Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always think, you can't go too far wrong with Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli–Palestinian_conflict

Last time I read up on the conflict on wikipedia (which was probably about 5 years ago admittedly) it seemed incredibly pro-Israeli. Not that the info they have is necessarily wrong, but that they also miss out a lot of info as well, mainly to do with the fucking over of Palestine. Maybe it's changed now, dunno? Just didn't find it all that 'neutral'.

How do you mean? Morally certainly, but as I understand it Israeli public opinion is broadly behind the campaign.
Internationally I mean with responses like that which rival Pyongyang in terms of public relations awareness to the expulsion of an ambassador, bringing up a 7-1 defeat in the context of 'you know what's disproportionate eh eh'? Etc

Internationally I mean with responses like that which rival Pyongyang in terms of public relations awareness to the expulsion of an ambassador, bringing up a 7-1 defeat in the context of 'you know what's disproportionate eh eh'? Etc
As long as they have the USA on side I don't think they are that concerned about the rest of us. And Americans both officially and the citizens I come across on the net just keep trotting out that "Israel has the right to self defence" argument which seems to justify anything.

What about your opinion, are you behind the campaign?
I think my position is clear, I am on the side of the humans.

There will never be peace until all the parties talk to each other in the pursuit of peace and fairness. That means Israel must sit down with Hamas and Fatah, you don't make peace by talking to your friends, you can only make peace by talking to your enemies!

You might as well say they must walk around the world with a flower in their buttocks. They have no intention of doing either.
I agree, Israel's Iron Dome has neutralised Hamas rockets and their US sponsor is still on side, Israel does not feel any need to negotiate, how Hamas gets the blockade lifted I don't know, perhaps this way is the only option for them, it is a bad situation for Palestinians.

I agree, Israel's Iron Dome has neutralised Hamas rockets and their US sponsor is still on side, Israel does not feel any need to negotiate, how Hamas gets the blockade lifted I don't know, perhaps this way is the only option for them, it is a bad situation for Palestinians.
Let's be very clear about this - the current series of attacks are because Israel might have been forced to negotiate.

Let's be very clear about this - the current series of attacks are because Israel might have been forced to negotiate.
I don't think Netanhayu has any intention of negotiating with Hamas or lifting the blockade on Gaza.

But I think the publically stated aims of the attack, of targeting tunnels and rockets and Hamas, is not honest, I think Netanyahu thought making Gazans pay a human price might make them turn against Hamas. I think he is mistaken though.

Check out @delexical's Tweet:

Shocking...this is what the official Israeli embassy in Ireland tweeted last night.

This is breivikite shit.

But to be honest, all of the propaganda that has come out from them this time around has been crude and brutish. It's like they're following a 1950s anti-communist propaganda guide book written by captain America.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/26/gaza-israel-palestinian-protest

Palestinian teacher Widad Naoum said she, too, drew comfort from the protests. "People see me as the enemy. Every day, they point the finger at me. They judge me because I am Arab, no matter what I think or do."

The demonstrators soon encountered opposition from a handful of youths, who shouted "traitors" and "go back to Gaza". On previous marches, women protesters have had the words "bitch" and "whore" screamed in their faces. The parents do their best to shield the children from the abuse.

The picture has been repeated in many cities in Israel in recent weeks. Protests against the bloodshed in Gaza have attracted much smaller numbers than in previous conflicts, in a reflection of the diminishing weight of the "peace camp" in Israeli society.

Last weekend protesters in the northern city of Haifa were assaulted by rightwing activists, who beat up the Arab deputy mayor and his son. Police have been forced to protect a series of peace marches in Tel Aviv, including one last week that was pelted with eggs and plastic bottles. A public reading of ex-soldiers' testimonies about their role in previous conflicts in Gaza, organised by Breaking the Silence, a group of veteran combatants dedicated to exposing military injustices, was barracked by up to 100 extremists.
We used to think that the US was all in favour of attacking Iraq, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom