Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Home smoking/BBQ

So it's a gorgeous sunny night and yet I'm working away reading about BBQ when I should be cooking it. Its a bloody huge subject isn't it. Not sure I'm brave enough to do big bits of expensive meat. Yet.

What kinda of thermometers do people and use. All this wireless shit looks pretty cool. But rather expensive. Do you use the ones you leave it the meat or monitor the temp of the grill.

I'm also rather keen to make my own BBQ sauce and one that doesn't use ketchup! The French Guy Cooking one looks a good start, but didn't realise there were so many styles till I looked at that Amazing Ribs....

To answer your question I have an ovenproof thermometer which has a probe on the end of a wire the wire goes in to the meat and the thermometer hangs on the end.

I did the snake method on Saturday for a half shoulder of pork, I put it on at 0700 and it was ready about 9 hours later.....

Things I learned

Don’t try to move the bbq out of the rain, without moving the water bath first.

I really need a proper temperature sensor in the meat and in the bbq, but in the bbq is most important.

The snake method would probably have burned for about 12 hours, and longer if I’d lengthened the snake later in the burn.

When making up the rub , I need to adjust the quanities ( especially of salt !) by volume of meat ( rookie mistake ! )

So it was a big success, but could have been easier and it was a bit too salty.

Alex

My Weber has a thermometer in the lid, just a simple analogue one. If you maintain a good heat in there, say between 200 and 225 (which you can do just by adjusting the vents), the fancy in-grill wifi meat thermometers are somewhat superfluous; cooking time commensurate with oven cooking, and I have an analogue meat thermometer just to check temp before serving.

My Weber has a thermometer in the lid, just a simple analogue one. If you maintain a good heat in there, say between 200 and 225 (which you can do just by adjusting the vents), the fancy in-grill wifi meat thermometers are somewhat superfluous; cooking time commensurate with oven cooking, and I have an analogue meat thermometer just to check temp before serving.

So does mine, but the temperature difference between it and my digital thermometer was 40 degrees centigrade.

Alex

The problem with reading some BBQ sites is that it's easy to convince yourself you need top notch gear...Maybe mointering two bits of meat as well as two spots the grill is a little overkill :D

I use my wireless to control the actual Weber temp rather than the meat (seen stuck through a potato in the OP photos) as this means I can do stuff around the house and nip out to adjust the vents to heat/cool if it strays from about 105DegC.

I have a wired one I leave in the meat to know when it's done. The advantage of this method aris that I don't have to open the Kettle too much and disrupt the smoke/BBQ temp.

I use my wireless to control the actual Weber temp rather than the meat (seen stuck through a potato in the OP photos) as this means I can do stuff around the house and nip out to adjust the vents to heat/cool if it strays from about 105DegC.

I have a wired one I leave in the meat to know when it's done. The advantage of this method aris that I don't have to open the Kettle too much and disrupt the smoke/BBQ temp.

Seems that buying a 4 probe Inkbird should cover most bases then! Not this month. I keep buying myself to many toys. Think I'll get a cheap probe for now, there are plenty of less ambitious BBQs I want to try when I finally get some time at home.

Daft questions. Heat control. If it runs to hot, you just close the vents right? If it's not hot enough can you just dump fresh charcoal on when stuff is cooking? My last BBQ I basically just filled the Aldi starter and assumed that was the right amount.

That appears to be a serious issue amount of wood in your OP. I got a bag of those Weber chips from the local garden center, but they were quite expensive. Was tempted to head to the woods with a saw, but apparently using green wood isn't the done thing..

Daft questions. Heat control. If it runs to hot, you just close the vents right? If it's not hot enough can you just dump fresh charcoal on when stuff is cooking? My last BBQ I basically just filled the Aldi starter and assumed that was the right amount.

That appears to be a serious issue amount of wood in your OP. I got a bag of those Weber chips from the local garden center, but they were quite expensive. Was tempted to head to the woods with a saw, but apparently using green wood isn't the done thing..

Go to the woods cut something you like, stick it in the shed for 12 months then you are ok.

Heat it up - more fuel or open the vents, if the vents are all open it’s more fuel.

You basically need to figure out how much fuel (width of your snake) you need to hit the ideal temp with your vents at half open, so you can then deal with external temperature fluctuations like say rain by opening the vents full.

Alex

Go to the woods cut something you like, stick it in the shed for 12 months then you are ok.

Heat it up - more fuel or open the vents, if the vents are all open it’s more fuel.

You basically need to figure out how much fuel (width of your snake) you need to hit the ideal temp with your vents at half open, so you can then deal with external temperature fluctuations like say rain by opening the vents full.

Alex

The amount of shit in our new shed and scattered round the garden makes that a total non starter sadly. Plus I've told me other half I'm not thrilled about the idea of a compost heap, so probably best I don't...Anyone seen any cheaper prices online? :D

I'll have to have a play with doing snakes and suchlike for big bits of meat. Fancy having a go at doing spatchcock chicken, but also want to try an Indian themed one. Chappali kebabs and Chicken Tikka. :)

Well I saw a deal on an Inkbird. :oops:

The 6 probe one. I'm not actually sure what I need 6 probes for yet, but I guess it's good to have room to expand and at £42 it was cheaper then any price I've seen the 4 probe model. My GF is going to think I'm nuts. I better prepare some dam good chicken to justify it.

