Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

GE '19: Constituency Predictions & Reports

West Worcestershire - most of the locals here would vote for a blob of lard if it had a blue rosette, though there are some yellow tories about as well. So despite the fact that the Labour candidate is a genuinely decent human being, (as far as I can tell at least!) and the revelations that the Tory incumbent, Harriett Baldwin has claimed well over a million quid on expenses in an 8 year period (and also even tried to claim back a £50 donation to a local charity ball on expenses,) there's an air of inevitability about the whole thing here.

Hastings & Rye - it'll be tight again but Lab to win from the Tories. Way more visible and energetic Labour campaign than last time. Even though Amber Rudd was awful she was famous and no-one knows the new Tory, that will make a difference too. Even the middle class surburban/rural bits of the constituency like Fairlight have more Labour posters than Tory

Last edited:
Birmingham Perry Barr - I don't think Khalid Mahmood (Lab) is going anywhere. I expect the local 'Yeshua Party' candidate will lose their deposit!

Derby South - I don't live there but someone I went to school with is standing as the Tory candidate against Margaret Beckett. We went to school in Leicester so his local credentials are a little suspect. Might be an interesting one - Beckett is Remain, her constituents voted Leave. She had a big majority in the last election.

Aberdeen South a key Tory / SNP marginal. Incumbent Tory wank Ross Thomson was a voter-repellent embarrassment even by Tory standards, mired in drunkenness and groping allegations, and would have lost by thousands. His constituency chairman refused to sign his nomination papers so he’s out, replaced by councillor Douglas Lumsden.

It’s a toss-a-coin fight between him and SNP candidate Stephen Flynn. Flynn has run a busy door-knocking grassroots campaign.

Turnout will be key. I wonder if the sleekit shamefaced M&S cardigan-wearing Volvo drivers will turnout for Lumsden in the same way that they turned out for the then unknown Thomson, on the back of that balloon Ruth Davidson’s “no to indyref 2” campaign in 2017.

Only a few hundred votes in this. My heart hopes for a Flynn victory but my guts say Lumsden will hold on with a sub 1,000 majority. Hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Angus taken with a small majority by Tory farmer’s daughter Kirstene Hair in 2017 from the SNP. She’s in the back pocket of the big agriculture lobby and has been a consummately useless MP. Her fledgling political profile never really recovered from her admission that she didn't vote in the EU referendum of 2016, as the question was too hard.

She’s up against Dave Doogan, a well known local councillor. Angus is largely farming country and four big-ish towns; Arbroath, Montrose, Brechin and Forfar. If Doogan wins in the towns and gets the vote out as he should he’ll win by 2,500.

Hastings & Rye - it'll be tight again but Lab to win from the Tories. Way more visible and energetic Labour campaign than last time. Even though Amber Rudd was awful she was famous and no-one knows the new Tory, that will make a difference too. Even the middle class surburban/rural bits of the constituency like Fairlight have more Labour posters than Tory
There are some controversial video clips doing the rounds, she's defending posting an article on social media that advocated paying disabled people less than the minimum wage, and she defended it on the grounds that it's about their happiness to work and people with learning disabilities don't understand money.

Sally Ann Hart says disabled people should be paid less as 'they don't understand money' | Metro News

She's also got previous saying/sharing controversial stuff.
A Tory Candidate Posted That "Multiculturalism" Had Taken Its "Toll" On Europe In The Wake Of Terror Attacks

Linlithgow and East Falkirk. Went SNP in 2015 (previously Labour and before boundary changes part of the constituency held long term by Tam Dalyell).

Majority of less than 3000, down from 13000 in 2015. Staying with family in the constituency at the moment and they're pretty sure it'll stay SNP. (My BIL's been out campaigning for them.)

ETA The Tory candidate has just delivered a leaflet (they're in second place here). Only 'policy' stuff on it is the choice between 'Nicola Sturgeon's candidate and Indyref 2' or the Tory who will ' fight to stop Indyref 2' happening. Assume that's the general Tory message.

