Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food banks running out of basics, milk, etc, as panic buying develops.

treelover

Food banks run out of milk and other staples as shoppers panic-buy

Charities struggling for supplies urge people to think before coronavirus stockpiling

Food banks in Britain are running out of staples including milk and cereal as a result of panic-buying and are urging shoppers to think twice before hoarding as donations fall in the coronavirus outbreak.

Donations from shoppers at branches of Sainsbury’s and Waitrose slumped to 25% of their normal volume at one food bank in London, while they have fallen by a third at a Kirkcaldy food bank – where UHT milk has run out. Some facilities have warned they may close because of concerns about cross-infection, and a food bank in Stonebridge, a deprived area of north-west London, will cut the size of its food parcels by a third from Wednesday, with larger families facing the biggest reductions.

The Covid crisis is in so many ways going to expose the real levels of poverty, people struggling, etc, schools closing will be another, no childcare, no free school meals, but overall i am niot sure most people will notice or care

Cash will certainly help them buy stuff for people with dietry needs. I gather they could also use tinned fruit.

I've never donated to a foodbank and can't really afford to give very much but does someone know where I can donate to in the streatham or brixton area?

And what shall I take in ideally?

I've never donated to a foodbank and can't really afford to give very much but does someone know where I can donate to in the streatham or brixton area?
Our local Tesco has a food bank donation box, maybe they have the same setup there?

a timely reminder...foodbanks have never been is such great demand and I never remember a worst time to shop which means people often can't give or forget

I strongly suspect that there've been a shedload of food bank problems between July 2nd 2020, and today ;) :( :(

Here in Swansea we have a regular/weekly 'Food Share' event which distributes loads of near-date surpluses from supermarkets at ultra-low cost, twice a week. Festivaldeb (actual job : works from home ;) ) and other friends volunteer.

Not a proper foodbank as such, because it charges a little bit ( :confused: ) but it does do excellent work.

There are also actual foodbanks around here, very busy we hear :(

Last edited:
A timely nudge for foodbanks. Saw a collection yesterday while out shopping and went to market and got two carriers filled up
with stuff for them. I guess there are many out there who are really struggling and the food bank collection points are not
getting as many donations as they once did.

A timely nudge for foodbanks. Saw a collection yesterday while out shopping and went to market and got two carriers filled up
with stuff for them. I guess there are many out there who are really struggling and the food bank collection points are not
getting as many donations as they once did.

People are still giving but the volume of need has just shot up. It comes in and goes out just as quickly, so being able to stock up is difficult. In the one we have at work, certain products go faster than others but aren’t replaced at the same rate; we get through masses of pot noodles, instant cous cous, crisps... food that can be made with a kettle as in a hotel room, that’s all there is. Even though we put them on the list, people will give two pot noodles and a packet of pasta. We’re overwhelmed with pasta. And fucking tomato soup. We’ve now started to batch order microwaves, kettles and toasters so we can both give to service users so overall they have better facilities and because it allows us to use up more of our supplies and reduces the pot noodle pressure.

Back
Top Bottom