be concerned about with the level of right wing and far right racist discourse that's being pumped out by politicians, the media, commentators and social media bellends yet?
I thought so, but I was told I was doing a straw man. And I literally still don’t know what straw man I was supposed to be constructing.

But then mostly I’ve been describing where I am emotionally after the pogroms. So since we’re dealing with emotions, it shouldn’t be surprising they’re running high.

I’ve been honest about where I am. And it isn’t to do with an intellectual or organisational position.

The right-wing / racist discourse in the media wouldn't be so effective if it's intended targeted audience were completely unable to relate to it.

What brogdale said above about asylum-seekers being concentrated in certain areas where surprise surprise there were riots goes against what others have tried to argue, i.e. that the places with riots are all very White and therefore shouldn't have their backs up about immigration.

While they were relatively small, do we really want to overlook the fact there were far-right riots in supposed liberal/lefty havens like Bristol and Manchester?

The right-wing / racist discourse in the media wouldn't be so effective if it's intended targeted audience were completely unable to relate to it.

What brogdale said above about asylum-seekers being concentrated in certain areas where surprise surprise there were riots goes against what others have tried to argue, i.e. that the places with riots are all very White and therefore shouldn't have their backs up about immigration.

While they were relatively small, do we really want to overlook the fact there were far-right riots in supposed liberal/lefty havens like Bristol and Manchester?
It is certainly pertinent. Refugees get dumped in places where housing is cheap - ie the poorest places. And they are visible in such places. But they're not taking anyone's jobs - they mostly can't work! They're relatively tiny in number compared to everyone in the country and also compared to the total number of immigrants. But their visibility in a depressed area makes them a target. They have clearly become a symbol of something for some people. And they are an easy scapegoat.

If people have seen the film The Old Oak, did anyone watch that and think 'oh but the hostile natives have a point'? I certainly didn't. There are certain lines we can, and imo should, draw here.

Last edited:
It is certainly pertinent. Refugees get dumped in places where housing is cheap - ie the poorest places. And they are visible in such places. But they're not taking anyone's jobs - they mostly can't work! They're relatively tiny in number compared to everyone in the country and also compared to the total number of immigrants. But their visibility in a depressed area makes them a target. They have clearly become a symbol of something for some people. And they are an easy scapegoat.

If people have seen the film The Old Oak, did anyone watch that and think 'oh but the hostile natives have a point'? I certainly didn't. There are certain lines we can, and imo should, draw here.
Yes, the enforced non-working status of refugees obviously raises their visibility as they attempt to fill the hours out and about in the dispersal towns. It’s easy to appreciate how the fash can cast that as lazy, scrounging invaders to those picked on and sanctioned by the state.

Yes, the enforced non-working status of refugees obviously raises their visibility as they attempt to fill the hours out and about in the dispersal towns. It’s easy to appreciate how the fash can cast that as lazy, scrounging invaders to those picked on and sanctioned by the state.
Yep. Back in the 2000s, there was a large group of Kurdish refugees in St Leonards-on-sea. They were very visible because they played football in the park every day. And they did no harm to anyone, but they would have been a target last month no doubt.

But you’re still making the assumption that this is resource-based prejudice rather than symbolic prejudice.

True, but that's happened alongside the far-right's massive growth during the same period. The two have been feeding off each other.
Tbh much of the fascist growth has been remobilising the same sort of people who voted bnp, and in many cases they may well be people who voted bnp in the 'glory days' of nick griffin's electoral adventure. The age of those nicked and prosecuted recently shows rather a bias to people of a certain age. The young uns on the right seem to go right to terrorism or photo calls and there's no organisation really behind the recent disorder, it's not like Patriotic alternative or any similar group has played much of a role as far as I can see. It's not like leaderless resistance either, in the usual sense of the term, but people who've been largely affected by austerity and want to safeguard their dwindling crumbs of the pie, turning on people in the same boat rather than turning their wrath on the people genuinely responsible.

