Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Poo and bones i.d. (not for the squeamish!)

Of course birds of prey do prey on smaller birds.
The turds in your photos look like mammal turds, whereas the bones, which you say look def avian/ small bird may have been sicked up with some hair and whatnot by a larger bird of prey or a mammal for whatever reason
I just can’t imagine an animal or bird that sicks up something for later or to feed it’s young, right next to its pile of shit

I’m still thinking if the shit/ scat is very smelly its probs fox or badger, or maybe even some sort of mustelid? Stoats around here will get an adult sized rabbit.

Gotcha.

Yeah, that was what threw me, why is it with the poo?

Reckon a raptor landed to see what the poo was, sniffed it and immediately vommed :D

Stoats around here will get an adult sized rabbit.
That skeleton looks whole so whatever ate it must have swallowed it whole. Stats wouldn't be able to swallow a baby rabbit whole? Don't most raptors rip their prey apart and eat the bits? :hmm:

Gotcha.

Yeah, that was what threw me, why is it with the poo?

Reckon a raptor landed to see what the poo was, sniffed it and immediately vommed :D
Or maybe the fox or badger was looking for a quiet place to have a poo and thought ‘oh this old skeleton looks likes it’s been here a while, obviously no-one comes this way very often’

That skeleton looks whole so whatever ate it must have swallowed it whole. Stats wouldn't be able to swallow a baby rabbit whole? Don't most raptors rip their prey apart and eat the bits? :hmm:
I don’t know
I often find, or the dog finds, dead rabbits and birds with the guts taken out, or otherwise party eaten, that something has dropped or left. I think raptors, like other rabbit and rodent eaters, probably eat the quickest and easiest bit unless they’re really hungry or have young to feed. Re stoats, I don’t know if they’d eat a whole one but I’ve seen them carrying a rabbit twice their size off over the field

Years ago, very early one morning, I saw a fox that was carrying a dead rabbit down the side of the road find another dead rabbit [roadkill].
It spent a few moments shuffling them around so it could pick up both by the legs, so one was hanging from each side of it's mouth.
It trotted off very happily ...
Just wish I'd a camera with me.

Re stoats, I don’t know if they’d eat a whole one but I’ve seen them carrying a rabbit twice their size off over the field
Quite possible but they aren't going to swallow it whole. It would have to bite lumps out of it which if they included the bones would result in bone fragments in its poo not a whole skeleton. And if the 'poo' is 4" long then it's nearly as big as a stoat. :eek: :hmm:

What’s the creature whose bones it is? It looks beaky? I did just look up ‘hedgehog skeleton’ and don’t think it’s one of them. I think if you can identify the bones in the pellet that will lead you to the likely predator and if it’s avian then it’s probly not their poo. Fascinating
I’m not sanding any paintwork, cleaning any bathrooms or cutting down any overgrown shrubs

The skeletal remains are from a bird, you can tell by the forelimbs and the pelvis - something around sparrow size (ie. small finch, chat or tit) judging by the comparison to fucthest8 's hand

I think by the way it is folded up it could have been eaten whole and regurgitated - which would be usual for a larger bird of prey (most birds regurgitate stuff, much more frequently than other types of animals). Mammal predators would be more likely to shred it and leave bits of it all over the place.

Won't do him any harm. I used to collect bat skeletons as a kid and doubt I washed my hands - still alive all these years later.
When I were young it was not that uncommon to bury roadkill, then dig up the skeletons a few years later. I had a full fox skeleton, a badger skull and a tortoise shell-and-bones.

When I were young it was not that uncommon to bury roadkill, then dig up the skeletons a few years later. I had a full fox skeleton, a badger skull and a tortoise shell-and-bones.
I do wonder what happened to my collection of bat skeletons. I presumably left them at my parents house when I moved out so I guess they probably binned them. :(

Back
Top Bottom