Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Huge earthquake in Haiti

Haiti has experienced enough shit too over the years :(

Yeah :( I was a bit wakeful myself last night so spent a bit of time refreshing my memory of the tonton macoute era. The wiki entry is really interesting, there's heaps in there that I didn't know or had forgotten.

Exactly. The US military is probably the only organisation that can quickly give assistance enough to make any real difference.

Given the sheer size of the aircraft carrier on its way, plus the much needed onboard seawater desalinisation plant, comprehensive hospital on board, and a large number of helicopters, there is no other facility to match it.

Trouble is, they need help now, not in 72 hours.

The hospitals are out, there are people still trapped, there are bodies everywhere and so far all the assistance is stuck at the airport if I can believe what I am hearing.

The British emergency workers for example are stuck in the Dominican Republic because they can't get clearance to land their plane in Port-au-Prince.

I thought one of the US things was to restore air traffic control :confused: I might have misremembered that though, I think it was about 4am yesterday when I was reading the lists of who was doing what.

According to the radio they had to close the airport temporarily because there was nowhere to park more planes, but this is now cleared and flights have resumed. That's encouraging I reckon.

I thought one of the US things was to restore air traffic control :confused: I might have misremembered that though, I think it was about 4am yesterday when I was reading the lists of who was doing what.

Air traffic control has been restored, I think the Americans flew a "portable" one in.

Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) In this video, see how MSF used inflatable hospitals after the 2005 earthquake in Pakistan. One of these, equipped with two operating theatres, is expected to arrive to Hait by air in the next 24 hours. Crucial personnel,including surgeons and anesthetists, and supplementary stocks of medical supplies are on the way as well. Full update: http://bit.ly/60ZChq

Does anyone know what time of day the quake struck? I am thinking that kids were still in school so it would have had to happen in daylight hours.

Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) In this video, see how MSF used inflatable hospitals after the 2005 earthquake in Pakistan. One of these, equipped with two operating theatres, is expected to arrive to Hait by air in the next 24 hours. Crucial personnel,including surgeons and anesthetists, and supplementary stocks of medical supplies are on the way as well. Full update: http://bit.ly/60ZChq

That is super cool ! :cool:

Does anyone know what time of day the quake struck? I am thinking that kids were still in school so it would have had to happen in daylight hours.

I haven't read this whole thread so apologies in advance if I'm repeating this:

I heard that school kids in Port-au-Prince don't keep the same school hours as we do; they go to school in the late afternoon to early evening, so yes, they were in school at the time as it happened in the early evening.

BBC reporting a whole primary school (700 kids) flattened, with Haitian bloke saying they were all inside... So the earthquake happened in school hours yes.

It's terrible, really really horrible. I wish I could help.

A city where the living sleep among the dead.

There is a body lying outside L’Hôpital de la Paix in Port-au-Prince – but it is the sight that awaits you inside its grounds that is most alarming.It is as if a massacre has been *perpetrated here. Dirty white sheets cover some of the dead, others lie out in the open, some, their limbs entwined with another’s.

Link

US millitary have taken over air traffic control unfortunatly probably arn't any haitian air traffic controllers left alive:(
Aids arriving by air but I doubt many roads or the port is functioning very well.
An aircraft carrier is exactly what you need in a situation like this shed loads of helicopters completly self sufficent.
the only slightly bright thing is the haitian goverment won't get sniffy about the US continuing to fly fighter jets off there carriers( you have to its such a dodgy thing to do unless you continue to practice virtually eveyday you forget how to do it or realize how fucking dangerously stupid the whole Idea is and quit:D)
unlike the indonesian goverment who threw a fit after the tsunami who might also have had problems with anyone seeing what they were planning:(

Apparently the Haitians are understandably getting increasingly angry at the lack of aid, they don't have any communications so they are not aware the whole world is literally mobilising to help them. Couldn't a US plane drop some leaflets(and maybe supplies) to inform them help is coming. Hope can be a powerful aid to recovery.

Apparently the Haitians are understandably getting increasingly angry at the lack of aid, they don't have any communications so they are not aware the whole world is literally mobilising to help them. Couldn't a US plane drop some leaflets(and maybe supplies) to inform them help is coming. Hope can be a powerful aid to recovery.

air dropping supplies niether effective or safe :(
buy the time they got the leaflets printed the choppers will be on there way

Back
Top Bottom