Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hundreds of women assaulted in German NYE celebrations

there's nothing wrong with men gathering in mass groups, it's when they organise a rape spree that's the problem.
yeah i agree that the early reports weren't helpful but at least in some cases there was some degree of coordination between a large number of perpetrators?
never mind 1,000, it's when you get that level of coordination among 10,20,30 people that it's rather alarming. you'd have thought that some of them might go 'oh no, this isn't what i signed up for': but that appears not to have happened.

there's nothing wrong with men gathering in mass groups, it's when they organise a rape spree that's the problem.
yeah i agree that the early reports weren't helpful but at least in some cases there was some degree of coordination between a large number of perpetrators?

Maybe I am not explaining myself properly. :oops:

I don't think there is any problem with men gathering in groups.

My original comment re football was a satirical (?) response to Greebozz

Dont think the red army had it as policy they just didnt give a shit.

That's been a hotly-debated question for the last 70 years. There's some evidence that Stalin influenced troop deployments so that some of the most seasoned (and long-serving) troops were in the vanguard of the entry into Germany - blokes who hadn't seen their home districts in the Soviet north-east for 4 years. Stalin would have known that the likely consequence would be rape and looting.

yet they'd rather talk about what some celeb was wearing than issues such as that.

Who would?
I am sure some people would much rather talk about a celeb than more serious women's issues but some are very much the opposite.

I thought you were referring to modern feminists? :confused:

That's been a hotly-debated question for the last 70 years. There's some evidence that Stalin influenced troop deployments so that some of the most seasoned (and long-serving) troops were in the vanguard of the entry into Germany - blokes who hadn't seen their home districts in the Soviet north-east for 4 years. Stalin would have known that the likely consequence would be rape and looting.
what i've read is that the first wave of soviet troops were well-behaved but were aware that the soldiers in subsequent waves would be less disciplined. see e.g. cornelius ryan, 'the last battle'. i wouldn't be surprised if anthony beevor mentions a similar thing in his book 'berlin', which i haven't read.

Who would?
I am sure some people would much rather talk about a celeb than more serious women's issues but some are very much the opposite.

I thought you were referring to modern feminists? :confused:

yeah i was, sorry guardian/new stateman/tumblr types etc.

Of course.
Unfortunately, it's much easier to write (and get published) a whine about manspreading and other poor male social habits, than it is to write something constructive around the position of many women as "2nd class citizens".

yeah , it's really frustrating because we seem to be going backwards on women's rights at a very alarming rate and yet all these self-described feminists can talk about a lot of the time (and not just on platforms such as the guardian) is blokes on the tube stretching their legs out or the fact that an actress wore the wrong thing.

yeah , it's really frustrating because we seem to be going backwards on women's rights at a very alarming rate and yet all these self-described feminists can talk about a lot of the time (and not just on platforms such as the guardian) is blokes on the tube stretching their legs out or the fact that an actress wore the wrong thing.
tbh it's not just women's rights which are being eroded, it's all sorts of rights from organising at work through to being able to have a private life. things we all took for granted just a few years ago are disappearing at a frightening rate.

it's another elephant in the room.
What elephant? I don't see any elephants in here, not until every last culprit involved in the NYE attacks has been arrested and the details of their family history published in full, and not unless every one of them is proven to be a recent arrival in Germany from a war-zone. :facepalm:

What elephant? I don't see any elephants in here, not until every last culprit involved in the NYE attacks has been arrested and the details of their family history published in full, and not unless every one of them is proven to be a recent arrival in Germany from a war-zone. :facepalm:
should have gone to specsavers

tbh it's not just women's rights which are being eroded, it's all sorts of rights from organising at work through to being able to have a private life. things we all took for granted just a few years ago are disappearing at a frightening rate.

I agree with you on this, but at the same time it seems that women have been the last to get basic rights, and are the first to get them taken away.

I agree with you on this, but at the same time it seems that women have been the last to get basic rights, and are the first to get them taken away.
tbh i think it's a bit more complicated than that, given that a) there are rights which gay people don't enjoy which straight men and women do; b) that there are rights which are more greatly denied on the basis of 'race' which affect some groups more than others like black people in the us - e.g. the use of laws to remove the vote from felons - so i wouldn't entirely agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom