Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can anyone please direct me to a site that lists London bus routes in full?

it is not no longer in woolwich. they moved it in to the former arsenal grounds in 2001, but it closed in 2016, and the greenwich heritage centre (also on the arsenal site) closed in 2018.

they are now contemplating a new site on salisbury plain.

Which tube line is that? :D

Reactions: tim
The Imperial War Museum has had a major makeover and is fantastic. I always loved it but it's even better now.

The Holocaust gallery is extremely good. Even if you do emerge from it utterly broken.

Isn't it funny how people see things differently? I feel exactly the opposite, I think it has been simplified too much. It's still great though.

Hard agree on the Holocaust gallery though.

I never use tfl for planning journeys, but their live bus tracker is great. No more standing at a bus stop at 2 in the morning not knowing if a bus is a minute or an hour away.

It's never been good with a little walking combined with fewest changes and often ignores the overground, maybe Thameslink as well.

The Imperial War Museum has had a major makeover and is fantastic. I always loved it but it's even better now.

The Holocaust gallery is extremely good. Even if you do emerge from it utterly broken.

I went a couple of years ago with cupid_stunt and Spymaster. It was good.

The things that shocked me were the small size of Little Boy, and the huge V2 rockets.

1672504766434.jpeg

1672504865661.jpeg

The smaller winged object is a 'Doodlebug'.

In comparison to tother side of border it would appear that way I guess.

When I worked for Roche, it was eight week training course. Flying home from Heathrow on Friday, back down on Sunday. It always astonished me how much difference there was in temperature between London and Edinburgh.

I don't do heat terribly well now, hence an April trip.

The other thing I'm going to do this year is go to the IMAX just down from Waterloo, I'm told it is an amazing experience.

Isn't it funny how people see things differently? I feel exactly the opposite, I think it has been simplified too much. It's still great though.

Hard agree on the Holocaust gallery though.
I found the main galleries a fairly condensed experience of the history when I went at Easter, but then I know the history of WW2 already so I don’t need it written out again.

I did enjoy the focus on the stories of individuals and in particular the exploits of commonwealth troops - as this was something I didn’t know. Once you know the historical context, the personal recollections bring it to life far better than bald statistics on an information panel ever can.

Also, now Cross Rail is open. The Royal Artillery museum in Woolwich will be much easier to get to.

Also, have you seen the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower? You get a private tour first as they close up. You need an invite, but I'm sure your regimental (pr equivalent) association will be able to put you in touch with them.
This was in an update received today Attend the Tower of London's ancient Ceremony of the Keys - ianVisits

Much more interestingly is a Freud exhibition at the National, which sadly closes at the end of the month. Would love to go and see it but doubt I can make it 😰

I know this is not exactly the thread for it, but as it is still a bus thread, shoot me. I am still extremely annoyed at the policy of stopping buses at a stop ‘to help regulate’ the service.

It might make some kind of sense out in the sticks, or even in London regarding night buses or those few fringe routes that are infrequent and the only option in the area.

But for the great majority of London during business hours, certainly in areas served by several routes or even one route that’s mean to come every ten minutes or so, absolutely nobody relies on any official published timetable. You walk to the nearest bus stop, and then jump on the first bus that comes along that will take you to your destination.

Fuck going extra slowly or spending 3-5 minutes sitting at a bus stop to ‘help even up the service’. In London, you just walk to the nearest bus stop as soon as ready to leave for work, and be transported as quickly as possible by the first bus that arrives.

I have a choice of three different bus routes to take me from my home to Brixton tube. The fact that if you’re in a hurry you might need to consider getting off your bus that’s been ordered to sit idle for five minutes ‘regulating the service’ at 9 am, and jump on to another one coming up behind, is as infuriating as a load of old shit.

Rant over, sorry for the derail.

I know this is not exactly the thread for it, but as it is still a bus thread, shoot me. I am still extremely annoyed at the policy of stopping buses at a stop ‘to help regulate’ the service.

It might make some kind of sense out in the sticks, or even in London regarding night buses or those few fringe routes that are infrequent and the only option in the area.

But for the great majority of London during business hours, certainly in areas served by several routes or even one route that’s mean to come every ten minutes or so, absolutely nobody relies on any official published timetable. You walk to the nearest bus stop, and then jump on the first bus that comes along that will take you to your destination.

Fuck going extra slowly or spending 3-5 minutes sitting at a bus stop to ‘help even up the service’. In London, you just walk to the nearest bus stop as soon as ready to leave for work, and be transported as quickly as possible by the first bus that arrives.

I have a choice of three different bus routes to take me from my home to Brixton tube. The fact that if you’re in a hurry you might need to consider getting off your bus that’s been ordered to sit idle for five minutes ‘regulating the service’ at 9 am, and jump on to another one coming up behind, is as infuriating as a load of old shit.