If anything the riots, I think, have retarded any hopes fascist groups had of advances on the back of the small boats cause or people's disquiet about immigration. Who, after all, wants to be seen on the side of people who torch a cab or burn down a library? Who attack nurses? Sure, people are talking about immigration but that's no new thing, it's been a hardy perennial since at least the 1970s. And the Labour party has taken on Cameron's policy of reducing immigration to the tens of thousands - it was their policy before the recent trouble. Given the way successive governments have fucked up the country our reliance on immigration will continue and it's probably not possible and certainly not desirable to drive it down to the levels the foul Labour party would like. It's possible that the riots will make it harder for shammer to pursue his policy as there's an easy argument to be made of his adoption of the rioters' agenda.

This thread is depressing me, because wise posters, who I know for a fact understand that society operates in dimensions beyond the obvious things you see on the surface, seem determined to approach this subject only in the most simplistic, direct possible way. “Who cares what concerns racists have?”, these posters say, as if analysis is impossible beyond “ask people what is on their mind and then take the response completely literally”. It’s like 50 years of research on social constructionism never happened.

I can only reiterate. You don’t ask somebody, “what are your concerns with immigration” and then say, “oh, okay then, we better react in the most literal and surface way possible to the exact thing you’ve described”. What you do is try to understand how the way people are making sense of their reality fits into wider theorisations of reality-formation, and use that to understand what the intervention points could therefore be.

I know none of you looked at the academic paper I linked to earlier, but it was honestly doing that exact thing. It was asking, “which white people in New Zealand object to laws that seek to make financial reparations to Māori people, which white people object to laws that aim to reinstate Maori culture and are these the same white people? And if not, why not? Through this, the authors elaborate on how society displays two quite different forms of racism and prejudice — one that focuses on the allocation of resources and one that focuses on the production of symbolic capital (eg whose culture gets to be visible and prevalent). Lo and behold, these types of prejudice are driven by very different psychosocial mechanisms.

So please stop it with the “but we’ve paid attention to racists for thirty years and look where it’s got us, so now we need to just bash them instead” oversimplified straw man. We’ve only just started to really pay attention to racism in any kind of systematic and theoretical way. Most of the models date from the last 25 years. You can ignore that work, fine, but don’t pretend that it’s about appeasement or whatever other simplistic story is in your mind.

I've touched on that whilst I support immigration living in multicultural area isn't nirvana.

I did start the academic paper. Found it hard going last weekend as it's not written for layman. Will try to give it another go.

What I did get was that Maoris are getting somewhere. That the debate now has moved on. It's not quite the same as immigration debate it's more about what happens when things are planned to deal with past wrongs. And how to organise a multicultural society.

I must say when I hear the word reparations my heart sinks.

To take it more to what I know.

These kinds of discussions especially if councils/ government get involved are a minefield. Get into discussions about who was here first etc. It's not a discussion in practice. It's people getting on their soapboxes and doing their speech.

It's not far different from how this thread has gone over last few pages.

My way of dealing with these kinds of things is to steer clear of them as best I can.

If they want a symbolic statue in a square I just keep out of it. Even if I might think it looks rubbish or have other issues with it

The issue of the reparations and the shoreline. If I was there I'd want to know if it effected me materially.

Because reading that reminds me of the following

Remember a community meeting while back where a local service was discussed. Complaints etc. One group of local Black people kept on referring to it as "our" service. Everyone knew what they meant. In end one of my local Cllrs ( one of the black Cllrs) stood up and told them council services were for everybody. I was so glad he did.

Also people pick up on bits and pieces of council type diversity talk and it gets used to bang other people over the head. If there is disagreement then it sometimes gets couched in terms of who is the most working class or oppressed.

There is some of that going on at moment in group I'm in and I'm just not going.

I try to keep my head down and deal with people on individual basis or deal with bread and butter issues.

And respecting other people's space. I used to tenants rep. Informally some communities in area had there space and we had ours and it all worked fine

Problems come when there is competition for resources. Or council turn up.

It's why in previous threads I've put forward idea of civic nationalism where we all mind our own business re diversity. And why councils / politicians/ council officers thinking they are doing the right thing by making things an issue make them worse.

Seriously I was at a council consultation meeting while back. Residents turned up . Giving up there own time. First thing we got from the right on council officer was how the fact we turned up was a sign of our "privilege". And how he was going to make sure not only privileged people like us were consulted but also that staple of council speak " the hard to reach"

I'm against immigration controls and for living in multicultural society. But if this is the kind of discourse authorities use then I can understand why some people get completely turned off and resent it

Imo at moment there isn't in any form a way to discuss race / multiculturalism( class just gets forgotten) in this country in way that is constructive.

