Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Superloop - round London bus service

Oh, we took 3 goes at the Southern bit; no way I'd want to do the whole thing in one go :eek:

On our trip on the Sloop ("John") 3 yesterday, we stopped off in Sidcup; never been there before...nice chassas

One thing I've noticed about the superloops I've been on (SL9 and the SL8- the Shepherds Bush one) is the long time spent at stops when half the bus exits and and a similar number get on.

I've made my peace with the fact that the advantage of limited stops is cancelled by being stuck in the same traffic as non superloops

I've made my peace with the fact that the advantage of limited stops is cancelled by being stuck in the same traffic as non superloops
Yes, I think that's the reality of the Sloops, but in non-rush hour times around the genuine outer loop routes the things can get a real wiggle on and you do genuinely feel the X-bus type progress.

I welcome it, but wish it was possible to do an actual express route. It takes well over an hour to go from Croydon to Kingston most of the time just because of the traffic. Bromley should be only 20 minutes away, takes about that long by bike, but due to congestion the superloop bus usually takes something like 45 -50 minutes. I can literally run there just as fast.

I'll have to watch that Marshall video. I bet that's fun.

and this hasn't come back as part of superloop

i000046o_0.jpg

(it was launched in festival of britain year - don't think it lasted more than a summer season or two)

Neither. Enjoying being an anorak. 2 down, Woolwich ferry and 5 more to go.
Cor blimey. That is quite an undertaking. It's going to be about 9 hours isn't it?
You should have done a google maps location share.

Where did you start?
If it was me I'd start in Croydon (handy because I live there) go all the way around and into the centre (are you doing the croydon to central london arm, or missing that out as it is not technically part of the 'loop').

We did start in Croydon. A big trip down memory lane. When past where I was born then grew up some of the old pubs I frequented. Now on SL1 Walthamstow to North Finchley.

are you doing the croydon to central london arm, or missing that out as it is not technically part of the 'loop'

that bit won't be running today with it being a bank holiday / sunday service

the SL8 (was 607) from uxbridge to white city - also not part of the loop - does run on a bank holiday, though

We did start in Croydon. A big trip down memory lane. When past where I was born then grew up some of the old pubs I frequented. Now on SL1 Walthamstow to North Finchley.
Which direction are you going? Sounds like it might be anti clockwise? . . . but that would be madness!!

We just screwed up and saw our Finchley to harrow bus not stop at the first stop, so our first 15 minute wait. Longest previous wait was 6 minutes.

There was a point in the 1980s (I think) where a lot of DMSs had white upper decks and red lower ones, which I thought looked veh smart at the time...

mid to late 70s (in terms of when things got that livery)

MDs (delivered in 1976/7) got that livery, as did DM/ DMSs from the same era

and the first few Titans / Metrobuses did

but while the livery hung on until buses got repainted, i think it went out before the 80s started.

Back
Top Bottom