Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you stay full on a vegan/wfpb diet?

Karl Masks

Birds Angel Delight
I'm trying to do this. It is, for me, very not easy.

I eat a meal, it's about 600cals (if that matters). It fills me up. Yet half an hour later, I'm starving again.

I don't know how to resolve this and it doesn't seem to make sense. How can a meal that fills you up, is full of fibre, then quickly leave you hungry?

I eat a meal, it's about 600cals (if that matters). It fills me up. Yet half an hour later, I'm starving again.

I don't know how to resolve this and it doesn't seem to make sense. How can a meal that fills you up, is full of fibre, then quickly leave you hungry?
How long have you been doing it. The body takes a while to adjust to a change of fuel

How long have you been doing it. The body takes a while to adjust to a change of fuel
I've been upping my carbs for a little while. Today i had a pretty high carb lunch and was excruciatingly hungry a couple of hours later such that I had to crack open a tin of fish (i'm not currently fully vegan).

If this is adjustment i hope it's quick because no one could sustain feeling like that over a few weeks or months

To many refined carbs.?. Try and add in more protein. And/or lots of stuff like broccoli which bulks things out but has not very many calories and lots of fibre. (And is good for you to boot.)
Nobody here but us starches boss. Adding more protein is a good idea. That means having to dive right in and eats lots of beans and legumes. The meal I just mentioned in the above post had a tin of fish, so some higly bioavailable protein right there. Clearly not enough I guess

Nobody here but us starches boss. Adding more protein is a good idea. That means having to dive right in and eats lots of beans and legumes. The meal I just mentioned in the above post had a tin of fish, so some higly bioavailable protein right there. Clearly not enough I guess
Or tofu or soya or whatever. I mean if you're going vegan or whatever, you need to start eating this stuff.

(Why are you going vegan? I mean if you're up for eating tinned fish, why not just continue with that?)

Or tofu or soya or whatever. I mean if you're going vegan or whatever, you need to start eating this stuff.

(Why are you going vegan? I mean if you're up for eating tinned fish, why not just continue with that?)
Concerns about the environment, quality of food (tinned fish isn't great I imagine), and improving health. Eating a greater variety of food. Less about the ethics of eating animals tbh. YMMV

Concerns about the environment, quality of food (tinned fish isn't great I imagine), and improving health. Eating a greater variety of food. Less about the ethics of eating animals tbh. YMMV
I imagine tinned fish probably isn't terrible as these things go. Maybe baby steps would be better/more sustainable though? What about just eating more veggie stuff and getting accustomed to that before jumping right into the vegan thing?

I have made breakfast a token effort, try to skip lunch so dinner is my main meal and presumably is the best part of 2 kcals. A lot of those kcals are tahini.
I eat from a mixing / green
I shouldn't really but I have dessert of jumbo oats and bananas/ frozen fruit to ⁴soy Yog etc.,

Last edited:
Making things spicier might help

“There’s some research that capsaicin acts on the hypothalamus — the part of the brain that controls hunger and fullness,” Lane says. So you may feel full sooner if you add some heat to your meal.

“People who eat a diet rich in spicy foods tend to eat less food overall throughout the day,” she adds.

The carbs will spike blood sugar and will make you hungry not long afterwards.

WFPB? Could we not use obscure acronyms.

Protein, fibre and water are your friend.

Refined carbs are not your friend.

And don’t forget the fats.

Potatoes are highly satiating, aren’t expensive, and go with lots of meals.

I find white rice and shopbought bread/wraps/pitta etc make me feel full quickly but then really empty/hungry an hour or so after eating if they’re the main carb of the meal. If I avoid these I rarely need to snack (unless very bored but that’s not out of hunger 😂). I just have lunch (12-1) and dinner (7/8pm).
Beans, lentils, potatoes, pasta, tofu, soya, all the veg, nuts and seeds (I like to top pasta with fried pumpkin or sunflower seeds), generous with the oil and spices seems to work for me.
(I’m vegan and have been for about 5 years, veggie before that for most of my life)

I have made breakfast a token effort, try to skip lunch do dinner is my main meal and presumably is the best part of 2 kcals. A lot of those kcals are tahini.
I eat from a mixing / green
I shouldn't really but I have dessert of jumbo oats and bananas/ frozen fruit to ⁴soy Yog etc.,

2 kcals is substantially less than recommended, obv. ;)

Beans. I think it’s basically the answer. More protein, beans. Brown rice. Spices as mentioned above.

Maybe a little fruit for dessert to take the edge off the blandness. But I’m not a very good cook so you know. I say fuck that not fruit just have a nice biscuit now and then. Ginger cookies good ones. I’m not a vegan but I hope this helps in someway.

I mean I hate bananas oats and all that shit. So probably don’t listen to me. porridge with bananas and raisins and whatever. Fuck off I’ll die now thank you.

:D on paper it should work. I like salt. I like flapjacks. But porridge with or without salt fuck no.
Tesco do a really good vegan shawarma kebab mix. If you could learn how to make that, if I could learn how to make that and could be arsed. That is an answer.

• Sad
Reactions: Sue
We are not all the same. Some people just dont feel full or satisfied on plant based diets. As you said, YMMV. You can survive on it sure, but I would listen to your body on this one, especially if you're craving protein.

Back
Top Bottom