Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2005

mmmSkyscraper said:
Will, in theory it shouldn't be a problem as the babdwidth and telephone capacity has been upped. If we get there early enough, we should all be fine.

Maybe.

Yeah, just means everyone will be ready for the off this year and it'll sell out in 20 minutes :(

edit to add: This is the thing I find most depressing about Glastonbury. The hassle of getting tickets.

And I hate having to drive there from Scotland, and the hassle to get in and get freaked out at the thought of being pulled over on the way down/pulled out of the queue and having the sniffer dogs set on me and getting turned away and told to fuck off :(

Once I am in I am happy though :) mostly...

Ah, great pics - all that space, all those men in pants! :)

mmmSkyscraper said:
I don't trust mobiles.
Some networks disconnect you if the phone you're calling is ringing out for ages, too, so you lose your place in the queue.

Tort said:
Here's something new & wonderful for all you Glasto historians.

150 colour pics from Glasto 1971

Brilliant! :cool:
Nice :) now give us a link to the cocaine-snorting-media-whore server for this year and I'll love you :) (Doubt it'll be 'freya' again this year :()

edit: oh and if you wonder why I keep banging on about this it's cause I am STILL FUCKING FURIOUS AT THE BASTARDS one year on. FUCKERS! Fucking absolute cunts, if I ever meet whoever runs Way Ahead I'll flatten the fucker.

edit: sorry, I guess as my mate who wouldn't give me a money break to help me afford my 2005 ticket after more or less begging me to get his 2004 ticket (cunt) would say, 'my negativity is dragging you down'

i now have four tickets plus on site parking to glasto :D

come and say hello to us in the healing fields - we'll be promoting palestinian olive oil :)

mellowmoose said:

come and say hello to us in the healing fields - we'll be promoting palestinian olive oil :)
Bastard.

(as previously discussed)

suddenly found myself all excited after being all meh about things. roll on sunday...

bluestreak said:
suddenly found myself all excited after being all meh about things. roll on sunday...
Good luck. You'll need it, given last year's fiasco. :(

edit: Just been stirring shit about it on the Glasto boards, so no doubt I'll soon be banned from there. :(

mellowmoose said:

I'll do better than come and say hello - I'll come and buy some olive oil off you!

Good luck to all those that need to buy tickets btw.

DeusIrae said:
Good luck. You'll need it, given last year's fiasco. :(

edit: Just been stirring shit about it on the Glasto boards, so no doubt I'll soon be banned from there. :(

cheers, i think.

i have faith.

aqua said:
well we'll certainly be trying, cant say I'll be upset if we don't get them though

i'm of that opinion to aqua. whilst i really enjoyed glastonbury last year and meeting my lovely g/f there (yes we're still together) i wouldnt be that upset if we didnt get to go this year. saying that though it does have some romantic notion of the year anniversary in the same place that we met. either way we'll be both be sat there on sunday morning trying to get tickets.

i reckon if people don't get tickets they shouldn't be too dispondent. There are going to be a hell of a lot of tickets that end up back in the sytem beacuse of multiple bookings and stuff.

Idave

DeusIrae said:
Had a horrendous thought last night, I'll probably have to spend up to 11 hours trying to get a ticket on the net while a bunch of wanker media hacks get theirs with no trouble from a separate server (which if they do the same this year, is likely to be almost inaccessible to ordinary punter. You fucking cunts, Way Ahead), then spewing up with stress again at the end of it.

While you're so wrapped up in your stereotypical class war bollocks, i'd like to point out that that server 'freya' was just one of a few servers that were randomly chosen by the load balancer which went tits-up. It wasn't a 'special' server for the types of 'wanker media hacks' you so detest. But these techie details are lost on you aren't they?

'spew up with stress' - effin' diddums. Hows about getting some glastonbury spirit, chilling out, and ceasing the nobbery?

oh, and re. the stirring up of the glasto boards - how about growing up? And doesn't this board have a policy on inter-board stupidity?
cheers

doofusclam said:
oh, and re. the stirring up of the glasto boards - how about growing up? And doesn't this board have a policy on inter-board stupidity?
I guess that's exactly why you're here for one of your rare visits :p

doofusclam said:
While you're so wrapped up in your stereotypical class war bollocks, i'd like to point out that that server 'freya' was just one of a few servers that were randomly chosen by the load balancer which went tits-up. It wasn't a 'special' server for the types of 'wanker media hacks' you so detest. But these techie details are lost on you aren't they?
really? How interesting. The story I had heard was that it was a separate server for EMAP employees (of which Aloud is I believe a subsidiary) to get their tickets. This of course makes me all paranoid, doesn't it, because who's telling the truth?

