Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thread for Other Invertebrates Not Covered By Other Threads (we have other threads for arachnids, bees & wasps, butterflies and moths, and flies)

You are saying this like it's a bad thing.
More Bumble facts, please!

This is your fault, don't say you didn't ask :p :D

It's a myth that bees will die if they sting you.
Only females have stingers, as they are an adaptation of the ovipositor, males can't sting.
Honey bees have barbed/hooked stingers and if they sting you and the stinger gets stuck in your skin, it can cause damage to the abdomen which may result in their death. This does tend to put them off stinging unless the really have to.
Bumble bees however have straight stingers, and can sting multiple times and fly away quite happily afterwards and go on with their lives. They tend not to though as they are very placid and generally will try to get away or give you a warning (the raised leg) to leave it alone. They just want to get on with their bumbling in peace.

Bumblies are buzz-pollinators, and some plants are adapted to hold onto their pollen - pollen is expensive to produce in terms of energy and nutrients required (and hence is a valuable food source to some species), and some plants have evolved to produce less pollen and be more frugal with releasing it until the right conditions come along - bumblies can sit on a flower and hold on to the anther with their legs, dislocate their wings from their wing muscles, then rapidly pulsate their wing muscles up to 200 times per second to shake pollen out of the anther onto their bodies.
Females have specially adapted rear legs with a spike on them which is called a pollen basket, once pollen is on their fur they will wipe it off with their front legs and deposit it in the pollen basket area. Males do not do this, so if you see one with the blobs of pollen on its rear legs, it is a female (either a queen or a worker), if pollen is all over its fur and no pollen baskets, then it is a male (the term drone is not used for Bumblies, that is specific to honey bee colonies).

Honey bees are a domesticated non-native species and although some people seem to think it's good for the environment to have honey bee hives, all they are really doing is intensive farming - one colony of honey bees requires 4 football pitches size of flowers to sustain it, and in areas where this sort of flower distribution and diversity are not available, having a honey bee hive without also providing an appropriate amount of forage for them is a threat to our native wild bees who cannot out compete domestic bees.
Bumble bees are only ever 40 minutes away from starvation, so having a window box with herbs or a pot with flowering herbs or lavender on a balcony or doorstep or patio can be a very valuable stop off point for bees who need to feed. It doesn't matter how high up in a tower block a balcony is, bumblies originally evolved in the Himalayas, they are adapted for cool climates and flying at high altitude and if there was a lavender plant on top of The Shard, they'd find it useful and visit it. Oh and while honeybees "dance" to tell others in their hive where good sources of food are, bumblies do not do this behaviour at all.

Some bumblies only have one colony cycle a year, others have 2. In the south of England, buff-tailed bumblies have started to have 3 cycles as our autumns have been getting milder. Increased periods of rain are a threat though, because they cannot forage in heavy rain and don't tend to store that much food.

Bumblies will nest in a variety of places depending upon species - carder bees prefer long tussocks of grass with patches of sphagnum moss, tree bumblies like old woodpecker or parakeet nests or other holes in trees, or unused tit boxes (quiet at the back!) with last year's bedding still in it, most other bumblies nest underground - they are not particularly good diggers but love old rodent tunnels or rabbit burrows. At this time of year, you mostly see newly out of hibernation bumble queens flying in a zig zag pattern close to the ground looking for potential nest sites (although the tree bumblies will be a bit higher up searching for holes in trees).
They forage as they go, and when they find a suitable spot they will build little cups in which to store the watery nectar they collect. Unlike honeybees, they don't produce honey and don't build complex cellular structures (and the reason we farm honeybees is because they do this and we can utilise the honey and wax easily, bumblies do not store as much food and their nests are messier).

The queen, who was mated shortly after hatching the previous autumn before going into hibernation for the winter will then go in and out of the nest collecting food, until she has enough to raise her first brood. Her first brood are all female workers - this is determined by pheromones produced by the queen, which she does instinctively depending upon pheromone signals received from bees around her, telling her the demographics of her colony, and also how much food is being brought back (males and new queens are expensive in terms of resources to produce and provide no food to the colony, so will only be produced when the colony is very successful) - if she's the only one there and food is low, she'll only produce female workers. (This seems odd to us, but it's worth bearing in mind that insects have been evolving for far far far longer than mammals, who are just a recent blip on planet Earth, and have developed some very complex reproductive and survival adaptations).
They will then go out and forage and bring back food - from this point the queen will spend the rest of her life in the nest, laying eggs.