That's nothing. Imagine getting the 170 to Victoria and they terminate it early at the Royal Army Museum or the 344 to tooting and you get chucked off at Battersea power station and then have to wait 10 minutes in the pouring rain for the next one to arrive 😡

Back when the 253 and 254 were one bus, iirc my record for spotting buses in a row at Stamford Hill (about slap bang in the middle of the route) was 5 buses then a car then a sixth bus. That was exceptional, but three in a row was very common, followed by a huge gap.

As hash tag says, for me the thing that's infuriating is terminating buses early after you've got on them. At least you don't have to sort out a transfer ticket nowadays with the hopper fare, but you go from sitting comfortably with transport sorted to having a problem getting home again, often with little or no warning. I know why it happens but it feels like it should at least come with an apology when it does happen.

What the fastest route from Pall Mall to Heathrow?

Five buses apparently, even though it gives the actual fastest route in "other options"

that's an interesting one - 702, 4 and 5 listed there are not TFL buses, so won't accept travelcard / oyster and won't be included within TFL fare capping. At one point, the TFL journey planner showed 'non london' buses in a different colour or something. I'm not quite sure about 2 changes from Langley to T4 either.

although I'm not sure the london bus network (daytime at least) even tries to cater for journeys as long as that any more...

Without wishing to make any assumptions about your age Sasaferrato :p , presuming you qualify for a bus pass, is that valid for the whole of Britain, or are there separate Scottish, Welsh and English bus passes not valid outside their own jurisdictions?

Without wishing to make any assumptions @Sasaferrato , presuming you qualify for a bus pass, is that valid for the whole of Britain, or are there separate Scottish, Welsh and English bus passes not valid outside their own jurisdictions?

we had that a page or two back - they are 'national' in the 4 countries of the UK, not UK wide.

when a (westminster) politician says 'national' it might mean england, or england + wales, or england + wales + scotland, or the whole UK, depending on whether it's something that is devolved to any of the other countries.

and in some cases, 'national' in england doesn't include london where there is separate law

hope that helps

:p

Might be a bad idea they might adopt him. :eek: :(
I'm eligible*. I have a War pension. If I went in, I would forfeit the War Pension, but keep state pension and any other pensions.

It is the best of gigs. Three meals, cheap bar, go all over in the Summer...

*I would be were I not married.

That's nothing. Imagine getting the 170 to Victoria and they terminate it early at the Royal Army Museum or the 344 to tooting and you get chucked off at Battersea power station and then have to wait 10 minutes in the pouring rain for the next one to arrive 😡

Back when the 253 and 254 were one bus, iirc my record for spotting buses in a row at Stamford Hill (about slap bang in the middle of the route) was 5 buses then a car then a sixth bus. That was exceptional, but three in a row was very common, followed by a huge gap.

yes - think i encountered 6 buses together on route 8 once.

to go back to the original question, at one point in time, buses would just sit and wait somewhere if they were running early (usually the stop before a town centre location where there might be an inspector) - although since overtime was rounded up or down to the nearest quarter hour, a bus running 6 or 7 minutes late would never arrive at the crew relief point less than 8 minutes late and the driver / crew would also lose a minute or two to achieve this.

there are ways of losing time subtly rather than sitting and waiting, and in theory the box of tricks in the driver's cab of a london bus should show the driver if they are starting to get close to the bus in front without control needing to tell them to sit and wait (and many controllers will ask drivers to slow down a bit rather than stop and wait.) Although it's sod's law that if you're running late, you will always get later for whatever reason, but if you're running early and trying to lose a bit of time, every traffic light will stay green however much you slow down.

Ultimately with London buses, the customer is TFL and performance is largely measured by their computers, and the bus operators get paid a bonus (or get paid less) depending on exceeding / failing to meet TFL targets. On 'frequent' routes (every 12 minutes or better) TFL measure punctuality by 'excess waiting time' (i.e. how often there's a gap of more than the advertised headway, rather than each bus being on its exact time - in theory if every single bus on this route is running an hour late, the public won't see the join.)

In practice, this can result in everything ending up at the speed of the slowest bus / driver out there, and control also have to balance this with trying not to lose mileage somewhere, and also with getting drivers back to base at the right time for their break / end of duty (drivers hours rules are not negotiable, and if driver is late finishing the first half of their duty, then it can louse up the second half) so buses will get 'turned short' if there's no other option.

Some controllers are better than others at it, and if they come back to a route after dealing with an emergency somewhere else, they might try a bit too hard in one go. Buses being held a stop or two before a point where a lot of passengers want to get off is bloody annoying. As is getting within sight of the bus in front, then getting held, then turned short...

we had that a page or two back - they are 'national' in the 4 countries of the UK, not UK wide.

when a (westminster) politician says 'national' it might mean england, or england + wales, or england + wales + scotland, or the whole UK, depending on whether it's something that is devolved to any of the other countries.

and in some cases, 'national' in england doesn't include london where there is separate law

hope that helps

:p
Well, I guess given the mind-blowing permutations, variations, restrictions and rules governing rail fares in the UK, I guess it would have been damned rude of the bus network to make it any easier for pensioners.

Back
Top Bottom