Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My new home & project - tips and advice welcomed!

Looking at the floor plan I’d go straight to an extension to give a full kitchen dinner. That would then give a full two bedroom two reception room home. I’m also a fan of engineered wood flooring. I’d do the whole bungalow in that to bring the whole thing together.

Looking at the floor plan I’d go straight to an extension to give a full kitchen dinner. That would then give a full two bedroom two reception room home. I’m also a fan of engineered wood flooring. I’d do the whole bungalow in that to bring the whole thing together.

With the kitchen dinner in the extension, it would be a THREE bedroom and two reception room home, as the current kitchen would become a single bedroom or study/office. I am told people moving into these types of bungalows in this village, like having a spare bedroom for guests (like for one of their kids & partner), and a study/office, that could also be used as an extra bedroom for grandkids to stay in.

I would love wood flooring if it was to be my forever home, but I intend to retire in about 7 years and sell it on, and not everyone likes wood floors, so I would rather leave flooring choices to the next owners.

There will be no building materials going through the place, the existing bungalow only needs basic decorating to tidy it up, if the extension goes ahead, building materials will go down the side path/drive to the back. :thumbs:
But the crappy wardrobes and old kitchen will need to go through part of the hall to get them outside. :hmm:

But the crappy wardrobes and old kitchen will need to go through part of the hall to get them outside. :hmm:

The crappy wardrobe bits will be broken down into much smaller pieces in that room before being carried across the hall and out via the kitchen door to the path at the side of the bungalow, if the kitchen is ripped out, that will also go out via that door, and not via the hall.

I like the look of the proposed floorplan with extension, but a couple of things to consider (which I am sure you have already taken into account) - where do services enter the building? It can be more costly/complicated to move a room that requires plumbing and gas from one side of the building to the other.
Do other people nearby have the same bungalow with a similar extension? That can give a heads up as to whether you are likely to run into any planning permission issues, if others have done similar it should be simple but it can prove more difficult if you're doing something different than what others in the same type of dwelling nearby have done.
Purely personal here, but I ruddy hate open plan with a vengeance - more difficult to keep an area warm, difficult to keep pets out of the kitchen when you're preparing food, difficult to keep cooking smells out of other areas, so personally I'd want a wall and door between living room and kitchen/dining area. I know open plan is still all the rage though but not everyone loves it just cos Phil and Kirsty say they should ;)

Oh also (I have worked as a professional painter/decorator) it doesn't matter how broken up stuff will be when you shift it through the hall, always do the decorating last. Although you can do another coat of emulsion as soon as the first is dry to the touch, it actually takes around 3-4 weeks for water based emulsion to cure/settle on the surface, longer for oil based gloss/eggshell etc. and exposure to dust in that time will result in a finish that isn't as good. And it only takes someone walking through with a bit of wood to glance off the wall and that patch will need to be filled, sanded and repainted. So always make that the last thing you do.

Last edited:
I like the look of the proposed floorplan with extension, but a couple of things to consider (which I am sure you have already taken into account) - where do services enter the building? It can be more costly/complicated to move a room that requires plumbing and gas from one side of the building to the other.
Do other people nearby have the same bungalow with a similar extension? That can give a heads up as to whether you are likely to run into any planning permission issues, if others have done similar it should be simple but it can prove more difficult if you're doing something different than what others in the same type of dwelling nearby have done.
Purely personal here, but I ruddy hate open plan with a vengeance - more difficult to keep an area warm, difficult to keep pets out of the kitchen when you're preparing food, difficult to keep cooking smells out of other areas, so personally I'd want a wall and door between living room and kitchen/dining area. I know open plan is still all the rage though but not everyone loves it just cos Phil and Kirsty say they should ;)

Oh also (I have worked as a professional painter/decorator) it doesn't matter how broken up stuff will be when you shift it through the hall, always do the decorating last. Although you can do another coat of emulsion as soon as the first is dry to the touch, it actually takes around 3-4 weeks for water based emulsion to cure/settle on the surface, longer for oil based gloss/eggshell etc. and exposure to dust in that time will result in a finish that isn't as good. And it only takes someone walking through with a bit of wood to glance off the wall and that patch will need to be filled, sanded and repainted. So always make that the last thing you do.