Well I saw a deal on an Inkbird. :oops:

The 6 probe one. I'm not actually sure what I need 6 probes for yet, but I guess it's good to have room to expand and at £42 it was cheaper then any price I've seen the 4 probe model. My GF is going to think I'm nuts. I better prepare some dam good chicken to justify it.

Got a link? Seen these going and really want couple but couldn't justify the cost (MEATER Official Website – Wireless Smart Meat Thermometer)

Cheers, just looked and it's on amazon for £42 as well (but obvs better to get it from the non-hegemonic retailler)

The problem with reading some BBQ sites is that it's easy to convince yourself you need top notch gear...Maybe mointering two bits of meat as well as two spots the grill is a little overkill :D

Yes, but this is definitely not correct.

Eg People smoked for decades before digital thermometers.

All you really need is some ideal of the temp in the bbq and ideally in the meat - but touch and time are a good proxy for that as long as you know the temp in the bbq.

Alex

Who doesn't like shiny toys though? I find there's something quite amusing that fire is humanities oldest way of cooking meat. Now with added Bluetooth.

Anyway its sunny. Who is cooking outside today? I seem to have been away from home for ever, but getting back this afternoon, so time to fire it up and drink cold beer. I'll probably have a red slip for the thermometer and not much time for marinades, but going to stop by the butcher and see what takes my fancy.

My other half doesn't eat beef, so chicken and pork (and some more asparagus), but may have to pick something beef based for myself as well.

My mate cooked some bavette/flank last summer on my grill. Marinated it in garlic/oil for a few hours, bang it on the very hot grill for a couple of minutes max. Leave to rest for 10-15 mins. Scoff.

Can be easy to fuck up if you over cook it but it is a cheap cut.

I wanted to have a bbq today but was over ruled. :rolleyes:

Not done steak yet. Been reading about reversing searing and all sorts. Budget definitely won't stretch to some of those huge bits of meat I've seen pictured. Maybe a bit of Aldi Rib Eye at some point. Would you cook that indirect still and then finish it off over the heat or just hot and fast all the way?

I am planning on visiting more butchers though so will keep my open for stuff like flank. And big bits of pork belly obviously. Did you try BBQing any of your own bacon?

Not done steak yet. Been reading about reversing searing and all sorts. Budget definitely won't stretch to some of those huge bits of meat I've seen pictured. Maybe a bit of Aldi Rib Eye at some point. Would you cook that indirect still and then finish it off over the heat or just hot and fast all the way?

I am planning on visiting more butchers though so will keep my open for stuff like flank. And big bits of pork belly obviously. Did you try BBQing any of your own bacon?

No, but I will, BBQd bacon is great.

I like my steaks dirty now. Be sure to do it on charcoal, not briquettes.

I've never reverse seared or any of that, I think that works best for big thick cuts and I stick to normal size steaks so can keep it simple. I just bang it on hot and fast.

I'm still cooking on the cheap briquettes that I got given when I bought it. :oops:

Have checked they aren't instant light or any of that nastiness, but do want to try some decent lumpwood.

I use both, briquettes are great if you want a bit of time to cook, I use Weber Heatbeads on my rotisserie. Lumpwood burns real quick in comparison. Although when I got my thermometer I did learn that even a small pile of lumpwood still gives of plenty of heat when you think it has run out.

I use the Weber briquettes for long smokes, lumpwoodstuff for actual grilling.

I've bought two gert big rib-eye steaks (1-1.5" thick) for tomorrow, gonna try the smoke and reverse sear method.

My Inkbird came today so will be a good test. Whilst people have been smoking food for centuries, I think they'd have probably fucked up a few getting the experience of what works. The tech allows you a good result from the off...

Our local butchers produce a “zine” (I know, I know....) but this is quite cool.

Attachments

• CB726C83-B7DF-4F8E-A8BF-E8D0D93C2895.jpeg
    CB726C83-B7DF-4F8E-A8BF-E8D0D93C2895.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 13
Picture saved. :)

Ate far to much at lunch at the market and after many hours in the car, really started to flag in the heat. Butcher looked crap or rather much of his stock was gone. By the time we stopped at Morrisons near our house, both our brains had stopped working (I really need to get my air con fixed). All my good ideas went out the window and ended up with a scitzo selection. Single pre marinaded chop for me. She chose a bit of mackerel. I got a huge burger. I've added to it from the freezer with a couple of my own sausages and some Aldi Chinese pork belly. Got some local new spuds which won't be BBQed and some Asparagus that will. :D

Really looking forwards to getting my hands on that inkbird. I'd love to actually know what's happening under that lid!

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster. Pondering buying myself a Weber...

I would say though, if anyone's interested in different cuts of meat, what they're like and how they cook, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Meat Book is phenomenal. The man clearly wanted to write some sort of research thesis when writing the book, and the fact that after it he lost loads of weight and wrote the Veg Book is telling. But it really is awesome in explaining why each cut is as it is due to the job it does for the animal, how best to treat it, etc. It's not got a lot on BBQing specifically, but as a thorough primer for meat cookery, it's indispensible.

Back
Top Bottom