Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Griffin and BNP strategy

There will be figures for different areas and accross the whole country showing data for racist violence - most of it collected and analysed by the police. Not always an accurate source.

There can be no "concrete evidence" showing the connection you describe. Nevertheless, I'm pretty certain there'll be some anecdotal evidence around.

So pretty much nowt then?

LLETSA I'm sure you'd accept that the BNP are a racist party and it is one of the significant reasons why someone would vote for the BNP. For instance I doubt you'd get many anti-racists or black and Asian people voting BNP (I know you always get the odd nut job, but I'm saying in general).

As such a rise in the vote for the BNP would probably go hand in hand with rising racism generally. And if there is a rise in racism the chances are that there will also be a rise in racist attacks.

LLETSA I'm sure you'd accept that the BNP are a racist party and it is one of the significant reasons why someone would vote for the BNP. For instance I doubt you'd get many anti-racists or black and Asian people voting BNP (I know you always get the odd nut job, but I'm saying in general).

As such a rise in the vote for the BNP would probably go hand in hand with rising racism generally. And if there is a rise in racism the chances are that there will also be a rise in racist attacks.

The point is not that a rise in racism leads to a rise in racist attacks-just that routine claims that increased BNP acivity automatically leads to a rise in racist violence are difficult to swallow without concrete proof. After all, one of the curious features of today's society is that a far-right, racially motivated party gets an unprecedentedly high vote at a time when, across society, overt racism is lower than at any time previously and a generation of those of immigrant stock has grown up containing people who are quite prepared to dish out their own, often racially-based violence.

After all, one of the curious features of today's society is that a far-right, racially motivated party gets an unprecedentedly high vote at a time when, across society, overt racism is lower than at any time previously

Don't agree that it is curious, the bnp plays on the idea that the liberal consensus is a metropolitan myth, which in turn massages the self-esteem of racists, who think they're not alone...

So pretty much nowt then?
There's plenty of anecdotal evidence around - too much in fact, so that I know you and Joe will have come across it. You are right, there has been no serious study of the connections, but they are there. I am saying there certainly is associational evidence of such a link.

As for a direct causal link I would have to do such a study myself (or read somebody elses) to say there is one.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence around - too much in fact, so that I know you and Joe will have come across it. You are right, there has been no serious study of the connections...

A report published in 1993 ('Community Action Legal Remedies') published by Anti-Racist Alliance, stated that when the BNP moved to the Bexley area in 1989, there were four racist murders and violent attacks on black people increased by 140 per cent. I acknowledge the report was published some time ago.

There was also another report published at an earlier time (late 1970's) by Stepney Trades Council called 'Blood on Our Streets' which documented a high number of violent racist attacks. The activities of the NF were at their height at the time.

A report published in 1993 ('Community Action Legal Remedies') published by Anti-Racist Alliance, stated that when the BNP moved to the Bexley area in 1989, there were four racist murders and violent attacks on black people increased by 140 per cent. I acknowledge the report was published some time ago.

There was also another report published at an earlier time (late 1970's) by Stepney Trades Council called 'Blood on Our Streets' which documented a high number of violent racist attacks. The activities of the NF were at their height at the time.

As back up for your arguement i suggest you think of something better than evidence from a totally discredited bunch of shitbags like ARA.

As back up for your arguement i suggest you think of something better than evidence from a totally discredited bunch of shitbags like ARA.

Perhaps so, but you can't argue with the evidence though. 4 racist murders in an area they've moved into cannot be wished away.

Admitedly on its own it is only associational evidence - which means these facts have merely happened in the same area. However, i think there comes a point (and this is where a serious report is needed) when the weight of such evidence, including other examples, becomes too common to be merely coincidence. It would need some statistical number crunching but it certainly could be written, I could write it if somebody paid us:eek::hmm::D:cool:

Such an example ignores the fact that the BNP physical force strategy has long been abandoned and the tactics and strategies are entirely different today. Back then it was possible then to show a causal link between where key BNP activists actually lived and a cluster of attacks in the immediate surrounding area. But that was then, this is now. To claim that nothing has changed: 'the brutes is suits' approach, is frankly absurd.

