Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let’s get to know each others butter

We like Grahams, but only have it when it’s on offer and therefore cheaper or as cheap as own brand. We currently do have Graham’s.

1729418500497.jpeg

We used to have spreadable butter as well (not instead), but stopped when Mrs LR read dire health warnings about them being ultra processed and with death causing seed oil. She likes to take onboard dire health warnings about ultra processed food.

I currently have butter, but used to not as I try to reduce dairy. However I need to find a vegan spread there isn’t dire health warning about.

Does anyone here buy cream and whip it into butter themselves? I have a colleague who does, and she's almost as lazy as me, so it can't be too difficult.

According to the BBC you can do it with a glass jar and a marble.
I've done this. A 1/2lb block of butter would cost about 50 quid if you bought the cream and made it into butter.

Reactions: tim
I currently have butter, but used to not as I try to reduce dairy. However I need to find a vegan spread there isn’t dire health warning about
I doubt that such a foodstuff exists! It's all going to kill you. And it's all good for you. Olive oil, dairy, lard, sunflower oil, whatever.

You'd think something like apples would be safe, and then someone jumps in to tell you they're full of cyanide.

I remember paying for school milk with sixpence pieces, which stood in for a 2 1/2p coin at the time: the cost of the milk.

View attachment 447680

School milk was free. The milk monitors were scamming you.

At my first primary, we were allowed to pour whatever milk we didn’t want from our little bottles into a huge vat that was carted off to the kitchens to be converted, presumably, into custard. Backwash custard.

I doubt that such a foodstuff exists! It's all going to kill you. And it's all good for you. Olive oil, dairy, lard, sunflower oil, whatever.

You'd think something like apples would be safe, and then someone jumps in to tell you they're full of cyanide.
Yeah, I know. And one picks ones battles. I was being playful.

My school use to put the bottles on the radiator in the winter to warm the milk up a bit before break time which made it even more disgusting.

The only way I can drink milk now is ice cold from the fridge.
Ours used to sit outside for hours in a crate so in winter was pretty frozen. Then it'd sit under a radiation so when we came to drink it, it was a mix of warm with bits of ice in. 🤮

Peanut butter is great on crumpets
I don't like peanut butter on any kind of toasted bread. But what is unexpectedly good on crumpets is the whey of cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is largely disgusting, a flavourless white amorphous lump that can generally only be eaten if disguised by things with flavour, and even then it's not easy. It's a disgrace to the good name of cheese. But if you dribble the whey into the holes of the crumpet, it's divine. Unfortunately, this leaves you with a lot of useless curds.

I don't like peanut butter on any kind of toasted bread. But what is unexpectedly good on crumpets is the whey of cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is largely disgusting, a flavourless white amorphous lump that can generally only be eaten if disguised by things with flavour, and even then it's not easy. It's a disgrace to the good name of cheese. But if you dribble the whey into the holes of the crumpet, it's divine. Unfortunately, this leaves you with a lot of useless curds.
Have you tried Crowdie? It’s a cottage cheese type but it has a nicer texture, similar to a crumbly Boursin or something.

Homemade is best, but good commercial brands are widely available in Scotland.

I remember the milk carton being this weird pyramid shape. Then they changed it to a normal brick shape. I think it was brown with yellow and blue lettering. It sat on top of a cupboard getting warm and you gulped it down quickly because it was rank. I'm guessing it was probably semi-skimmed.

Back
Top Bottom