Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F*ck you, butter.

savoloysam

Ready to move into the light
I prefer proper butter to margarine. It's actually healthier apparently due to the trans fats in margarine, and of course it tastes a million times better BUT your supposed to store it the fridge and it's always rock hard unless you melt it but then it rips the hell out of your bread. What a fuck off!

Why do you think it should be stored in the fridge? Butter dishes don't go in the fridge. They're designed to just sit on your work surface. Also, if you have a microwave, 10 seconds is enough to soften it to spread. Even better, the old ways - put on the hearth in front of a proper fire for 10 mins.

But yeh agree, it is much better for you than spreads, even olive spread, which surprised me. Check that shitty list of ingredients on the so-called healthy option!

I do put carrots in the fridge, in their own container. Before I did this they would go off within a week. It's being in a container on their own that's important though I think. They may be fine outside the fridge in their own container though. I may try that one day.

I have a little butter dish and put out some of the butter on that. when I remember. Usually too late. So microwave it for a few seconds which melts some of it too much.
There's a very fine margin if you're only microwaving a bit of it. Needs to be at least 1.5" thick, and that only really needs 5 seconds, if that.

We just put a whole block in at a time.

I do put carrots in the fridge, in their own container. Before I did this they would go off within a week. It's being in a container on their own that's important though I think. They may be fine outside the fridge in their own container though. I may try that one day.
I find they go sweaty and rotten easier in the fridge tbh. I keep them unbagged in a cardboard box in the pantry, along with my other veg. I keep onions in a separate bag cos of the gases they release.

You can get a special butter dish called a butter keeper.
Fill on side with butter and put some water in the other side.
Keeps the butter fresh out of the fridge.71J3hY6Jq0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg61tpUjbg+LL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I prefer butter but usually have benecol spread, is that unhealthy too?
The chemicals used to make it spreadable are created in labs, and the body finds them impossible to break down properly.

If you're going for cholesterol-lowering stuff, I'd get the yoghurt drinks (which have gone astronomically expensive now) or plant sterol tablets (which is now my preferred option). Obviously, eat plenty of oats and barley too, for their beneficial effects.

I find they go sweaty and rotten easier in the fridge tbh. I keep them unbagged in a cardboard box in the pantry, along with my other veg. I keep onions in a separate bag cos of the gases they release.
Ah it was probably keeping them with the onions that spoiled them :facepalm:

I shall remove them from the fridge and just keep them somewhere cool. See urban75's a life-changing experience :thumbs:

The chemicals used to make it spreadable are created in labs, and the body finds them impossible to break down properly.

If you're going for cholesterol-lowering stuff, I'd get the yoghurt drinks (which have gone astronomically expensive now) or plant sterol tablets (which is now my preferred option). Obviously, eat plenty of oats and barley too, for their beneficial effects.
I didn't realise that there were plant sterol tablets, I'll go and have a look. Yes I have the little yoghurt drinks too. Thnx x

There's a very fine margin if you're only microwaving a bit of it. Needs to be at least 1.5" thick, and that only really needs 5 seconds, if that.

We just put a whole block in at a time.

That also melts. I haven't worked out how to do the defrost setting.

If I buy any bagged veg that goes in the fridge (spinach / kale etc) I always open the plastic bag. Don’t know if that’s right or not but that’s how I play it

I have a butter dish also which doesn't go in the fridge. Though in the raging heat we had last summer the butter melted. That was awkward. Usually my kitchen stays cool all year round.
I thank my lucky stars regularly that we have a proper pantry. Acts as a second fridge, especially in the heat.

I do keep butter in the fridge in the summer because it’s too melty. I also just stick the whole butter dish in the microwave for 10 seconds as it’s too hard in this cold weather.

Or I just have inch thick butter that melts into my toast and goes everywhere. ❤️

I'm currently taking these, which are a mix of plant sterols Plant Sterols 1000mg tablets - Vita Pharma
they don't look like they spread easily :hmm:

carrots are out of the fridge and haven't gone off yet. In summer I shall consider cutting a piece of butter off for the butter dish while keeping the rest in the fridge. It's not the butter melting that concerns me, it's the going rancid although I can't actually remember butter having gone rancid in the last 20 years, the kitchen's quite cool in summer.

I prefer proper butter to margarine. It's actually healthier apparently due to the trans fats in margarine, and of course it tastes a million times better BUT your supposed to store it the fridge and it's always rock hard unless you melt it but then it rips the hell out of your bread. What a fuck off!
The trick to not having your bread getting ripped is as soon as it comes out of the toaster or grill is put a small amount in the middle of the bread and the heat melts it ,so you just spread it out gently.

Back
Top Bottom