Last edited:
Only 'policy' stuff on it is the choice between 'Nicola Sturgeon's candidate and Indyref 2' or the Tory who will ' fight to stop Indyref 2' happening. Assume that's the general Tory message.

Same with leaflet I got today in Ochil and South Perthshire.

I think that this will stay a Tory seat. I'm still a bit bewildered that Clackmannanshire has a Tory MP, but eh, the South Perthshire bit.

It doesn't help that the SNP have parachuted in John Nicolson as the candidate - another blow-in after Tasmina "Alex's girlfriend" Ahmed-Sheikh - and it really didn't help that he got the name of the constituency wrong at the first hustings in Alloa Town Hall. Local group Facebook shares can help a campaign, and sometimes they can't.

Wyre Forest - interesting constituancy, its been Labour, Tory and Independent within the last 20 years, its not a marginal but it is a swing. currently held (with a huge majority) by a waste of skin tory who was sacked from a junior minister post by Theresa May for being a sex pest. 60%(+?) leave.

queues outside two polling stations i drove past - in sleepy, and very properous, Bewdley no less - and Labour posters outnumbering tory ones by 10-1. i am now going to make an arse of myself by predicting a Labour victory in Wyre Forest.

(i'm going to further stick my neck out and say that i think Johnson will lose his seat in Uxbridge, and that the Tories will win only around 280 seats). you can take the piss out of my fortune telling skills tomorrow.

Mid-Worcestershire - my constituancy - will stay tory. 20k majority, never been anything else with an annonymous, remainy MP. Johnson isn't popular with my tory, centerist, comfortable neighbours and friends, they will vote tory despite Johnson, not because of him. idle chat says lots of people not bothering or spoiling ballot papers. real disenchantment with the direction of the Tories and the unpleasantness of Johnson et al. don't get all hopeful though if you're looking for a Labour result - Corbyn has found a deep well of utter, visceral hatred.

Sheffield central - easy hold for Paul Blomfield.
Sheffield Hallam - various outlets have been peddling the Lib Dem strategic vote, despite it being all but impossible for con to win there. Along with some Tory remainers going yellow to keep labour out. Prediction: Lib Dem gain.

Easy ones, but local constituencies.

Wyre Forest - interesting constituancy, its been Labour, Tory and Independent within the last 20 years, its not a marginal but it is a swing. currently held (with a huge majority) by a waste of skin tory who was sacked from a junior minister post by Theresa May for being a sex pest. 60%(+?) leave.

queues outside two polling stations i drove past - in sleepy, and very properous, Bewdley no less - and Labour posters outnumbering tory ones by 10-1. i am now going to make an arse of myself by predicting a Labour victory in Wyre Forest.

(i'm going to further stick my neck out and say that i think Johnson will lose his seat in Uxbridge, and that the Tories will win only around 280 seats). you can take the piss out of my fortune telling skills tomorrow.
I've always said you were far-sighted and perspicacious to a practically uncanny extent.

Wouldn;t be surprised if it turned back Labour - certainly various technocrats and LA people I deal with through work who cover the area are thinking this will be the case

Wolves SE - Labour safe seat. Should remain so
Wolves SW - Marginal, currently Labour - will be close but has been a strong ground campaign and LP people seem quietly confident about holding
Wolves NE - Been Labour for 64 years out of 69, normally a safe seat and LP people now bricking it that they're going to lose it to the Tories.

I live in Birmingham Hall Green. Labour Majority is 34,000 plus (78% of the vote) and they’ve ditched the execrable Roger Godsiff. So I’m sticking my neck out and predicting Labour will hang on.

You read it here first....
Could be an interesting one. I'm also in this constituency. Godsiff - probably the laziest MP ever - actually has a bit of a following after his support of those deeply unpleasant bigots outside Anderton Park School. I even had a leaflet from him shoved through my letterbox from him - he's branding himself the 'independent labour' candidate. He'll probably split the vote a bit but the Lib Dems and Tories are so far behind I don't think the new guy they parachuted in will have any problems.

