Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can anyone please direct me to a site that lists London bus routes in full?

The Tate, the one with the Turners.
Tate Britain. Most people think of Tate Modern when you just say 'Tate' nowadays.

C10 bus goes all the way from Lower Marsh, which is a short walk from Waterloo. Depending on exactly where you're staying, there may be good bus routes like that that pass near Waterloo. You haven't asked about the IWM. I'm guessing you'll walk there?

See I really like the city mapper app. It brings everything together with real time updates, and you can use it in cities other than London.

Both London Tate galleries are fantastic for their own reasons.

Tate Britain being responsible for one of my formative art experiences back when it was just The Tate Gallery and it had a gigantic steel sculpture extending from the entrance to under the dome.

Tate Modern has the Equivalent Eight and the Rothkos.

But I digress...

Both London Tate galleries are fantastic for their own reasons.

Tate Britain being responsible for one of my formative art experiences back when it was just The Tate Gallery and it had a gigantic steel sculpture extending from the entrance to under the dome.

Tate Modern has the Equivalent Eight and the Rothkos.

But I digress...
And the Tanks at Tate Modern are some of the most spectacular spaces for art anywhere in the world.

I would wager that Sas would like the Tate Modern more than he thinks he would. Probably best to skip the Saatchi, though. ;)

I love the Rothko room at the Tate Modern, but I know some people are actually made angry by it. People are strange.

I would wager that Sas would like the Tate Modern more than he thinks he would. Probably best to skip the Saatchi, though. ;)

I love the Rothko room at the Tate Modern, but I know some people are actually made angry by it. People are strange.
Maybe it's the colours. Red and black can be very triggering!

the 2 minutes walk from Hackney Central Station to Hackney Central Station is a bit odd - I think it's trying to say that's walk time from platform to street entrance (they will be in the data as separate places), but it is a bit weird.
It wanted me to spend about 15 minutes walking from Camden Town underground station to Camden Town underground station the other week. It also gave me the wrong time for the last tube I could catch for the same journey. I left a great gig earlier than I needed to and wound up sitting in a freezing coach station for ages :mad:

I've had a few other weird results recently too but just assumed it was down to me not being that familiar with London transport.

I set this to fewest changes rather than fastest route as the fastest route was just mental, 3 changes...

It should be BG - Holborn - GR as any fule kno.

The machine is insane.

1672493771817.png

Tate Britain. Most people think of Tate Modern when you just say 'Tate' nowadays.

C10 bus goes all the way from Lower Marsh, which is a short walk from Waterloo. Depending on exactly where you're staying, there may be good bus routes like that that pass near Waterloo. You haven't asked about the IWM. I'm guessing you'll walk there?

Aye, the IWM is close by.

I'll be staying in the Union Jack Club, which is right by Waterloo Station.

Off piste a little, the Tate modern has a Cezanne exhibition, but only until march.
Saw it, it's good. I don't like Cezanne that much but it was an interesting exhibition and I learnt quite a bit. I'd never understood his 'swimmers/bathers' pictures before.

He's still not a favourite mind.

Aye, the IWM is close by.

I'll be staying in the Union Jack Club, which is right by Waterloo Station.
Is it just you or are you going with Mrs Sas and/or friends? If it's more than just one person one of the greatest mini-luxuries on Earth, London Hackney Cabs, aren't that much more for some hourneys.

Is it just you or are you going with Mrs Sas and/or friends? If it's more than just one person one of the greatest mini-luxuries on Earth, London Hackney Cabs, aren't that much more for some hourneys.
Just me. :(

We are off to Turkey in May, Mrs Sas feels that that is enough travelling.

can you bump the thread some time like march? some of the bus routes mentioned are likely to change at some point in 2023, but it's not yet clear when.

the tate modern has its merits - it's a great building, and some of the stuff in there is hilarious, although you do get funny looks if you laugh too loud...

(disclaimer - i accept that art is subjective, each to their own and all that sort of thing)
I will do, thank you.

Don't go near the rickshaws.
On the other end of the time frame, the national portrait gallery does not reopen until end of June.
The Royal Chelsea Hospital is an interesting pick - not an awful lot to see there yet.
Sticking with the military stuff, the are a few military museums in town, imperial war is one of the bigger ones.

On the other end of the time frame, the national portrait gallery does not reopen until end of June.
The Royal Chelsea Hospital is an interesting pick - not an awful lot to see there yet.
Sticking with the military stuff, the are a few military museums in town, imperial war is one of the bigger ones.
Also, now Cross Rail is open. The Royal Artillery museum in Woolwich will be much easier to get to.

Also, have you seen the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower? You get a private tour first as they close up. You need an invite, but I'm sure your regimental (pr equivalent) association will be able to put you in touch with them.

I did my geriatrics part of nurse training at the RHC, just want to see what the new infirmary looks like, and have a wander round the grounds.

Whilst I was there the Flower Show was on, we had direct access via the back door of the infirmary. I went round twenty minutes after the Queen had been.

Also, now Cross Rail is open. The Royal Artillery museum in Woolwich will be much easier to get to.

it is not no longer in woolwich. they moved it in to the former arsenal grounds in 2001, but it closed in 2016, and the greenwich heritage centre (also on the arsenal site) closed in 2018.

they are now contemplating a new site on salisbury plain.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they are expanding the visitors area but can't easily find links right now.
See you there for a cuppa as it's about 6 stops away from me on the 170 route.
Be warned, local watering holes are not cheap and can be sniffy.

Reactions: tim
I've had a few other weird results recently too but just assumed it was down to me not being that familiar with London transport.

The machine is insane.

:hmm:

i'm not personally involved at any level in what goes in to the TFL journey planner, but all does not seem entirely well.

the tech behind it was developed in the early 2000's for one of the german cities, and was (when it was launched in 2002) quite new and radical, and offered options to plan to / from addresses / postcodes / areas / points of interest (eg. museums, shopping centres) so was quite a step forward then.

compare with national rail enquiries which has about 2,500 railway stations - there are 19,000 bus stops in london

i'm sure the software has been updated over the years, but i'm starting to wonder if the whole thing needs a 'start from scratch' review rather than mere updates.

the other strand to anything like this is that it does require time and effort to make sure that the data goes in is right in the first place, and to try and work out why any silliness is happening and put a stop to it. I'm aware TFL has been in something of a financial tailspin for some time, and they may well be short of staff. Again, experience elsewhere has shown that some senior management / politicians are keen on having shiny new system, but say 'look at the big picture' when it comes to the boring stuff like getting the data right...

Back
Top Bottom