Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F*ck you, butter.

I don't refrigerate butter. It's always fine. The only time I'd stick it in the fridge is when it's really hot in the summer and the butter will melt otherwise. Unspreadable butter is a bugbear of mine.

I use Lurpak spredable. NO trans fats unless I don't actually understand what one is, quite probably.
e.g.
Butter (64%) (Milk),
Rapeseed Oil,
Water,
Lactic Culture (Milk),
Salt.

in hotels I just open the square of butter and smear it over the toast.

Saves on washing up cos I didn't use a knife.
:cool:

The chemicals used to make it spreadable are created in labs, and the body finds them impossible to break down properly.

If you're going for cholesterol-lowering stuff, I'd get the yoghurt drinks (which have gone astronomically expensive now) or plant sterol tablets (which is now my preferred option). Obviously, eat plenty of oats and barley too, for their beneficial effects.

Lidls is your friend. Those yoghurt drink things are still cheap.

You can use fridge-cold butter for toast without a problem - just open up one end of the packet, and use like a pritt stick to smear butter on the toast. The heat of the toast melts the butter enough.
Only problem is that toast should be buttered when cold and only savages and barbarians would eat it hot with the butter all melted.

If you hold the knife so the blade is perpendicular to the surface of the butter and repeatedly move it across quickly then you will get little curls of butter that spread just fine.

Why would you eat cold toast in any form? Being hot is one of the main points of toasting.
The main point of toasting is to make it crispy; toast is almost always cold by the time you eat it as bread is a poor retainer of heat. If cold toast is a no-no, explain the existence of toast racks which are designed to make toast cool (and therefore become edible) more quickly.

If you get something like Vogel's and keep it in the freezer you'll find the butter spreads very easily on a frozen slice and then it will defrost fairly quickly. Ideal for making sandwiches.

The chemicals used to make it spreadable are created in labs, and the body finds them impossible to break down properly.

If you're going for cholesterol-lowering stuff, I'd get the yoghurt drinks (which have gone astronomically expensive now) or plant sterol tablets (which is now my preferred option). Obviously, eat plenty of oats and barley too, for their beneficial effects.
Got any resources for this?

toast is almost always cold by the time you eat it as bread is a poor retainer of heat.

I know. This is the Tragedy of Toast. It would be ideal as an accompaniment to a cooked breakfast, but it is cold and unpalatable by the time most of it is eaten. It encapsulates the human condition in a piece of crispy bread.

If cold toast is a no-no, explain the existence of toast racks which are designed to make toast cool (and therefore become edible) more quickly.

As I said, it encapsulates the human condition. We repeat the same mistake with the hope of a different outcome. Perhaps this time the toast will stay warm, the optimists thing.

During the winter I keep a couple of sarnies worth of butter at a time in a butter dish, I check it a bit before I plan to use it and if a bit of softening is necessary stick the dish either in front of the tv, or the top of my PC case is better if I am gaming.

During the winter I keep a couple of sarnies worth of butter at a time in a butter dish, I check it a bit before I plan to use it and if a bit of softening is necessary stick the dish either in front of the tv, or the top of my PC case is better if I am gaming.
I just stick it in my pocket in the foil wrap it comes in :oops:

Back
Top Bottom