Cambridge: Labour win, fairly comfortable majority. Before the election I would have predicted a very marginal hard to call Lab/ Lib Dem as we are a very remain constituency but Labour have been knocking on doors non stop, MP probably has a good personal vote as he's well thought of, hardly any Lib Dem posters to be seen. I'm honestly not sure what's happened.

Birmingham Northfield

A couple of constituencies across from Hall Green. It is the most marginal of the Birmingham seats and, apparently, the local Labour crew are a bit worried. Some of my buddies from Hall Green have been drafted in to help keep the seat Labour. Of all the Brum seats, this is the most likely to change hands.

Reading East

A shock Labour gain in 2017 with a 10% swing. Holding this will be a good sign for Labour. The signs are cautiously good for Labour. They've been active on the ground with leaflets, stalls and posters. The only visible Party in most of seat.

The Greens have been keeping their heads down and it's likely they'll continue to lend Labour a couple of thousand votes.

The Lib Dems are invisible but will likely pick up a chunk of the Tory vote who want to stop Corbyn but want to morally have their hands clean regarding Brexit so they can blame others should it come to pass.

The Tories - who knows? There's plenty of people sat on half a million quid+ semis in 'burbs who will vote with their pockets.

Prediction? Labour hold.

Sticking to this.

Reading West - I think the Labour Party may have been able to divert some resources from Reading East into here. They had Hugh Grant door knocking the other day, but despite this I'm going for a Labour gain here. The YouGov MRP has it very slightly leaning Tory so they'd only have to be fractionally out for it to change hands. If it does it's a good indication that Labour is having a good night.

Wokingham - For the tactical voters it's the LibDems trying to unseat John Redwood here. So Conservative hold.

Surrey East - previously a very safe Tory seat. I can't see that changing. In the local council elections they lost overall control in Tandridge which makes up the bulk of the constituency so I suspect a reduced but still significant majority.

Could be an interesting one. I'm also in this constituency. Godsiff - probably the laziest MP ever - actually has a bit of a following after his support of those deeply unpleasant bigots outside Anderton Park School. I even had a leaflet from him shoved through my letterbox from him - he's branding himself the 'independent labour' candidate. He'll probably split the vote a bit but the Lib Dems and Tories are so far behind I don't think the new guy they parachuted in will have any problems.

I’ve been told by a local LP member that Godsiff has been shamelessly targeting Mosques in
Balsall Heath and Sparkhill. It will be very interesting to see how many votes he pulls in. Everyone will be one from a reactionary. Given the labour majority I expect nothing less than a 30k plus majority however.

Good to have a fellow Hall Green resident on Urban. I’m in Kings Heath.

Birmingham Northfield

A couple of constituencies across from Hall Green. It is the most marginal of the Birmingham seats and, apparently, the local Labour crew are a bit worried. Some of my buddies from Hall Green have been drafted in to help keep the seat Labour. Of all the Brum seats, this is the most likely to change hands.

What about Erdington?

No need for that, as soon as someone nudges you your siesta will be over, and your sweet dreams evaporate,

I noticed Stroud wasn't on that YouGov list of projected Tory gains despite being one of the top marginals but not got any good sources from home to say why that might be/if Labour hold is indeed likely.

I’ve been told by a local LP member that Godsiff has been shamelessly targeting Mosques in
Balsall Heath and Sparkhill. It will be very interesting to see how many votes he pulls in. Everyone will be one from a reactionary. Given the labour majority I expect nothing less than a 30k plus majority however.

You Hall Greenites get everywhere, I was at a party in London with one of you two nights ago.

I noticed Stroud wasn't on that YouGov list of projected Tory gains despite being one of the top marginals but not got any good sources from home to say why that might be/if Labour hold is indeed likely.

Labour were putting a call out for folks in Bristol to go and help out up at Stroud last week as the local resources aren’t that strong and Bristol has enough door knockers. Not sure how relevant this is.

Yes, I heard that too. You'd be surprised (I was ) to discover Sparkhill and Springfield have much larger numbers of voters than Kings Heath and Moseley (where I live). Nevertheless, I think you're right that the new chap, Ali, will hold comfortably.

Back
Top Bottom