Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gaza under attack yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really 'genocide' is it? The body count is about the same as an Indian bus crash.

Theoretically, according to the UN definition only two people from a targeted group, and subjected to certain treatment (and according to specific criteria) would be enough for there to be genocide, if intent to kill and mistreat more of that group was proved? It doesn't have to be massive numbers killed or mistreated. Millions could also die and it wouldn't be a genocide according to that definition. It's a bit of a headache.

Thinking more generally, I have difficulty not just with the concept itself, but its use, what with all the encouraged, downplayed or ignored occurrences of barbarism post-WWII. Unless you're bad guys of the month, of course (and still for good reason outside the realm of realpolitik).

Look at this map from the BBC. It implies the West Bank is completely under the control of the Palestinians :mad:.

_76204959_20140711_gaza_border_crossings.gif

It's not really 'genocide' is it? The body count is about the same as an Indian bus crash.
Genocide is defined in Article 2 of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (1948) as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

Genocide is defined in Article 2 of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide (1948) as "any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such: killing members of the group; causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; [and] forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

I take back what I said earlier then because Israel ticks all those boxes.

bus crash in india kills 11 tourists: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rash-in-northern-India-kills-11-tourists.html

bus crash in india kills 45 people: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/30/india-bus-crash-kills-dozens

bus crash in india kills 30+: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/02/india-bus-crash-27-dead

strangely i can't find a bus crash in india which has killed 174. perhaps you can help.

Totally shocking.. its a sad day when governments choose to kill innocent people..
Who are the terrorists supposed to be..?

Apparently people in north gaza are being told to evacuate their homes as the vile murderous plan is to flatten the area
Where can they run to?
They are fenced in to be killed at will by The Racist Jewish State

When the fuck is the west going to stop pandering to these religious lunatics in israel. it's clear they view everyone else as second class citizens.

I think its a form of extreme national/geographical paranoia.
Its never a good idea to settle in a area surrounded by mountains and then antagonise your neighbours...

Think who controls the media.

Israel is a rogue state which would normally invite bombing and invasion or at least sanctions for it's genocidal terrorist activities. It is the only state in the middle east which actually does have WMDs, and yet it is given free reign.

We should've let Saddam have his supergun.

I haven't a clue. Enlighten me?

Can we not do the whole 'Jews run the media, no they don't, yes they do, you're an anti semite' on this thread please?

Does anyone know why Northern Gaza are being told to evacuate? My geography of the area is not good. Is it just a threat or is there a good reason?

Does anyone know why Northern Gaza are being told to evacuate? My geography of the area is not good. Is it just a threat or is there a good reason?

I don't think we know yet. Possibly a ground invasion, possibly a massive bombing campaign, possibly just psychological warfare. Nothing has happened yet as far as I know.

Also from Facebook:

10527412_907722459253568_1393107950099184926_n.jpg

When we hear of '400 Israeli airstrikes' against Gaza we don't necessarily understand just what a tiny area this constant bombing is happening in. A lot of people are probably thinking its the size of a smallish country like Ireland when in fact as the map below shows its more similar in size to the greater Dublin area.

Some 1.82 million people are crammed into this area, they are surrounded on the land side by a wall ringed with watchtowers staffed by snipers and machine gunners. Israeli naval boats maintain a constant blockade at the coast and at times like this shell the coast. Overhead there is the constant buzz of helicopters, drones and F16 Fighters.

If you are one of the 1.8 million people trapped in this giant prison you are going to hear just about every one of those airstrikes and you will constantly hear the threat of them in the form of plane, helicopter and drone engines overhead. If you are near the coast or near the apartheid wall (and Gaza is long and narrow so almost everyone is) you will have the added constant terror of a ground or naval assault.

She is young. She is pretty. She is a university graduate and a computer engineer. She is also an Israeli Parliamentarian - and the reason why I am on the brink of burning my Israeli passport. Because behind that wide-eyed innocent face lurks the Angel of Death.
Ayelet Shaked represents the far-right Jewish Home party in the Knesset. This means she is well to the right of Benyamin Netanyahu, just in case you thought such a thing was not possible.
On Monday she quoted this on her Facebook page: “Behind every terrorist stand dozens of men and women, without whom he could not engage in terrorism. They are all enemy combatants, and their blood shall be on all their heads. Now this also includes the mothers of the martyrs, who send them to hell with flowers and kisses. They should follow their sons, nothing would be more just. They should go, as should the physical homes in which they raised the snakes. Otherwise, more little snakes will be raised there.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why-im-on-the-brink-of-burning-my-israeli-passport-9600165.html

Not in the habit of comparing Israelis with the Third Reich, but that could have been lifted from any of its henchmen at the time.

TBH, i feel very little outrage over rockets fired from Gaza anymore. I'd rather there was no violence, but that seems impossible so I can't feel terribly upset that Palestine wants to defend itself, even if stupid religion informs it (as it seems to inform the murderers in Israel).

Funny how the west is super keen on making sure every muslim it encounters in the public eye condemns terrorism, but it never puts the same onus on Jewish speakers. If a muslim speaker appears on Fox News they get people like Brigitte Gabriel screaming at them and holding them to blame for all the world's ills.

Its horrendous what is happening in Gaza and Israel should be condemned, but Hamas's rockets are also sent with intent to kill and if they had bigger and more powerful rockets they would send them, its not a symmetric war but do you think Hamas wouldn't want to destroy Israel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom