Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F*ck you, butter.

The price of it is enough to make you go mad these days. It was 89p a packet when we had the European butter mountain, now its over 2 nicker a fucking block.:eek:

We always have ours in a butter dish, next to the toaster. It doesn't last long enough to go off.

Morrison's savers was £1.89 last time I was in there, that is down a bit from the £2 it was at a couple of months ago.
2 years ago it was about £1.20 ofc.
On offer at £2 in our local outlet this evening. It stayed under the bag for life with the sausages at the scab tills.

Butter is automatically better than shitty marg - why buy chemical slop when you can gorge on the real deal stuff?
I'm not massive on either to be honest as I don't eat much bread, but I do find evangelical Butter snobs a bit over the top. Probably because I had a friend who had a similar reaction to you when I first met him and as I spent more time with him he came out with even more outlandish claims about food that didn't seem to have much substance in reality.

I went on a nutrition course a while back by the NHS through work. It's been a while since I did it, but I remember they were pretty inconclusive around butter/marge.

If it's on taste alone that's fair enough.

I'm not massive on either to be honest as I don't eat much bread, but I do find evangelical Butter snobs a bit over the top. Probably because I had a friend who had a similar reaction to you when I first met him and as I spent more time with him he came out with even more outlandish claims about food that didn't seem to have much substance in reality.

I went on a nutrition course a while back by the NHS through work. It's been a while since I did it, but I remember they were pretty inconclusive around butter/marge.

If it's on taste alone that's fair enough.
Margarine has trans fats (in the UK), is a processed food and often contains palm oil. The butter in my fridge is made from milk only. NHS nutrition advice tends to be a bit wishy washy, which may be a better strategy than saying things like 'butter is better' if you're trying to promote moderation in a large population, but often means its advice is vague or a couple of decades out of date.

Just had three slices of pleasantly chilled toast with butter and last summer's blackberry jam on for breakfast. You hot toast fetishists don't know what you're missing out on.

I use a saucer on the toaster if the butter is too hard. It works well enough. Usually though I keep the butter in a dish on the side near the toaster, although it would be refrigerated when we lived in Spain.
'Liked' but slightly disappointed you don't put the butter on the toaster and get it out with a knife if it slips in :(

'Liked' but slightly disappointed you don't put the butter on the toaster and get it out with a knife if it slips in :(
I use the bun/croissant warmer rack to keep the butter from falling in. If it did I’d let it drip out the bottom onto the crumb trays and clean it that way. Anything left on the heating elements would burn off. It wo be ok as long as it didn’t catch fire.

You were right to question it, as I'd got it fudged together a bit with the earlier versions of spreads, however, there are negative effects which do need more examination.

Margarine has trans fats (in the UK), is a processed food and often contains palm oil. The butter in my fridge is made from milk only. NHS nutrition advice tends to be a bit wishy washy, which may be a better strategy than saying things like 'butter is better' if you're trying to promote moderation in a large population, but often means its advice is vague or a couple of decades out of date.

Just had three slices of pleasantly chilled toast with butter and last summer's blackberry jam on for breakfast. You hot toast fetishists don't know what you're missing out on.
They do not have trans fats in, although some have palm oil. I buy Lurpak spreadable which has rapeseed oil and no nasty chemicals.

Butter (64%) (Milk), Rapeseed Oil, Water, Lactic Culture (Milk), Salt

Besides, I don't trust anyone who enjoys cold toast :p

They do not have trans fats in, although some have palm oil. I buy Lurpak spreadable which has rapeseed oil and no nasty chemicals.

Butter (64%) (Milk), Rapeseed Oil, Water, Lactic Culture (Milk), Salt

Besides, I don't trust anyone who enjoys cold toast :p
That's not margarine. Spreadable butters vary wildly but I wouldn't have thought they commonly have trans fat.

I've switched from butter to Anchor "Lighter Spreadable".

It's described as a reduced fat blend of butter and rapeseed oil with salt, and specifically states that it contains no palm oil, hydrogenated fats, artificial colourings or preservatives.

Tastes great, spreads easily and can be used in cooking :)

I've switched from butter to Anchor "Lighter Spreadable".

It's described as a reduced fat blend of butter and rapeseed oil with salt, and specifically states that it contains no palm oil, hydrogenated fats, artificial colourings or preservatives.

Tastes great, spreads easily and can be used in cooking :)
Sounds worth a try

Back
Top Bottom