My architect mate will be doing the drawings for the extension, if it goes ahead, and will plan in the plumbing and electrical needs, no need for gas, that's only used for the boiler, but radiators will need to be put in. Planning permission shouldn't be a problem as the footprint is well within what's allowed under permitted development rights, but yes, there're similiar bungalows with extensions like this, one was on the market recently and I've saved the photos as a guide to what I would like to do.

I mentioned earlier the living room will be part of the 'open plan style', rather than 'open plan area', as I am fairly sure I'll leave the sliding patio doors in place, so the kitchen-diner can be closed off from the living room, for the very reasons you mention.

Because all the rooms are smaller than where I am ATM, and the need initially to keep one room clear at a time, I did some measuring yesterday, and last night made a plan for the bedroom, which will also be my office, it all fits, but it's very tight, and now the fitted wardrobes will be going before I even move in, to free up a bit more space. The hall is the first job after I move in.

Do you have room for an ensuite in the master bedroom? With 3 bedrooms, at least another toilet would be desirable.

I did think about a loft conversation for the master bedroom, with an ensuite, but there's not enough height, plus as these are 'retirement' bungalows, I was advised against it anyway, as it would take away the benefit of being a bungalow.

There's no room for another loo, but it's highly unlikely a family would buy it, to give you an idea of the area, I turned 60 this year, and I'll be by far the youngest in the close! :D

This will sell to a retired couple, so a single loo will not be a major issue, they would just have to juggle a little on the odd occasions of having guests staying.

Thanks, but whilst this will be a home for the next 7 or so years, it's also a project to sell on, so I want to make it as neutral as possible, leaving the next owners a blank canvas to do as they wish.

Also, that room will only become a temp living room for me, the plan is to put a window in the black wall, so I don't want to paper it.

I am happy living with white walls, framing a few nice things hanging on them.

It doesn't need to be neutral, people will do what they want anyway.

This will sell to a retired couple, so a single loo will not be a major issue

Not even retired, but try living as a couple with one with a weak bladder and the other with IBS, our one loo situation is stressful.
It's an absolute must for us when we move that we have 2 loos! I won't move anywhere with just one, or where an additional one cannot be added.

Why three bedrooms? That's a normal family size house.

It would be marketed as 3-bed, but the smallest room will most likely be used as a office/study, which is a popular space nowadays, especially with a fairly small living room.

It would be marketed as 3-bed, but the smallest room will most likely be used as a office/study, which is a popular space nowadays, especially with a fairly small living room.

Ah ok, I read your other posts. Personally when I'm old, I want a house to myself.

If you want to sell to a retired couple, would they need an office/study space?

I also agree about needing more than one toilet for privacy/medical reasons. It's more unusual now to have one toilet for a 3 bed place - especially if it's been renovated. It would also put off people staying as guests.

My dad and his partner live in a two bed bungalow. It has two bathrooms.

tbh it doesn't have to be a retired couple/single that buys the place, unless there are some restrictions or covenants involved specific to it being a retirement community.
Bungalows are more common in some places than others, and I've known families with young children live in them.
Would like one myself (with 2 loos tho :D )

It’s a study / single bedroom from what cupid_stunt says - flexible space. Plenty of older folks retiring may want something they can use as a study, which these days also means a separate leisure space for watching TV etc

Extra loo seems to be a wanted feature ...

As for the small room being a study, that's a good idea ...
Many of the putatively retired people that I know have become [more] active in the voluntary sector - doing committee work, or end up studying "something" / write / paint, some even take up railway modelling or need somewhere for their collection(s). Emergency accommodation of visitors, if there's room for a "sofabed" ...

Extra loo seems to be a wanted feature ...