I've touched on that whilst I support immigration living in multicultural area isn't nirvana.

I did start the academic paper. Found it hard going last weekend as it's not written for layman. Will try to give it another go.

What I did get was that Maoris are getting somewhere. That the debate now has moved on. It's not quite the same as immigration debate it's more about what happens when things are planned to deal with past wrongs. And how to organise a multicultural society.

I must say when I hear the word reparations my heart sinks.

To take it more to what I know.

These kinds of discussions especially if councils/ government get involved are a minefield. Get into discussions about who was here first etc. It's not a discussion in practice. It's people getting on their soapboxes and doing their speech.

It's not far different from how this thread has gone over last few pages.

My way of dealing with these kinds of things is to steer clear of them as best I can.

If they want a symbolic statue in a square I just keep out of it. Even if I might think it looks rubbish or have other issues with it

The issue of the reparations and the shoreline. If I was there I'd want to know if it effected me materially.

Because reading that reminds me of the following

Remember a community meeting while back where a local service was discussed. Complaints etc. One group of local Black people kept on referring to it as "our" service. Everyone knew what they meant. In end one of my local Cllrs ( one of the black Cllrs) stood up and told them council services were for everybody. I was so glad he did.

Also people pick up on bits and pieces of council type diversity talk and it gets used to bang other people over the head. If there is disagreement then it sometimes gets couched in terms of who is the most working class or oppressed.

There is some of that going on at moment in group I'm in and I'm just not going.

I try to keep my head down and deal with people on individual basis or deal with bread and butter issues.

And respecting other people's space. I used to tenants rep. Informally some communities in area had there space and we had ours and it all worked fine

Problems come when there is competition for resources. Or council turn up.

It's why in previous threads I've put forward idea of civic nationalism where we all mind our own business re diversity. And why councils / politicians/ council officers thinking they are doing the right thing by making things an issue make them worse.

Seriously I was at a council consultation meeting while back. Residents turned up . Giving up there own time. First thing we got from the right on council officer was how the fact we turned up was a sign of our "privilege". And how he was going to make sure not only privileged people like us were consulted but also that staple of council speak " the hard to reach"

I'm against immigration controls and for living in multicultural society. But if this is the kind of discourse authorities use then I can understand why some people get completely turned off and resent it

Imo at moment there isn't in any form a way to discuss race / multiculturalism( class just gets forgotten) in this country in way that is constructive.
Thanks for that, Gramsci — an interesting and suitably passionate personal account of why these things are so intractable. I found it really worth reading.

Thanks for that, Gramsci — an interesting and suitably passionate personal account of why these things are so intractable. I found it really worth reading.

And thanks for your input on this thread. I don't get all of it. But it's another way of looking at things.

It's a pity some of the academic research is difficult to follow. It's that it assumes one has the background in all the different theories and terminology

It's a pity some of the academic research is difficult to follow. It's that it assumes one has the background in all the different theories and terminology
I totally agree. What’s a crying shame is that a lot of it isn’t actually all that difficult to grasp, really. The whole field is crying out for somebody to write it up as accessible pop science, in the same way that mainstream psychology has been popularised as self-help pap.

I don't even know what that means.

Such things do not have clear lines between them.
But they do, it turns out, have different psychosocial mechanisms driving them. One comes from an underlying understanding of the world as a competitive place, in which different groups of people are placed in opposition to each other. This requires members of a group to fight on behalf of their group, in search of dominance over other groups. The other mechanism is based on an underlying understanding of the world as a dangerous place. This creates a need for tight policing of social norms, since safety and order can only be maintained by a strong set of standards that everyone is forced to obey.

Both sets of processes can be present, and they aren’t totally independent from each other. But neither are they the same.

A response to prejudice that focuses on telling people that immigrants aren’t stealing their own food out their mouths, and that their difficulties should be understood as deriving from different structural origins is concerned with type 1 — the competitive worldview. This certainly is important, and much prejudice comes from this direction, I’m sure. But it ignores type 2 — the dangerous worldview — which is all about fear of the other and their alien ways.

