Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drivers who don't indicate at junctions

I have not-so-cleverly inferred that IAF is an ambulance driver. So I guess it makes sense for ambulances not to indicate when their siren’s going off and blues and twos flashing. However, this should of course not be universally applied.

I have not-so-cleverly inferred that IAF is an ambulance driver. So I guess it makes sense for ambulances not to indicate when their siren’s going off and blues and twos flashing. However, this should of course not be universally applied.
It's not exactly hard though. It's not as if the indicator switch is hidden or there's a time factor involved in winding down the window and flapping your arm like a demented pigeon, it's right Infront of the driver within finger distance if the steering wheel. :D

thanks for confirming you have no clue about the application of the System regardless of the vehicle and driver.

clear signalling of intent by all means is part of driving an emergency vehicle

also 'amateur sleuthing' on the identitiy or otherwise of other posters is Harassment

thanks for confirming you have no clue about the application of the System regardless of the vehicle and driver.

clear signalling of intent by all means is part of driving an emergency vehicle

also 'amateur sleuthing' on the identitiy or otherwise of other posters is Harassment

Boring everyone incessantly about your emergency response qualifications does tend to narrow the field a bit.

The way some people drive, they seem to think they're in an ambulance on their way to six car pile-up, rather than doing their best to cause one.

Or otherwise? Are we not allowed to speculate on who you're not then?

Also your job and your identity are not the same thing, unless your job is 'prime minister' or something we're not going to be able to derive the one from the other.

Also you've been swinging your dick around on this thread by making not-very-vague allusions to being trained to drive emergency vehicles. It's a bit much to then go how dare you imply that I drive emergency vehicles, I could have you shot for that.

InArduisFouette​

Pirouette in adversity
Moto of the Royal Army Ballet Core

Spin round and round when in trouble.

A most apt name I must say.

if you always indicate you are not assessing the need for the signal
I passed the advanced driving test ~30 years ago, and got a RoSPA gold 15 years ago, then did a stint as a motorcycle riding instructor, and in my experience, the only people who advocate not using indicators are smug fucks who think they're a bit special because they got a merit badge for driving.

BMW riders know their machines and look after them.
🤣

Is there any legitimate benefit to doing these Advanced Driving Courses? They seem to turn people into smug complacent bellends who are more of a danger than someone who’s just passed their test
I did most of the training to do my IAM test, then moved to somewhere there wasn't a local group, so never went any further.

I'd absolutely take issue with the "smug complacent bellends" comment - that wasn't remotely the impression I got from those running the training. They were serious - sometimes to the point of earnestness :hmm: - but if anything, the advanced training was about reducing complacency and smugness. I guess there wasn't much about being a bellend, at least not specifically.

And I still use a lot of the stuff I learned 25 years ago in my driving now, and am absolutely certain that it has improved my driving and ability to be courteous and safe on the road as a result.

I was talking about this on a different forum and it made me look up what the various Advanced Driving courses currently recommend.

They've shifted. They now say that if you "can't be certain" no-one is around then you should still signal. Which I would argue is all the time. Never mind that there are many countries you might travel to where not signaling every single time is flat out illegal.

I was talking about this on a different forum and it made me look up what the various Advanced Driving courses currently recommend.

They've shifted. They now say that if you "can't be certain" no-one is around then you should still signal. Which I would argue is all the time. Never mind that there are many countries you might travel to where not signaling every single time is flat out illegal.
Exactly this. Nobody can honestly say they've never made a mistake whilst driving, and I'd rather indicate my intentions to an audience of none than not indicate them to somebody I hadn't seen.

Yeah, I've always thought that was an instruction best obeyed in the breach rather than the observance. Rather than worry about "habitually" indicating, perhaps a better approach would be to encourage "habitually" having a bloody good look around and knowing what's going on in the vicinity.