As for the small room being a study, that's a good idea ...
Many of the putatively retired people that I know have become [more] active in the voluntary sector - doing committee work, or end up studying "something" / write / paint, some even take up railway modelling or need somewhere for their collection(s). Emergency accommodation of visitors, if there's room for a "sofabed" ...
Yes my dad does all that committee / u3a stuff, occasionally I kip in the study if my brothers family are staying too as they fill up the bedrooms.

Anyway this is a bit off topic.

I'ld go with doing up the hall first, actually.
It gives you a boost when you arrive.

And giving it a spruce up and another coat shouldn't take too long if it does suffer wear and tear during the project as a whole.

My parent's bungalow in Chippenham had a massive corridor hall as all the other rooms opened off it, although my lanky bro and I papered it in a day as a surprise present for my mum after she had had another hospital stay.. Dad bought the wall paper and paint - then kept out of our way ...

Khazi. Actually reading up on it it’s derived from what you wrote. So never mind.

i've seen it spelled both - and other - ways. my chambers dictionary lists 'kazi' as the main spelling (which i'm not sure i've ever seen written) and lists six possible spellings.

i understand it's a word that's (depending on what source) either derived from swahili or arabic or something that uses a different alphabet, and it entered the english language phonetially, so there isn't really a 'correct' way of spelling it in english.

/pedant alert - According to my old Collins dictionary.
Carzey or carsey is cockney slang, derived from 19th century Italian, from Casa, ie house but in the context used as a brothel !
/pedant

tbh, I was expecting Kharzi to be derived from Hindi !

Before & after -

1 - Bed 2.jpg3 - Bed 2a.jpg

So many bloody screws, it took about five hours to take down the fitted wardrobes, break them up, and put all the crap in the garden ready for a tip trip, that'll have to wait for next month, as I've hit my maximum of 5 visits for this month.

There's a bit of mould in the far corner that I need to treat, there's no water getting in, it was caused by condensation, not a great idea having fitted wardrobes up against outside walls, the lack of air flow will cause this sort of thing.

Need to get an off cut of some cream carpet, that I can gaffer tape to what's there, on the underside, no point spending out to replace it all, I'll leave that for whoever buys it next.

There's also small pieces cut out and missing from the picture rail at each end, I'll have to see if I can find a short matching piece, patch it in, bit of filler, sandpaper to finish, and paint.

...............it's needs to be neutral for selling on

having bought & sold a few houses in my time (and a big fan of the TV shows that do the same), please do remember that its the 'blank' pallet for potential purchasers you are trying to attract. Do not do it up to your taste (no matter how good it is). People love to see a house and go 'thats nice but I would have the sofa there and paint that wall a nice shade of X' ... being able to change things easily is a plus , having to call in a builder to move a wall is a negative. Love the idea of open plan and have as much light as possible (big doors, windows, Velux, etc). Now is the time to put them in. Make sure the house is a building site only once.

There is a lot to be said to have 1 nice feature though. An eye catcher like a good stove, or better than average shower, or boiling water tap in sink (Quooker?), etc. Other than that, I think Magnolia is your friend!

Best of luck .... keep putting up pics!

having bought & sold a few houses in my time (and a big fan of the TV shows that do the same), please do remember that its the 'blank' pallet for potential purchasers you are trying to attract. Do not do it up to your taste (no matter how good it is). People love to see a house and go 'thats nice but I would have the sofa there and paint that wall a nice shade of X' ... being able to change things easily is a plus , having to call in a builder to move a wall is a negative. Love the idea of open plan and have as much light as possible (big doors, windows, Velux, etc). Now is the time to put them in. Make sure the house is a building site only once.

There is a lot to be said to have 1 nice feature though. An eye catcher like a good stove, or better than average shower, or boiling water tap in sink (Quooker?), etc. Other than that, I think Magnolia is your friend!

Best of luck .... keep putting up pics!

Basically, that's the plan.

Except I hate magnolia, I much prefer white walls.

Back
Top Bottom