Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hezbollah wasn't tied down fighting for Assad in Syria and to some extent Lebanon, would Israel be acting with quite as much impunity as it is now?

The whole thing is so depressing, there is no good end to it, there are no good options and there won't be until America dramatically changes its policy on Israel-Palestine or a larger percentage of the Israeli population change their worldview although without the former happening it's difficult to see the latter coming any time soon.

I think it's pretty bloody obvious from my comments in this thread that I'm aware that the Israeli people are 'qualitatively different from the Israeli state.' Every country's people are mostly in disagreement with the actions of their state. It is quite brave to do that little stunt I agree. Again, I still would find it difficult, for a long time at least if not necessarily for as long as I live, to just be 'Oh it's ok I know it's not YOU who's destroyed my home, murdered my children, left me destitute and have repeated the same actions over a forty year period, it's just your government.' It's difficult to think like that, at least at first, and personally I don't think anyone has the right to expect it either.

Fair. I would expect it though. I'm demanding like that.

Panorama of #Shujaiyeh. Surreal destruction, parts of the neighborhood are completely gone. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel

BtjH1rTCUAAuezC.jpg:large

If the IDF exterminated every man, woman and child in Gaza it still would be a defeat for Israel. That they fail to grasp this obvious truth shows what idiots are running things.

The Palestinians cannot be defeated, not even in death.
I think the death of every Palestinian man, woman and child would be a bit of a defeat, to be fair.

I hope these ceasefires hold and form the basis of something more long lasting. And I hope this current fighting puts a bit of impetus into lasting peace efforts.

The IDF released the findings of its investigation into the incident on Sunday morning. According to the inquiry, Palestinian militants opened fire from the area of the school, shooting morters and antitank missiles at Israeli forces. In response, the investigation reveals, the IDF decided to return fire with mortars.

According to the army, whose inquiry included investigations of the ground forces and video footage of the incident, “one of the mortars fell in the school’s courtyard whilst it was empty of people.”

“In light of the investigation’s findings, we have rejected claims of casualties in the school grounds as they were presented by various elements immediately after the incident took place,” the IDF Spokesman’s Unit announced Sunday morning. “The IDF regrets any harm to citizens who are not involved in the fighting but continually emphasizes that this occurs as a sad result of Hamas’ choice to use civilians as human shields.”

CHRISTOPHER GUNNESS: Well, we made the—we gave the GPS coordinates, the precise GPS coordinates of a U.N.-designated school—it had a blue U.N. flag on the top of it—to the Israeli army over a period of hours. We appealed to them, we begged them, we pleaded with them to allow a humanitarian pause, a window of opportunity, so that women, children, men, civilians, the sick, the elderly, babies, the dying could be let out of the conflict zone. We appealed desperately. We explained the situation at the school. But no answer came back that was positive. In the end, we could not do that civilian evacuation, and the consequences of that were absolutely tragic. The carnage, the pitiless carnage that you saw on your screens yesterday, was the result.

AMY GOODMAN: And the Israeli military saying that perhaps this was a Hamas rocket that hit the UNRWA shelter?

CHRISTOPHER GUNNESS: Well, Qassam rockets are notoriously inaccurate. So the idea that within a few minutes a group of Qassam rockets could hit roughly the same area seems beyond miraculous. But if that’s what the Israeli army and military spokesman and others, like Mr. Regev, were saying, that’s fine. But, you know, it’s perhaps useful to ask them why it is that weapons, when they fly into Israel, it’s said that they’re completely inaccurate; apparently they can all land in roughly the same space within a matter of minutes yesterday in Beit Hanoun. I think that needs some kind of unpacking.
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/7/25/no_safe_place_after_deadly_attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom