Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let’s get to know each others butter

Tried that one for the first time recently. Love the big chunks of salt in it. Assume it's discounted to get it out there and will become as expensive as the others soon.
In Cornwall so they've had it for ages here, it's usually about the same price anyway, was 25p off I think last time but thats still cheaper than the others except tesco's at full price.

I don't really eat butter. Several months ago I saw some crumpets and had a sudden desire to eat them, so I bought some. Afterwards, I gave the rest of the butter away. I don't rememer what brand it was (probably Tesco own brand), but it was certainly salted.

Cultured Butter

It's a sort of delicious super-buttery butter. I use as a spread on toast, etc. I don't know if it makes a difference when used as a cooking ingredient
622191011_0_640x640.jpg

https://www.ocado.com/products/the-...r627eizysh5pmfclvyml605bpwpqlf_y7jvxmee9ffyfs

(From Wikipedia: "Before modern factory butter making, cream was usually collected from several milkings and was therefore several days old and somewhat fermented by the time it was made into butter. Butter made in this traditional way (from a fermented cream) is known as cultured butter. During fermentation, the cream naturally sours as bacteria convert milk sugars into lactic acid. The fermentation process produces additional aroma compounds, including diacetyl, which makes for a fuller-flavored and more "buttery" tasting product.")

Does anyone here buy cream and whip it into butter themselves? I have a colleague who does, and she's almost as lazy as me, so it can't be too difficult.

According to the BBC you can do it with a glass jar and a marble.

Does anyone here buy cream and whip it into butter themselves? I have a colleague who does, and she's almost as lazy as me, so it can't be too difficult.

No, but I've been known to make my own water with a bunch of hydrogen and oxygen. Something to while away the long winter nights.

Against my will, I admit to being intrigued.

I've done it when I got a load of cheap double cream. Very easy to do in a food mixer but you have to wash it really well to remove all the buttermilk otherwise it will make it go rancid quickly. Then you use the buttermilk to make pancakes or scones.
I made loads of garlic butter with wild garlic and frozen it.

I have done this a couple of times when I've found cream in the reduced section, it is very easy but I did use a hand blender.

I buy Lidl lurpak, think it's called Danpak, it's got a higher butter content than the Aldi version and yes I could taste the difference. I don't like other spreads/margarine, they are too greasy to me.

Back
Top Bottom