Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I think that might be the final straw for me at the RailUK forums

No he was responding to Orang's comment where he notes that the only time he gets a 'no' from the automated barrier is when there's no credit on his oyster card.

Did they really talk to the staff member concerned though?
Almost certainly not. They’d have realised from the tone of his complaint that they had a vituperative and deranged version of Roy Cropper on their hands, especially when he started banging on about “pax”; and treated the complaint with the seriousness it deserved.

Last edited:
This is not what the placards would say though. They would be saying the opposite.
It would be sardonic, or ironic, or something. Also the opposite would presumably be, 'GOD HATES STICKLERS FOR THE NATIONAL ROUTING GUIDE RULES' or perhaps 'GOD LOVES NATIONAL ROUTING GUIDE RULE VIOLATORS', and that wouldn't make any sense, would it.

What I think you really mean is something like, 'GOD HATES PEOPLE WITH VALID TICKETS WHO NONETHELESS MEEKLY SUBMIT TO AN INCORRECT CHALLENGE BY TfL STAFF' and that's neither the opposite nor concise enough for a standard sized placard.

This thread is genuinely astonishing. And that last post is the sparkler in the top of the cake.

I might start a thread about you...at some point

Urban, eh :D

It wouldn't be about bahnhof strasse specifically. It would be about the slightly disturbing tendency some have to be judgemental about the sex lives of others.

It would be sardonic, or ironic, or something. Also the opposite would presumably be, 'GOD HATES STICKLERS FOR THE NATIONAL ROUTING GUIDE RULES' or perhaps 'GOD LOVES NATIONAL ROUTING GUIDE RULE VIOLATORS', and that wouldn't make any sense, would it.

What I think you really mean is something like, 'GOD HATES PEOPLE WITH VALID TICKETS WHO NONETHELESS MEEKLY SUBMIT TO AN INCORRECT CHALLENGE BY TfL STAFF' and that's neither the opposite nor concise enough for a standard sized placard.

The first one would do. Will it fit on your standard placard?

Also let's consider the case where the ticketholder is not an expendable elderly at the end of their track but instead is a bright young spark with their whole life ahead of them, and yet on this day it does not appear as such to them, perhaps after a difficult breakup or getting fatally bogged down in an interminable discussion about fare structures, and they intend to relieve themselves of their mortal struggles by casting themselves under the next Piccadilly Line service to Cockfosters. Now upon attempting to enter the station, the automated ticket barrier tells them, 'SEEK ASSISTANCE', and they are forced to at least briefly consider whether this is more than just coincidence. On discussing the matter at length with the nearby TfL staff member - and for the purposes of this story we will leave it ambiguous as to whether they are actually a direct manifestation of e.g. God, agent of the cross and all - their attempt to gain access is denied, which is technically incorrect but ethically more intriguing, I'm sure you'll agree. As they leave the station in some degree of distress they inadvertently collide with another commuter, an old acquaintance that they had lost contact with. A conversation ensues and they take a break from their respective journeys to sit in a nearby cafe and chat about life, love and the intricacies of inter-modal ticketing systems, a subject which it transpires is unusually close to both their hearts, having each lost a beloved grandparent in the Winter of Discontented Railcard Holders. They vow, much as Jesus once went into the temple and overturned the tables of the car bootists, to throw out these overly complicated terms and conditions and replace them with a bright new dawn of simplicity. They run for office, win, marry, bear or otherwise adopt seven children all fair of face and strong of consumer rail knowledge, and the sun shines on a thousand year rule in the kingdom of immediately comprehensible travel terms. Whereas if teuchter had had his, I don't want to say evil but certainly callous, way, there would be nothing but sorrow and train jam. So you know, two sides to every story.