Yeah, I've always thought that was an instruction best obeyed in the breach rather than the observance. Rather than worry about "habitually" indicating, perhaps a better approach would be to encourage "habitually" having a bloody good look around and knowing what's going on in the vicinity.
which is what Advanced ( and Response) driver training teaches , Roadcraft ( and DTAG and what ever the Extremely fast and Dangerous mob at Trumpton) has changed various points in the past 15 -20 years

regardless of those claiming to have decades out of date Advanced passes claim

which is what Advanced ( and Response) driver training teaches , Roadcraft ( and DTAG and what ever the Extremely fast and Dangerous mob at Trumpton) has changed various points in the past 15 -20 years

regardless of those claiming to have decades out of date Advanced passes claim
Roadcraft... the supposed gold standard police driver/rider handbook? Unless they've changed their stance lately, Roadcraft doesn't even teach active counter steering on motorcycles, and it's probably the most essential skill you should be taught. You can't actually ride a bike without counter steering... so I wouldn't rely too much on what some of these experts consider to be right/wrong/important.

And do like in Germany where if you fail your driving test 3 times your banned from driving and get a free bus pass. :)
That's a urban myth, there used to a law that you couldn't rebook your test for another three months if you failed but that has been abolished. In this country anyway the waiting list for tests is so long you can guarantee it's going to be months before you can get another shot. Besides it's a dumb idea if people were only allowed to fail a certain number of times then you would just end up with loads more unqualified drivers on the roads. We want to reduce that and the way to reduce the number of bad drivers on the roads is more training and testing not less.
I know there is a certain cadre here that just wants to reduce the number of drivers period but that is a hopeless fantasy even by U75's truly awesome standards.
In most parts of this country, a free bus pass would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
I have a free bus pass (since last Nov when I reached the magic age) so far I have used it just once. It's a nice to have no doubt about it and I will hopefully be able to use it again but it is no subsititute for my car.

Roadcraft... the supposed gold standard police driver/rider handbook? Unless they've changed their stance lately, Roadcraft doesn't even teach active counter steering on motorcycles, and it's probably the most essential skill you should be taught. You can't actually ride a bike without counter steering... so I wouldn't rely too much on what some of these experts consider to be right/wrong/important.
IIRC there is a seperate Motorcycle Roadcraft text , as the 'Blue' Roadcraft book concentrates on general Roadcraft and applicability of the System to modern cars ( hence the Reason the DTAG book exists to Support CERA and whatever book Trumpton use for EFAD)

which edition of Motocycle roadcraft are you referring to?

MickiQ there is a school of thought that the 'Twirly pass' has actually damaged public transporty in parts of the the UK as all the subsidy money goes on Twirlypass use meaning socially necessary services to not so outlying villages in the evening and early mornming don;t get support

Last edited:
MickiQ there is a school of thought that the 'Twirly pass' has actually damaged public transporty in parts of the the UK as all the subsidy momney goes on Twirlypass use meaning socially necessary services to not so outlying villages in the evening and early mornming don;t get support
Well I live in an outlying village and the one time I used my pass it was early evening so my £3-4 of subsidy went to the right place at least. Losing my pass wouldn't really be a great loss to me since I can drive and own a car plus I have a wife and 4 kids all of whom can drive and have access to cars. But it's still nice to have though, the one time I used it I was going for a drink and it meant I didn't have to get someone to run me.
I remember being told by a friend that his mother and her mate had decided to see once how far they could go on their pensioner bus passes and they had managed to get from Nottingham to Portsmouth in a day, they had to stop overnight and he had to drive down and collect them in the morning.

I remember being told by a friend that his mother and her mate had decided to see once how far they could go on their pensioner bus passes and they had managed to get from Nottingham to Portsmouth in a day, they had to stop overnight and he had to drive down and collect them in the morning.

Blimey, the Coastliner 700 service takes about four and a half hours to get from Brighton to Portsmouth, I hate to think how long it took them from Nottingham.

Well I live in an outlying village and the one time I used my pass it was early evening so my £3-4 of subsidy went to the right place at least. Losing my pass wouldn't really be a great loss to me since I can drive and own a car plus I have a wife and 4 kids all of whom can drive and have access to cars. But it's still nice to have though, the one time I used it I was going for a drink and it meant I didn't have to get someone to run me.
25 or so years ago several services from Lincoln to various villages ran until midnight , they now bar two routes finish before 8 pm

Back
Top Bottom