As for the technical aspects, if it was supposed to be in a load balanced arrangement... then you can't even get that right? Even DNS round-robin balancing would have been better than nothing... but when this fancy load-balancing fell over the admins did... Nothing. Even I could have done a better job.

Talking about the techie aspects, I'm a system administrator with 7 years' experience on NT/2000/XP/2003 systems, 4 years experience on VMS, 3 years' experience on Unix (mostly HP-UX), and other odds and ends. Do you happen to work for aloud at all? Well then I have a question. What exactly broke that 'load balancing' and if freya was supposed to be load-balanced with the one server that did end up taking all the strain then why was not even the SIMPLEST STEP taken towards fixing the problem by also assigning freya the DNS name www.way-ahead.com? Or secure.way-ahead.com. Whatever it was. You see now why I don't believe you as doing that would have been an absolute piece of piss, and no one did it.

doofusclam said:
'spew up with stress' - effin' diddums. Hows about getting some glastonbury spirit, chilling out, and ceasing the nobbery?

cheers

Because I'm incensed at Aloud, and I can't believe GF are still going to be using this shower of shite to sell this years' tickets. Because in 2003 when there were multiple ticket agencies, I just went to Ticketmaster (iirc) and got mine no hassle. Because it is getting increasingly harder and harder to get the bloody things, and this stupid bloody war against touts is the source of the whole problem.

Go on then, out of all the Glastonbury tickets sold in 2003, can someone tell me how many of those were touted on? Are we talking a significant proportion or something meagre like 10%? 5%? These ridiculous anti-touting measures have resulted in the situation we now find ourselves in where it's a mad scramble for tickets cause if you don't get em when they are on sale ... cause they are personalised... you're fucked.

Anyway the policy is about stirring up board wars and nowhere on there did I mention anything that would link the two boards. Apart from my comment here, and my username.

beesonthewhatnow said:
I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed by it all at the moment to be honest.

If we get tickets, great, if not, no problem - we'll go to Barcelona for a week
Yeah :( Time to plan something else to do with my time, as, well, fuck it, I can hardly be bothered with this hassle really. I'm in two minds as to whether to take the money and just go somewhere else.

I had no problem in 2003 getting tickets. 2004 was a nightmare and 2005 is shaping up to be just as bad considering the same shower of shite is selling the tickets as last year :(.

This time last year the Glasto 2004 thread was brimming with shiny happy people all looking forward to going. This year everyone (except the smug bastards who already have tickets, thanks for rubbing it in guys and gals :rolleyes: ) is bummed out about the useless ticket ordering system and the sheer impossibility of getting one :(. Well done to Glastonbury Festivals Ltd (with a BIG help from aloud.com - fuckers) for helping to spread that loving festival vibe :(

good luck to everyone for this sunday!
we decided to opt out even before this booking farce was announced and now i'm glad that we did.

viva los festivales europeos!
we're off to frolic in the sun...

:)

doofusclam said:
While you're so wrapped up in your stereotypical class war bollocks, etc..

I'm very suspicious of you too as you are a phantom user who doesn't show up in the user list.

Very odd... very odd indeed.

:confused:

DeusIrae said:
This time last year the Glasto 2004 thread was brimming with shiny happy people all looking forward to going.

nail, head, hit, the. i have to agree as i stated above. i'm not that bothered by glastonbury as i was last year. it was only when that link was posted up the next monring after tickets went on sale that i decided to go last year. up until then i hadnt been planning on going. glad that i did and i would be happy if we got tickets again this year but ce la vie if we dont.

