Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drivers who don't indicate at junctions

It is really though, isn't it?

Peds now have preference if they're crossing a road that the driver is turning into or exiting; and obviously have always had priority at crossing points.

What would you like to see change?

Drivers don’t know that. I have had some hairy moments trying to exercise my priority as a pedestrian crossing minor roads.

Is there any legitimate benefit to doing these Advanced Driving Courses? They seem to turn people into smug complacent bellends who are more of a danger than someone who’s just passed their test
What if you're already a smug complacent bellend?

I have started looking at IAM courses. I want to find out if it could get me cheaper car insurance, I already believe they could make me a better driver - because I have gotten into some bad habits over the years.

I have started looking at IAM courses. I want to find out if it could get me cheaper car insurance, I already believe they could make me a better driver - because I have gotten into some bad habits over the years.
Iafter passing an IAMs course, I could not find cheaper insurance. Best way for that is shop around and tweak information. Changing a job title will effect the premium, changing status from divorced to single can also reduce premiums.

I did it back in about 2010 so out of date now - but at most any insurance discount only covered the IAM membership fee. Of course, not crashing your car (or being crashed into) reduces your car insurance premiums.

It's worth doing on its own merits, but IMO it's quite difficult, especially changing habits. And there's lots of factors about the whole thing that might put you off midway.

It's been a long time since I was involved in this stuff but IIRC you're on the south coast and also IIRC Brighton have a decent group with some good tutors.

Iafter passing an IAMs course, I could not find cheaper insurance. Best way for that is shop around and tweak information. Changing a job title will effect the premium, changing status from divorced to single can also reduce premiums.
My Insurers are quite good at giving me a loyalty discount when I complain. Last year they tried to put it up so I called, I am a year older, year more no claims etc, willing to go to the comparison sites etc .. they lowered it to the same as the year before.

Then I bought a new second hand car, and calling them from the dealers front room they demanded £40.00 for converting the policy to the new car. At that moment I couldn't be bothered to argue, but when the annual renewal comes up I am going to have a proper go at them this time.

If they don't offer a discount for IAM I might do it anyhow, as I mentioned I have gotten some bad habits over the years.

I did it back in about 2010 so out of date now - but at most any insurance discount only covered the IAM membership fee. Of course, not crashing your car (or being crashed into) reduces your car insurance premiums.

It's worth doing on its own merits, but IMO it's quite difficult, especially changing habits. And there's lots of factors about the whole thing that might put you off midway.
Hi mauvais, what sort of things could put me off?

Hi mauvais, what sort of things could put me off?
Their observers vary wildly from pragmatic to dogmatic, and some of the dogma is not necessarily explained/justified/relatable. If you have different observers each time then they might contradict each other. It's all quite old fashioned in a lot of ways. When you start adapting to their way of doing things, your driving will probably get worse for a while and it all seems a bit questionable.

But it definitely improved my driving, taught me things like 'making progress' and overtaking properly, and all these years later I still do things mostly their way. Touch wood, never had a near miss, never mind an accident.

If you search my posts on here for IAM I imagine I will have said similar before.

It's 'East Sussex IAM' that I was thinking of as one of the best groups, along with Bristol. No idea if that's still true, though I suspect it probably is.

Last edited:
Their observers vary wildly from pragmatic to dogmatic, and some of the dogma is not necessarily explained/justified/relatable. If you have different observers each time then they might contradict each other. It's all quite old fashioned in a lot of ways. When you start adapting to their way of doing things, your driving will probably get worse for a while and it all seems a bit questionable.

But it definitely improved my driving, taught me things like 'making progress' and overtaking properly, and all these years later I still do things mostly their way. Touch wood, never had a near miss, never mind an accident.

If you search my posts on here for IAM I imagine I will have said similar before.
I'm not sure about making my driving worse for a while but I did have to adapt my thinking when approaching junctions. The thing I learnt was about how you can unexpectedly take control of many different situations.

It is really though, isn't it?

Peds now have preference if they're crossing a road that the driver is turning into or exiting; and obviously have always had priority at crossing points.

What would you like to see change?
On paper maybe, but in reality people who don't indicate at junctions just carry on doing so.

As for indicating, like various people have said, I don't think they even really say you mustn't if nobody is around. But you would be challenged on why you'd done it if there wasn't anyone to benefit.

The idea was, again as said, to remove habitual unthinking behaviours when conscious ones would serve everyone better. You shouldn't consider yourself infallible but if you were any good at driving then situations where you didn't observe a hazard ought to be extremely rare. So the habit ought to be looking, identifying the need and then doing something about that.

If you were in a busy urban environment then the answer should be simple - someone may benefit. If you were exiting an apparently empty motorway then either nobody would benefit, or you have fucked up big time on observation and situational awareness, sort yourself out.

So, if you wholly subscribe to or reject this theory, which you don't exactly have to do, then the choice is really between 'don't ever fuck it up', and 'always give people clues just in case you do fuck it up'. The IAM probably thinks you should be able to do the first one, and I think they're basically right. And giving people clues is no guarantee they'll see or benefit from them, leaving you with 'but I was indicating!' twattery.

I think people take this one a bit too seriously though, and why not, it's classic Internet argument material.

How about cars on a motorway, surely similar rules apply?

I suggested re-visiting the notion of right of way.
In my experience many people assume right of way when it can be wrong, or dangerous.
Even with the reinforced 'rules' for drivers to give way to pedestrians at turnings and other junctions, there is often needed school patrol officers to help people against the threat of the traffic.
For many speed and might mean you have the right because other poor buggers are not as big or fast.

Back
Top Bottom