Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drivers who are new to automatics

I spent my first few years of driving with a manual, moved to the USA - where I was converted to automatics, and have happily spent the past few decades in the UK driving automatics. As many commentators have pointed out, modern automatics bear no resemblance to the thirsty, sluggish, unreliable autoboxes of the past. In fact modern automatic gearboxes are usually zippier and more economical than manuals.

There is another big advantage:

After 16 years of Tory misrule, 50% of drivers worse than average. But an automatic gearbox protects the car from incompetent driver abuse in several ways:

1) engine: autobox obviates manual drivers' tendency to over-rev, or more usually under-rev, their engines, aggravating engine wear
2) clutch: similarly, manual drivers abuse clutches (slippage). No manual, no clutch
3) gearbox: no grinding gears or otherwise stressing/damaging a manual gearbox

By protecting the drivetrain from the driver, an autobot can extend the life of a car, and reduce repair bills

Last edited:
I've not been impressed by the 'hill start' features of modern [semi-]automatics thus far. Seemingly 'loose' and not predictable. But then maybe that's because I've only hired cars and previous drivers have [mis|ab]used the transmissions? Otherwise, fine for driving on sealed roads. Great (reduction of driver workload) if you are driving long distances on such or are trapped in the urban jungle.

LH v RH: I once flew to LAX (10+ hours from LHR), jumped in a rental and drove to the beach to relax for a few hours before the joyride to the far side of LA to meet a friend. Parked in a multi-storey on the sea front. The exit was a one way street leading to a signal-controlled crossroads (the three exits there being bidirectional). Turning right, as soon as the light changed, I instinctively, momentarily, aimed for the left only to swerve hard right across a sea of open-mouthed motorists at that light. I waved out the open window and cheerily shouted "I'm British" as I drove off. Perhaps the beach was too relaxing.

I don't think it will be an issue switching from manual to auto. I regularly drive manuals, autos and electrics and it's jus something you get used to.
The debates I've had with people who only drive autos is do you drop it into neutral and use hand brake at traffic lights. I do, but they just stand on the brake.

I don't think it will be an issue switching from manual to auto. I regularly drive manuals, autos and electrics and it's jus something you get used to.
The debates I've had with people who only drive autos is do you drop it into neutral and use hand brake at traffic lights. I do, but they just stand on the brake.
Might be factoring in auto stop/start fuel saving/environmental emissions reduction feature?

The handbook says it might have made a difference in the past, but nowadays it doesn’t affect either fuel or the transmission. The only reason you might want to go into neutral in that situation is if you’re going to be stopped for a long time and want to give your foot a rest.

Apparently.

I don't think I've ever used neutral in an automatic car.

Same as you learn to downshift before you start to overtake, you learn to push the pedal down before you pull out. It's different, not worse. Any competent driver can fully control what gear you're in given a week to get used to it. Part of what you ( @Sas - had a few posts while I was writing thing) had is just Mercedes being Mercedes. They've programmed it for a certain driving style. Even out of the 1980s, my old BMW (don't hate me for an auto Bimmer, it was Canada and it was hard to find a stick car) was far more responsive than my step-dad's Merc.

Though recent (past ~10 yrs) automatics are a lot better at trying to guess what's on. The worst thing is driving one of those ones that adapt to the driver's preference when the driver in question is Dr. Slowpoke. I cannot stand driving my mum's car because of that, and she always says how the car is incredibly more responsive after I've visited because the computer has adapted to my driving style. I'm not Mr. Leadfoot, but I am "I want my power now". I'm just thankful that the days of having to floor (because there was literally a button on the floor for it) it to force a downshift are gone.

Last edited:
The handbook says it might have made a difference in the past, but nowadays it doesn’t affect either fuel or the transmission. The only reason you might want to go into neutral in that situation is if you’re going to be stopped for a long time and want to give your foot a rest.

Apparently.
With hybrids they run on the battery at low speed anyway, Both of ours have this dinky little display that show whether it's running from battery/engine/both or reclaiming energy via the regenerative brakes. Stopping at lights, junctions etc the engine isn't running and after a second it stops feeding energy from the battery. The Lexus has a hold button that you can press and it will engage the electronic brake lightly so I can take my foot off the brake if I want which I use sometimes but mostly just sit there with my foot lightly on the brake. As soon as I lift my foot off it starts moving so whatever electronic doodad is emulating a mechanical automatic transmission is much faster on the uptake than I am.
Mrs Q's Yaris doesn't have a hold button but like its big brother it stops all engine functions at low speeds and she just sits there with her foot on the brake.
When she bought it back in May the salesman was explaining the gearshift to Mrs Q (who had never driven an auto before) and it went along the lines of P is for when you're parking, do it before you put the handbrake on, R is for going backwards, you'll never use N, D if is for forward and B is another one you'll never use (B is engine braking), so far he has not been proven wrong. As I said earlier in the thread one of several reasons I bought a hybrid auto for me was she seemed to have forgotten (after 35 years) how to drive manuals and was stalling the Audi (a 6 speed manual) every time she borrowed it and I rather than the VW engineers was the one getting moaned at.
They're both ghost quiet running on the battery, when she had the Micra, I could her coming home as she turned into the drive, with the Yaris I only know she's home when I hear the key in the lock.