But they do, it turns out, have different psychosocial mechanisms driving them. One comes from an underlying understanding of the world as a competitive place, in which different groups of people are placed in opposition to each other. This requires members of a group to fight on behalf of their group, in search of dominance over other groups. The other mechanism is based on an underlying understanding of the world as a dangerous place. This creates a need for tight policing of social norms, since safety and order can only be maintained by a strong set of standards that everyone is forced to obey.

Both sets of processes can be present, and they aren’t totally independent from each other. But neither are they the same.

A response to prejudice that focuses on telling people that immigrants aren’t stealing their own food out their mouths, and that their difficulties should be understood as deriving from different structural origins is concerned with type 1 — the competitive worldview. This certainly is important, and much prejudice comes from this direction, I’m sure. But it ignores type 2 — the dangerous worldview — which is all about fear of the other and their alien ways.
I see that as neat and comprehendible psychological categorisation, but I think it misses the driver(s) of resentment that derive from correlation as causation fallacies. Rather than "fighting for dominance" I perceive many of those taken in by the fash lies as defeated people who are easily persuaded that they should take no more. Undeniably provincial working class towns have lost their traditional employment base, high streets/town centres, public services and communities, all at a time when immigration has visibly increased. So I reckon that rather than 'fear of the other' or unknown, it's really more about a resentment of what has been lost and a fear of further deterioration in their circs.

I have often argued much the same in Brexit threads; the correlation as causation fallacy being membership of the supra-state in that case.

I see that as neat and comprehendible psychological categorisation, but I think it misses the driver(s) of resentment that derive from correlation as causation fallacies. Rather than "fighting for dominance" I perceive many of those taken in by the fash lies as defeated people who are easily persuaded that they should take no more. Undeniably provincial working class towns have lost their traditional employment base, high streets/town centres, public services and communities, all at a time when immigration has visibly increased. So I reckon that rather than 'fear of the other' or unknown, it's really more about a resentment of what has been lost and a fear of further deterioration in their circs.

I have often argued much the same in Brexit threads; the correlation as causation fallacy being membership of the supra-state in that case.
How does your model account for this more than 10 years ago?

Could you post your source for your claim about 4.25m more foreign born people in the UK in '22 than '11?

And before that?
Yeah, I take your point; the model is inevitably time defined with the start of deindustrialisation and the rise of the truly neoliberal state...arguably from about September 1976 onwards.

As to racist hated before that time I think I'd have to explore other drivers and maybe the dominance/fear of others model might be a better fit?

Yeah, for sure it’s just one model of many, and all models are incomplete and limited in what they can include. A good model can also give you an insight, though, into processes that you shouldn’t ignore or conflate. Like I said initially, there are lots of good structural and economical analyses of this problem. And that’s useful. But it’s not useful to ignore the other contributors to racism, nor the different ways that racism can manifest, because otherwise interventions will fail. Particularly when you’re talking about what happened in this case — violent reactions precipitated by fears from closed communities that lawless and immoral aliens are somehow threatening their children. You can’t solve that by rationally explaining that benefits for asylum seekers are extremely limited, actually.

brogdale ... and out of these a recognisable demographic reminiscent of that laid out by Ford and Godwin in their 2010 article 'angry white men' is recognisable. Your argument seems to me to rest on their views being representative of the communities from which they come, even if other members of those communities might express their views through other means. While it's obviously possible you're right and this was in part about declining northern towns and identical high streets, I don't think it was as the devastation seems to have been remarkable widely targeted - cab office, library, Gregg's etc. I submit that few people concerned about their local community would burn out a cab or library, which smacks more of disdain for the community, however defined, than loyalty to it.

re: the boats.
"According to Home Office data, more than 800 asylum seekers have made the perilous journey in the last week alone."
800? I wonder if the people getting so riled realise it's such a tiny number?
The idea that some of the people making all the noise about immigration would be perfectly happy if there were 800 fewer immigrants in the UK... laughable.

re: the boats.
"According to Home Office data, more than 800 asylum seekers have made the perilous journey in the last week alone."
800? I wonder if the people getting so riled realise it's such a tiny number?
The idea that some of the people making all the noise about immigration would be perfectly happy if there were 800 fewer immigrants in the UK... laughable.

:hmm: You realise that says 800 in a week?

Back
Top Bottom