Also let's consider the case where the ticketholder is not an expendable elderly at the end of their track but instead is a bright young spark with their whole life ahead of them, and yet on this day it does not appear as such to them, perhaps after a difficult breakup or getting fatally bogged down in an interminable discussion about fare structures, and they intend to relieve themselves of their mortal struggles by casting themselves under the next Piccadilly Line service to Cockfosters. Now upon attempting to enter the station, the automated ticket barrier tells them, 'SEEK ASSISTANCE', and they are forced to at least briefly consider whether this is more than just coincidence. On discussing the matter at length with the nearby TfL staff member - and for the purposes of this story we will leave it ambiguous as to whether they are actually a direct manifestation of e.g. God, agent of the cross and all - their attempt to gain access is denied, which is technically incorrect but ethically more intriguing, I'm sure you'll agree. As they leave the station in some degree of distress they inadvertently collide with another commuter, an old acquaintance that they had lost contact with. A conversation ensues and they take a break from their respective journeys to sit in a nearby cafe and chat about life, love and the intricacies of inter-modal ticketing systems, a subject which it transpires is unusually close to both their hearts, having each lost a beloved grandparent in the Winter of Discontented Railcard Holders. They vow, much as Jesus once went into the temple and overturned the tables of the car bootists, to throw out these overly complicated terms and conditions and replace them with a bright new dawn of simplicity. They run for office, win, marry, bear or otherwise adopt seven children all fair of face and strong of consumer rail knowledge, and the sun shines on a thousand year rule in the kingdom of immediately comprehensible travel terms. Whereas if teuchter had had his, I don't want to say evil but certainly callous, way, there would be nothing but sorrow and train jam. So you know, two sides to every story.
I love you Mauvais. That's the second time you've made me actually cry with lulz on this thread (the other was the frozen sausages thing).

Oh Urban, you really can lift a Sunday morning from pleasantly mundane to chest-heavingly entertaining.

Not many people know this, but Osama bin Laden was a reasonable, moderate person who harboured no ill thoughts towards America for most of his life. One fateful day though, flying back home on business class during a trip to the US, he tried to enter the airport business lounge, as his ticket entitled him to do. The employee at the front desk did not initially recognise his boarding pass as being good for lounge access, and told him he was not allowed to come in.

A short discussion ensued, after which the employee told bin Laden he would be allowed in after all. The damage was done though, and from that day onward bin Laden developed a hatred towards the USA that culminated in the tragic events of 9/11. That gross incompetence of one employee caused the deaths of 3,000 people in America, not to mention a war in the Middle East with hundreds of thousands more dead and displaced, and the eventual rise is ISIS.

Being fully aware of the repercussions of such errors, I take a zero tolerance approach to any mistakes I witness when I fly, and always make formal complaints about any employees who make them. I feel it's my civic duty to do so. Who knows if the next man erroneously told by a careless airline employee he is not entitled to priority boarding might turn out to be the next bin Laden.

Not many people know this, but Osama bin Laden was a reasonable, moderate person who harboured no ill thoughts towards America for most of his life. One fateful day though, flying back home on business class during a trip to the US, he tried to enter the airport business lounge, as his ticket entitled him to do. The employee at the front desk did not initially recognise his boarding pass as being good for lounge access, and told him he was not allowed to come in.

A short discussion ensued, after which the employee told bin Laden he would be allowed in after all. The damage was done though, and from that day onward bin Laden developed a hatred towards the USA that culminated in the tragic events of 9/11. That gross incompetence of one employee caused the deaths of 3,000 people in America, not to mention a war in the Middle East with hundreds of thousands more dead and displaced, and the eventual rise is ISIS.

Being fully aware of the repercussions of such errors, I take a zero tolerance approach to any mistakes I witness when I fly, and always make formal complaints about any employees who make them. I feel it's my civic duty to do so. Who knows if the next man erroneously told by a careless airline employee he is not entitled to priority boarding might turn out to be the next bin Laden.
Hmm. That puts Bungle's inchoate fury into a rather more sinister context. Do you think he might have become radicalised?

The first line of what is now the Vienna underground railway (Ubahn) opened in 1898. I’m sure when it opened with just one line it had a simple ticketing system.

It seems likely that over a dozen or so years of operations the fare schedule would have grown more complex, to the point of driving people to rage.

Adolph Hitler lived in Vienna from 1908 to 1913.

Join the dots people. Join the dots.

What a fucking ridiculous thread!

I only skimmed read the first part, before jumping to where it was bumped by Bungle over his latest ban from the rail forums, which turned-out not to be a ban anyway. :facepalm: I am struggling with why he bumped it, in view of the complete shitstorm that had taken place before, and without thinking it would likely take-off again.

But, putting that & his previous posting history, which I wasn't aware off, aside, I don't see anything wrong with Bungle73 drawing TfL's attention to his experience*, as I am sure it would just result in a little word with the staff member concerned in order to put them straight, and avoid such a mistake happening again. Whilst his apparent outrage on here, over what was a minor issue, is somewhat OTT, I don't think he deserved half the shit thrown at him.

*That's assuming his letter of complaint was in a reasonable tone, and not in a 'Mr Angry of Tunbridge Wells' style, and I admit that may be assumption too far.

Mind you, in amongst the shit, there's been some posts that have been real gems. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom