Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Home smoking/BBQ

So I searched and couldn't find an appropriate thread (I assumed there would be, maybe I'm just rubbish at searching)

Currently laying new floors and doing lots of painting so being at home all day at the weekend is ideal for an 8hr+ smoke.

This weekend I did brisket, Texan dry rub and smoked over mesquite, hickory and oak for 8hrs. Served with homemade S. Carolina BBQ sauce.

Also smoked some corn on the cob for 90mins then tented it in foil with shit loads of butter for 30.

Meat in dry rub:
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Paprika
  • 2 tblsp coarse Salt (sea or kosher)
  • 2 tblsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tblsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 4 tsp Cumin
  • 2 tsp dry mustard
  • 2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 2 tsp Thyme Powder
  • 2 tsp Sage
  • 2 tsp Coriander Powder
vTD6eXR.jpg

uJRPvav.jpg
Fg3kdSi.jpg
5mymrWD.jpg
SvErSFf.jpg
512SXgQ.jpg

South Carolina BBQ Sauce:
1 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo, minced (No idea what adobo is so just added jarred chipotle paste)
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
ground black pepper to taste

I added more sugar when tasting....

That looks great. I did a brisket, but my bbq had rusted to bits over the winter so I just did some jerk chicken and Thai prawns in it and put the brisket in the oven.
I've ordered a new bbq off the Internet so will be trying some of that.
4073e0aae5f7ba025ef3307f8ab80379.jpg

d0339ef4332f2c75dd89dfabba8cddb3.jpg

c96d9995c268a50ca170ffd7ff85b343.jpg

I'm doing lamb this weekend on my BBQ, I'm in an unimaginative loser so was just going to slow roast it. Any good ideas? I'll post the results here.

If anyone's interested in buying a BBQ/smoker and lives in the vicinity of Worcester, I'm probably going to be selling mine due to us moving house.

You can get wireless leave-in temp probes pretty cheaply these days. I use one with the probe through a potato to monitor internal BBQ temps whilst around the house, with a second wired one for the meat (as they are single channel)

Yes I have a maverick (?) I think. It’s good for exactly that but for spot checking a chickens fat bits on a rotisserie the thermapen rocks.

There is a British Barbecue Society Facebook page as well but too many twats making vegetarian “jokes”. Much prefer countrywoodsmoke.

Bunnings/Homebase do a really nice little rotisserie BTW. they’ll be going cheap at the end of the summer.

So I searched and couldn't find an appropriate thread (I assumed there would be, maybe I'm just rubbish at searching)

Currently laying new floors and doing lots of painting so being at home all day at the weekend is ideal for an 8hr+ smoke.

This weekend I did brisket, Texan dry rub and smoked over mesquite, hickory and oak for 8hrs. Served with homemade S. Carolina BBQ sauce.

Also smoked some corn on the cob for 90mins then tented it in foil with shit loads of butter for 30.

Meat in dry rub:
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Paprika
  • 2 tblsp coarse Salt (sea or kosher)
  • 2 tblsp Black Pepper
  • 1 tblsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 4 tsp Cumin
  • 2 tsp dry mustard
  • 2 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 2 tsp Thyme Powder
  • 2 tsp Sage
  • 2 tsp Coriander Powder
vTD6eXR.jpg

uJRPvav.jpg
Fg3kdSi.jpg
5mymrWD.jpg
SvErSFf.jpg
512SXgQ.jpg

South Carolina BBQ Sauce:
1 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo, minced (No idea what adobo is so just added jarred chipotle paste)
2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
ground black pepper to taste

I added more sugar when tasting....

Just had a proper look at the photo's, very nice looking food. :thumbs:

Something I'm paying a bit off attention to at the moment. I'd quite like a BBQ and was thinking would be nice to get something I can smoke in as well. Looking at some Facebook groups, but find the kit talk a bit incomprehensible tbh.

Having never done anything other maybe grill some sausages and burgers, I really don't want to spend much though. Is this possible to do on a budget?

Something I'm paying a bit off attention to at the moment. I'd quite like a BBQ and was thinking would be nice to get something I can smoke in as well. Looking at some Facebook groups, but find the kit talk a bit incomprehensible tbh.

Having never done anything other maybe grill some sausages and burgers, I really don't want to spend much though. Is this possible to do on a budget?

Yes you just need something with a lid, and big enough that you can put the charcoal sufficiently far from the meat that it doesn’t grill ( google “indirect heat” for pictures )

Alex

Yes you just need something with a lid, and big enough that you can put the charcoal sufficiently far from the meat that it doesn’t grill ( google “indirect heat” for pictures )

Alex

Weber kettles are good and their customer service is also apparently top notch although I've not used it yet.

The beauty of a kettle is you can grill and smoke on it. It will also act as a suitable device for cold smoking should you so desire.

Most people seem to use the snake method a la our OP and it seems reliable.

Avoid the cheap offsets , apparently they are shite at holding temps and leak smoke like crazy. Although as with anything like this as soon as you say something is suspect you get people telling you how they've never had any problems.

This is an offset.

41DS%2Bf6VleL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

When I get a garden I want to get one of these.

Bristol Drum Smokers

upload_2018-4-24_18-45-49.jpeg

Last edited:
Was in Aldi today and saw the offset. I have been warned! How does this look for a basic bbq I can do the odd bit of smoking in? They are £50.

Gardenline-Oil-Drum-Charcoal-Bbq-A.jpg

Back
Top Bottom