I drove a friend's diesel Mercedes automatic from Oxford to Berlin, then back to Calais.

To quote the great Danny De Vito, I would sooner stick red hot needles in my eyes that repeat the journey.

It wasn't that it was short of power, it had a 3l engine, it was the hideous lag between putting your foot down and power arriving. It made overtaking on the motorway really dreadful. I had a 1600 petrol i30 at the time, floor it and it went quickly. It took me nearly the whole trip to get the 'gap' for overtaking right with the automatic.

Sounds like the Merc's transmission was fucked. A very slight delay is normal and you get used to that pretty quickly but if it's causing the kind of problems you describe, it needs attention.

The only automatic I've ever owned was a Granada that had been my first father-in-law's. Took a bit of getting used to, not least the sense of feeling like I was in an episode of The Sweeney :hmm:

When I was working in the States, it was automatic all the way, and I got used to it pretty quickly. I still prefer manuals, though.

Most new cars have a temporary hand brake, you come to a stop, leave you foot on the brake for 1/2 a second and a green hand brake symbol lights up on the dash, as opposed to a red one when you actually park. This is a full hand brake, so remove your foot from the brake and it will sit there, to disengage it just press the accelerator and it will move off.

The bloody electrics at work have a foot operated parking brake. Some people insist on flooring it every time they park the car. They must have difficulty disengaging it.
danny la rouge do you have rear facing cameras or does it still have mirrors. I think I might have an issue with cameras.

I drove from Galashiels to Edinburgh, about 35 miles, without touching the brake pedal at all, using engine braking only. I was doing 55,000 miles a year as a medical rep at the time and was bored.

The colleague who was following me didn't know the road, and of course didn't have my brake lights as a cue to the sharper corners. I had to assure her that my parents were indeed married. :)

I drove from Galashiels to Edinburgh, about 35 miles, without touching the brake pedal at all, using engine braking only. I was doing 55,000 miles a year as a medical rep at the time and was bored.

The colleague who was following me didn't know the road, and of course didn't have my brake lights as a cue to the sharper corners. I had to assure her that my parents were indeed married. :)

I never use the brakes on the leccy cars at work but the brake lights come on automatically when you take your foot of the gas.

Most new cars have a temporary hand brake, you come to a stop, leave you foot on the brake for 1/2 a second and a green hand brake symbol lights up on the dash, as opposed to a red one when you actually park. This is a full hand brake, so remove your foot from the brake and it will sit there, to disengage it just press the accelerator and it will move off.

Mine's called auto hold. Annoyingly you have to turn it on at the start of each journey

My late (slightly) lamented A6 had that there was an A button next to the P switch that operated the electric parking brake. If you were wearing your seatbelt and drove off it would even release the regular handbrake for you as well.
Most of the time this was a great idea but there was one exception. The nearest Tesco Superstore to us has a slightly sloping car park and since it released the parking brake as soon as the clutch was up I had to be sharpish on pressing the accelerator to catch it and stop it rolling forwards or backwards. I was always careful where I parked there since I imagined that if someone parked too closely in front of or behind me then I might roll into them if I wasn't quick enough. That's not an issue with a manual handbrake where you have complete control of taking it off or with an automatic where you just don't have to worry about such things. Its just with a manual box there was always that slight moment where gravity might be quicker off the mark than I am.
Yet another great things about automatics. Interestingly Mrs Q's Yaris despite being a 20 plate 6 months newer than the Lexus still has a good old fashioned pull up/push down handbrake lever.

My new (to me) car is a true hybrid and therefore automatic. (Honda Jazz, fyi).

I know, I know. We need to move away from reliance on cars. But I’m a blue badge holder and cities are going to have to change a lot before I can give up my car without being housebound. So can we park (lol) that detail for now?

I’ve driven manuals all my life. So it’s taking a bit of getting used to putting my left leg out of the way and not reaching for the gear stick every time I think I’m going to need it. And going down hills is weird.

But this is a thread to journal my transition, and for your experiences if you have any.

