Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Excessive vegetable size quandary

Any random bits of veg I've got left over (depending what they are), go on to make soup, curry, fritatta, roast veg or get added as a pizza topping. Or they go in the dog.

It used to take HOURS of pain hollowing out turnip lanterns,folk don't know they're born hollowing out wussy pumpkins

God - how I remember the misery of that - and they always caved in because I'd cut them in the wrong place and they were too small.

the joys of a Yorkshire childhood :(

You can buy mini cabbages - they cost the same probbaly as an entire cabbage but at least you wouldnt be throwing any away.

Not sure how well cabbage freezes? might that be an option? or just plan your following meals to include cabbage.

Chop and freeze them in the amounts you can use.

This or just buy frozen veg. Frozen peas and sweetcorn are £1/kg and £1.20(ish)/kg at Lidl. Not impressed to see the hike in the sweetcorn price :mad:
They do mix veg(broccoli, carrot and cauliflower) for about £1 too.

Pins? What's with the plural? We only had one and I had to fight for that with my 8 brothers and 5 sisters

I don't buy cabbage of cauli whole so am no help sorry.

I am still wondering what to do with this beaut though. After I have washed my love muck off it obviously.

oooh-1.jpg

MOAR guinea pigs?
Well being scottish living in England there is a lot of confusion.

This is what I call a neep/swede

swede_mid.jpg

larger, yellow/purple.

And this a turnip

Turnip.jpg

smaller white/purple

I think the latter is a native turnip and the former a swedish turnip which emigrated here at some point and became more popular.
They're both blatantly turnips, but the upper one is also a Swede.

hth.
Chop and freeze them in the amounts you can use.

I don't buy cabbage of cauli whole so am no help sorry.

I am still wondering what to do with this beaut though. After I have washed my love muck off it obviously.<snip>
Well, you could make some of it into special vegetable soup for the next lot of JWs coming to your door. ;)

Don't think anything is sold as 'swedes' there even.
Tescos are getting a lot of things wrong. They insist on calling them "Swedes (Scotland only)", which suggests they know they are getting something wrong, but not actually what it is they have got wrong.

They also get very confused about pancakes and tattie scones.

All I know is what is a turnip in the north goes by the name of a swede in the supermarkets I frequent in the smoke.

All I know is what is a turnip in the north goes by the name of a swede in the supermarkets I frequent in the smoke.

That's because a swede is a Swedish turnip. They're both the right names. The problems come when people start calling white turnips swedes. Swedes/Swedish turnips have orange flesh :)

Back
Top Bottom