Towards the end of the season if the nest is successful the queen will switch pheromone production and then some males will develop and hatch - but get this, they develop from unfertilised eggs, and are haploid - ie. they only have 1 set of chromosomes instead of in pairs, which would require 2 parents resulting in egg fertilisation.
Males once grown will then leave the nest, never to return - they go and feed themselves, and (most species, notably not tree bumble males, who will try to invade other tree bumblie nests to find queens) hang out on flowers waiting for a new queen to come and visit them on their flower for mating - their sole purpose in life is to fertilise a new queen's eggs after which they die, they don't live long and are only seen at the end of the colony cycle.
The existing queen will then again switch pheromones, and produce new queens, who when they are developed will leave the nest, find a male to mate, and if they are from the first colony cycle they will immediately go and find a new nest spot and start round 2, or if they are from the final cycle of the season and it is autumn, they will forage to build up fat stores and find a hole underground to hibernate for the winter.

Bees evolved from wasps (they are essentially vegetarian wasps), so although some people are "ugh, wasps" but " ❤️ bees", if it wasn't for wasps, bees wouldn't exist.

I hope that is either a) interesting, or b) at the very least not too tedious :D You did ask :D

Last edited:
One thing I've tried to do in my garden is provide food for the bees including bumblebees for as much of the year as possible. So I have plants which flower at different times of the year. At the moment, it's predominantly hellebores, daffodils and primroses. It does seem to encourage them to visit my garden - I've just seen a bumblebee buzzing round the ivy outside my window. I think the ivy flowers are also a good source of food at this time of the year even if the flowers go relatively unnoticed by us.

One thing I've tried to do in my garden is provide food for the bees including bumblebees for as much of the year as possible. So I have plants which flower at different times of the year. At the moment, it's predominantly hellebores, daffodils and primroses. It does seem to encourage them to visit my garden - I've just seen a bumblebee buzzing round the ivy outside my window. I think the ivy flowers are also a good source of food at this time of the year even if the flowers go relatively unnoticed by us.
Excellent, this is what we need to be doing - especially in the South where some species are having 2 or even 3 colony cycles a year - providing forage from late winter right the way through to late autumn/early winter is vital for bumblebee success.
Also try to provide different types/shapes of flowers - different species have different lengths of tongue adapted for different shaped flowers, and providing a variety of flower shapes will feed a wider variety of bee species.
Long tongued bees tend to like nettles and dead nettles, foxgloves, red clover etc where they really have to get their tongue deep into a flower to get at the good stuff.
Garden Bumblebees have a distinctive long face and a massively long tongue that is as long as their body - they often leave it hanging out a bit curled up while flying between flowers to save energy rather than repeatedly reeling it in and then deploying it again for each flower - they appreciate a nice long/deep flower that other shorter-tongued bees won't be able to forage.

Only newly hatched and mated queens tend to survive the winter anyway, if you had any and they were able to find somewhere to hibernate then that is the best you can expect really
I know, it's a massive polytunnel and there were several queens of more than one species who I think had hibernated in there last winter. Whichever spots were chosen this year would've become much colder and wetter once they were already hibernating though.

Excellent, this is what we need to be doing - especially in the South where some species are having 2 or even 3 colony cycles a year - providing forage from late winter right the way through to late autumn/early winter is vital for bumblebee success.
Also try to provide different types/shapes of flowers - different species have different lengths of tongue adapted for different shaped flowers, and providing a variety of flower shapes will feed a wider variety of bee species.
Long tongued bees tend to like nettles and dead nettles, foxgloves, red clover etc where they really have to get their tongue deep into a flower to get at the good stuff.
Garden Bumblebees have a distinctive long face and a massively long tongue that is as long as their body - they often leave it hanging out a bit curled up while flying between flowers to save energy rather than repeatedly reeling it in and then deploying it again for each flower - they appreciate a nice long/deep flower that other shorter-tongued bees won't be able to forage.
I'm trying my best to provide a variety of flower types throughout the year. I usually manage to have something flowering every month.

I've just had a walk around the garden and at the moment there's the hellebores, daffs, ivy and primroses in flower I mentioned previously but there's also (deep breath); vinca minor, hyacinth, muscari, wild(ish) violets, skimmia, hazel catkins, viburnum, mahonia, pulmonaria (a bee favourite), bay tree and some very early forget-me-nots.

There were also several bumblebees buzzing around. :)

I'm trying my best to provide a variety of flower types throughout the year. I usually manage to have something flowering every month.

I've just had a walk around the garden and at the moment there's the hellebores, daffs, ivy and primroses in flower I mentioned previously but there's also (deep breath); vinca minor, hyacinth, muscari, wild(ish) violets, skimmia, hazel catkins, viburnum, mahonia, pulmonaria (a bee favourite), bay tree and some very early forget-me-nots.

There were also several bumblebees buzzing around. :)

The part of the country you are in being very wooded, you could probably encourage some tree bumblies to nest by putting up a tit box in a south facing position so it gets the sun, if you have an old one from last year with old bird bedding in it all the better - the theory is that if you put up one south facing with old bird bedding (twigs, straw, feathers) in then bees will use it, if you put up a north facing one and clear out the old bedding from previous year and give it a good clean, then tits will use it :)

Back
Top Bottom