Haven't read all of the thread but we got our first hybrid about 6 months ago. Love it!

Previously driven manuals with the occasional trip to hybrid/elec cars through work. This is loads better than any of those, though (newer).

It does remind me of using a dodgem somewhat. I've completely transferred to automatic mode. The main thing is forgetting to put it in R/D/N when setting off initially, for some reason, press foot brake and turn the small wheel to select. The rest of the driving experience is just great. Our car also has a footrest for your left foot as someone else mentioned upthread.

It also has all manner of bells and whistles that you'd expect on a 23 plate, auto this and magic that, sensors for everything, heated etc. Love it. It makes motorway driving feel less of a ballache and also feel much safer. It feels like it's driving itself at times. Love the fact it auto-applies what is the handbrake in traffic and holds it down without you having to press a pedal or put on/off a manual handbrake.

For the physically less able driver, (me), all these things are a definite plus.

MrsA loves it more than I do and she's had the same driving experiences as me largely until we got this.

Love being able to buy less petrol and knowing that braking or coasting is charging the battery :thumbs:
We're buying a tank or more of petrol a month less than we used to.

Last edited:
The bloody electrics at work have a foot operated parking brake. Some people insist on flooring it every time they park the car. They must have difficulty disengaging it.
danny la rouge do you have rear facing cameras or does it still have mirrors. I think I might have an issue with cameras.
It’s got mirrors. (Although the wing mirrors have a blind spot alert on them, which is cool. It tells you if someone’s sitting in your blind spot).

There’s a reversing camera, but I’m guessing that’s not what you mean.

Mine's called auto hold. Annoyingly you have to turn it on at the start of each journey

My old A6 you needed to as well, we now have a Seat Leon (18 plate) and Audi Q8 (23 plate) and both have that on all the time. Frau Bahn doesn't seem to be able to understand it, neither do 95% of other drivers, judging by the number of brake lights you see on for new cars at traffic lights.

My late (slightly) lamented A6 had that there was an A button next to the P switch that operated the electric parking brake. If you were wearing your seatbelt and drove off it would even release the regular handbrake for you as well.
Most of the time this was a great idea but there was one exception. The nearest Tesco Superstore to us has a slightly sloping car park and since it released the parking brake as soon as the clutch was up I had to be sharpish on pressing the accelerator to catch it and stop it rolling forwards or backwards. I was always careful where I parked there since I imagined that if someone parked too closely in front of or behind me then I might roll into them if I wasn't quick enough. That's not an issue with a manual handbrake where you have complete control of taking it off or with an automatic where you just don't have to worry about such things. Its just with a manual box there was always that slight moment where gravity might be quicker off the mark than I am.
Yet another great things about automatics. Interestingly Mrs Q's Yaris despite being a 20 plate 6 months newer than the Lexus still has a good old fashioned pull up/push down handbrake lever.

My merc was an auto, and had the usual (for merc) foot operated handbrake. Pedal to engage, switch to disengage. No problem at all.

But the garage gave me a manual merc once when mine was being serviced. Still with the pedal handdrake. So there were four pedals in total. Anyone driving in Taunton that day in 2009, I can only apologise

My old A6 you needed to as well, we now have a Seat Leon (18 plate) and Audi Q8 (23 plate) and both have that on all the time. Frau Bahn doesn't seem to be able to understand it, neither do 95% of other drivers, judging by the number of brake lights you see on for new cars at traffic lights.
I'm sure auto hold on our car keys the foot brake lights on. Surely if the brake is engaged they should be on?

The Yaris has LDA (Lane Departure Alert) on it where it uses a camera to track the white lines and if it looks like the car is starting to drift across lanes then will flash up an alert and shout at you. The Lexus has LTA (Line Tracing Alert) which initially I rather stupidly thought was a different name for the same thing. However if the Lexus starts to drift across lanes it will steer it back into the right one.
If you change lanes without indicating (which overrides it) then it will resist. The first time this happened I was all "WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING !!!" Now I leave it switched off as a matter of routine and only turn it on if I am doing a long drive on the motorway or dual carriageway. I tested it one quiet Sunday afternoon on the A50 with no nearby traffic and no Mrs Q who would have gone mental had she seen me letting go of the steering wheel and it does indeed do what it says on the tin. Nonetheless as a man who started learning to drive in a car with pump operated window washers I find it all a tad disturbing.

Not just autos that have foibles.

Many years ago when I was quite young, I was given a Vauxhall Cavalier to collect a VIP from the airport.

I drove into a parking bay on the way there and then couldn't work out how to select reverse. It just wouldn't go in!

Eventually I hunted down another Vauxhall driver and the mystery was solved :)

Back
Top Bottom