What, exactly, are people trying to claim? That BNP members participate in significant numbers of racist attacks in areas where they are making headway? (Which would be counter-productive, for obvious reasons.) Or that where they receive a high vote, sections of the local population spontaneously band together to attack non-whites?

Such an example ignores the fact that the BNP physical force strategy has long been abandoned and the tactics and strategies are entirely different today. Back then it was possible then to show a causal link between where key BNP activists actually lived and a cluster of attacks in the immediate surrounding area. But that was then, this is now. To claim that nothing has changed: 'the brutes is suits' approach, is frankly absurd.

So you are looking for a report, written since 2000, on this subject. Again, I'm offering to write it:hmm::D

Joe peleeze!

MC5 said:
I acknowledge the report was published some time ago.

Which is acknowledging a change is it not?

The apparent success of the "BNP brand", as their hacks like to refer to it, is the change from the thuggish NF image and reality then, compared to reality in the here and now. That's not hard to fathom Jim.

However, I get the impression that "brand BNP" is becoming increasingly tainted. So much so, that a layer of the 'super activists' (such members they rely on for momentum) are lining up to taint it still further. :D

What, exactly, are people trying to claim? That BNP members participate in significant numbers of racist attacks in areas where they are making headway? (Which would be counter-productive, for obvious reasons.) Or that where they receive a high vote, sections of the local population spontaneously band together to attack non-whites?

The latter happened very recently on a housing estate near where I work, a large group attacked a black family who had recently moved there. 17 men were arrested and later sentenced for racist violence towards the family (including children and older people) who were attending a barbecue. Baseball bats and other weapons were being carried by the men.

There was a regional BNP meeting held in a pub not far from said estate only recently. Some people inside the meeting were threatened and a glass was smashed to heighten the threat.

The latter happened very recently on a housing estate near where I work, a large group attacked a black family who had recently moved there. 17 men were arrested and later sentenced for racist violence towards the family (including children and older people) who were attending a barbecue. Baseball bats and other weapons were being carried by the men.

There was a regional BNP meeting held in a pub not far from said estate only recently. Some people inside the meeting were threatened and a glass was smashed to heighten the threat.

Which event took place first? And where was this?

Which event took place first? And where was this?

Here.

and

Here.

The pub mentioned is not in the city centre as stated, it is in fact near the Gipton estate which leads through to the Seacroft estate where the attack on the Angolan family took place. The point that the BNP uses it for regular meetings is correct. The NF also used the same watering hole for many years for their meetings.

Stretton ward, East Staffordshire Borough Council result (percentages in brackets):

Con 661 (36.89)
Lab 366 (20.42)
BNP 327 (18.25)
PA 233 (13.00)
LibD 205 (11.44)

Total 1792 (28% turnout).

Stretton ward, East Staffordshire Borough Council result (percentages in brackets):

Con 661 (36.89)
Lab 366 (20.42)
BNP 327 (18.25)
PA 233 (13.00)
LibD 205 (11.44)

Total 1792 (28% turnout).

the PA lot are the remnants of Veritas- Kilroy Silks crowd

Any reports of BNP out and about for the GLA Elections in London this weekend? Fascist sites reportt they were out in Havering, Hillingdon and Redbridge

Forthcoming by election candidates in Rugby, Chichester, Harrow and Middlesbrough. First indications appearring that however their splits have effected them this may not translate into reduced numbers of candidates, other than in Yorkshire and NW England

The Searchlight campaign Attica promotes here you can take or leave (i prefer leave as i dont commaburate with the stare) but it is aimed, as far as i can see, as solely mobilising the BME vote- and not winning arguements in the wards where the BNP are strong

Take Newham as one good exmaple. Why are they mobilising in Stratford while the bulk of the BNP Support is in 3 Canning Town wards.

Also,BNP have been out leafletting for the elections in London since last November- and may be well ahead of what antifascists are putting out. Has anyone put out any Antifascist leaflets yet?

Back
Top Bottom