William of Walworth said:
bees might be tho' ... as might we! ;)

well as of right now we can't afford tickets :( and bees is the one thats not upset :confused: (something along the lines of 'we could go to barcelona instead :D')

hey ho, unless we can acquire some cash between now and Sunday we're not even trying for tickets :(

doesn't seem to be much of a buzz this year.. not sure if I can be bothered... :rolleyes:

but will get up at 9am on sunday just to see how things are. :)

DeusIrae said:
Yeah :( Time to plan something else to do with my time, as, well, fuck it, I can hardly be bothered with this hassle really. I'm in two minds as to whether to take the money and just go somewhere else.

I had no problem in 2003 getting tickets. 2004 was a nightmare and 2005 is shaping up to be just as bad considering the same shower of shite is selling the tickets as last year .

This time last year the Glasto 2004 thread was brimming with shiny happy people all looking forward to going. This year everyone (except the smug bastards who already have tickets, thanks for rubbing it in guys and gals :rolleyes: ) is bummed out about the useless ticket ordering system and the sheer impossibility of getting one :(. Well done to Glastonbury Festivals Ltd (with a BIG help from aloud.com - fuckers) for helping to spread that loving festival vibe

I'm not going to paint myself into the impossible corner of defending the indefensible here, and Deus Irae is quite right that Aloud.crap are indeed crap.

But I do think that that level of extreme misery and relentless negativity is unnecessary, and to me, irritating. I'm determined to go, will go to great lengths of patience and frustration (no doubt) on Sunday in trying to get tickets, and thousands of other people will be pretty anxious to succeed as well.

The trouble is (to state the obvious) that demand is so skyhigh, it isn't the subcultural dirty secret for a few thousand hippies, ravers, crusties, alternatives and NME kids that it was a decade ago. Yes, Aloud.crap should be sacked, and all sorts of efficiency improvements applied to the ticket selling system, but when it comes down to it, whatever the arrangements, many many more people want to go than will be able to. That's partly the fault of the ever growing media hype, scarcely discouraged by Michael Eavis with his series of scarcely veiled hints over the year about headliners, and with R1 in particular in the forefront of hyping everything up.

But those of us who over many Glastos have loved the festival are at fault big style too -- word of mouth, the internet, EVERYONE talks about Glasto and have been doing in increasing numbers for years, and not just those who are bothered about headlining acts. I couldn't give a shit about line up, I go for the vibe which is still sufficiently there for me to still love the great monster despite all the Bud Shite, creeping corporatism, Stuart Security goons, etc. Because there's still enough there for me, Glasto is still very very different from the Carling Crap Label Weakender or the Richard Branson's Corporate Beard 'Festival'. I know that once I get there, I and thousands of others will have as much fun and frolics as ever, because I'm inclined to look on the Bright Side of Life and not be a miserable fucker :p about the (undisputed) negatives.

And we're well overdue a hot sunny one this year! :D

There'll be a fallow year in 2006, which will be the really appropriate time to think about whether I want to continue going, and for how long ... my long post a couple of pages ago in this threrad about how has Glastonbury changed should make it clear that I'm very far from Glastonbury Festivals Ltd's spin doctor, still less Mean Fiddler's or Ansheuser Busch's, and yes I can foresee the time when I don't go any more, or only go as crew/worker/volunteer etc. -- options that after this year's ticket hell is over, I'd far rather be exploring for 2007 than for 2005, because I have no Plan B (yet) this time if tickets go tits up for us on Sunday ...

GOOD LUCK FOR SUNDAY EVERYBODY

And stay positive!!!

But we'll get in, somehow. We always do and guess what we never hate it!

aqua said:
well as of right now we can't afford tickets :( and bees is the one thats not upset :confused: (something along the lines of 'we could go to barcelona instead :D')

hey ho, unless we can acquire some cash between now and Sunday we're not even trying for tickets :(

Please read my post above and try, by hook or by crook. There's too many negative bad vibes around about Glasto at the moment, it's a real shame that you and bees, who have LOVED your time there and still would are contributing to them even if unintentionally :(

William of Walworth said:
Please read my post above and try, by hook or by crook. There's too many negative bad vibes around about Glasto at the moment, it's a real shame that you and bees, who have LOVED your time there and still would are contributing to them even if unintentionally :(
nothing to do with being negative, we just don't have the funds to buy tickets

don't get me wrong, the idea of not going isn't attractive :D this is purely financial :(

Back
Top Bottom