Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Home smoking/BBQ

It's almost the weekend and it looks to be sunny. Having friends round which is always a great excuse to go totally overboard with food. I've found Aldi are doing some amazing sausages for BBQ, a decent size and really dense.

Screenshot_20240726-092305.png

Loving the weather. Last night had friends round so got the smoker out. Did what's now my classic. Pulled pork, mac cheese, black beans, tahini red cabbage slaw. Oh and those Aldi sausages. Went down super well.

Tonight I'll be grilling, made some tandoori chicken kebabs and got some pre marinated pork steaks. Got the beans and slaw from last night, but doing a tabbouleh as well.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on Weber Go Anywhere today. I said I'd wait till the end of the season to see if there were any deals, but it would be nice to use it on our next few trips and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the very cheap one I got ages ago. It's down to £87 on Amazon. I was going to order some heat beads to go with it, but the delivery isn't guaranteed for us going away on Thursday, so I'll get the Weber ones. I've really wanted to like the bags which you light with charcoal in, but they don't have enough heat. Which means I've got to go back to taking a starter away with me, which is a bit of a pain, given how full my car already is. I could do with a mini starter which takes just enough fuel for a travel BBQ....

I have a GA they are great, I use mine more than my Weber kettle in the garden and it comes on dozens of camping trips and BBQs in the park at the end of our road.

You can get a weber mini-chimney, or alternatively there is a George Foreman. Some even advocate cutting the grill in half with an angle grinder and then you can store your mini-chimney in the GA.

I have a GA they are great, I use mine more than my Weber kettle in the garden and it comes on dozens of camping trips and BBQs in the park at the end of our road.

You can get a weber mini-chimney, or alternatively there is a George Foreman. Some even advocate cutting the grill in half with an angle grinder and then you can store your mini-chimney in the GA.

It arrived yesterday. Seeing as it was a nice evening, it seemed a shame not to test it, so did a few kebabs. I can also see myself using it the garden for quick weeknight cooks or when I've been using the electric smoker and I want a few bits BBQ or even finishing off things like ribs. Really chuffed with how compact it is, I think it's got at least the cooking area of my current travel one, but it's much smaller and packs away nicely. Not quite sure what the metal bits on the side for. I assembled it and found them still in the box, so took the legs of again to add them, but they don't seem to add much.

Weber briquettes are of course an upgrade from the Aldi ones, but I've been wondering if actually I should try charcoal again for the kind of cooking I do on a travel bbq.

These metal bits?
1722432250362.png

They are so you can control the size of the intakes to increase/decrease burn rate and temps.

I've been very tempted by these but the cost would be almost as much as the whole GA...

1722432347998.png

That's pretty cool. But yeah, to much for what it is.

My mini weber chimney arrived just in time. So small it looks like it will barely do the the go anywhere. Think they missed a trick by not giving it a folding handle...

PXL_20240731_203226630.MP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom