Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Excessive vegetable size quandary

So you find yourself making a Sunday roast for a small amount of people. Meat is meat and too much can always be used throughout the week in sandwiches or whatever.

What I find difficult is that you can usually buy vegetables to suit your needs apart from two. Cabbage and Turnip. Which are sold by the entire article. And waaaaaay too much than what is needed, in my circumstances any road.

What solutions do people have for this? I find that vegetables don't keep too long once dabbled with - they generally don't keep long enough for Sunday roast a week later and the amount left is too excessive to feel happy about binning and too much for the guinea pig to deal with alone.

Obviously making a stew with the leftovers or soup is an idea. Any others? I rarely use either ingredients in anything other than Sunday dinner. Suggestions appreciated.

Cabbage? We cut it in half or quarters.

Turnips we never buy.

Ah right, what colour is this Northern Turnip when uve cooked and served it :D
Really bothering me as to whether its the same fucking thing Im calling a swede now :D

Really bothering me as to whether its the same fucking thing Im calling a swede now :D

And if its NOT the same as what im calling a swede, are major chains like tesco changing what they call it depending on where you are in the country? Wheres the line drawn. Is there a virtual turnip border?

I'm from the North and have lived in the SE for 14 years. A London Swede is the same thing as a Middlesbrough Turnip. Period.

And if its NOT the same as what im calling a swede, are major chains like tesco changing what they call it depending on where you are in the country? Wheres the line drawn. Is there a virtual turnip border?

I'm wondering about this also.

068821.jpg

Available in Tesco, presumably only Tesco in Scotland.

Its gonna be orange isnt it, if id read my own bloody link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga

Rutabaga is the common American and Canadian term for the plant. It comes from the Swedish word Rotabagge, meaning simply "root bag". "Swede" is the preferred term used in most of the English-speaking world, including England, Wales, Australia, India, New Zealand and many other parts of the world that use British English as a standard.[citation needed] In the U.S., the plant is also known as "Swedish turnip" or "yellow turnip", while in Ireland, it is referred to as "turnip". The name turnip is also used in parts of Northern and Midland England, Cornwall, Ontario and Atlantic Canada. In Scots, it is either "tumshie" or "neep",

This wasnt aimed at you, uve got your own neeps border somewhere above the turnip border. We have Citizen boxed in the middle.

*cough* yes well, as long as that is understood. We need some contributors from Birmingham, York, Preston, Manchester and other points north (or south or middle or east or west depending)

Well I know in Wales and Cornwall Tesco call it a swede!

Googling 'middlesbrough turnip' brings this as the first result:

What's the difference between turnips and swedes? On October 1 - the London (Ontario) Turnip Man's birthday - the London (England) newspaper The Times published this letter from Dr Nick O'Donovan, of Havant, Hampshire:
"Sir, Here on the South Coast, when I go to my local vegetable shop and ask for swede I am given a large, orange- fleshed vegetable. If I ask for turnip I receive a much smaller, whitish vegetable with a green top. When making the same request for these vegetables when staying at my in-laws' in Middlesbrough, the orange vegetable is proffered when requesting turnip and the smaller green-topped vegetable when requesting swede. I wonder at which junction of the M1 this nomenclature changes, and why?"
That letter drew these replies from other readers:
"A survey of the company tearoom suggested the border to be Yorkshire, with Nottinghamshire and Cheshire clearly in the 'South'. Lancashire is divided, with Manchester supporting the South but other areas applying the northern interpretation. Middlesbrough and Tyneside clearly follow the northern option but the Central North and Cumbria revert to southern ways. On very small samples the Irish Republic and New Zealand appear to follow the northern pattern while the US opted for southern. Australia is apparently too dry to grow either vegetable. ." Mark Wilson, c/o Delta Biotechnology, Nottingham.
"Here in the far South West we receive a large orange vegetable when asking for a turnip. I understand that if you require what in my youth in the South East was called a turnip you have to ask for a 'white turnip'. Incidentally, turnip of the orange variety is an essential ingredient of a Cornish pasty." - Mrs Ruth Parker, Mousehole, Penzance, Cornwall
"Alas, I cannot answer Dr O'Donovan's question. But perhaps he should note that in Northern Ireland the big orange thingy is a turnip, the small whitish one a white turnip, and a swede is the England football coach. - Peter Tray, London N12.

http://www.foodiesite.com/articles/2002-10:turnipman

Here in the far South West we receive a large orange vegetable when asking for a turnip. I understand that if you require what in my youth in the South East was called a turnip you have to ask for a 'white turnip'. Incidentally, turnip of the orange variety is an essential ingredient of a Cornish pasty." - Mrs Ruth Parker, Mousehole, Penzance, Cornwall

Strange, being as I bought Swede, in Penzance, 3 days ago, and it was a Swede, that which this lady apparently received when asking for a Turnip. Also, its swede in a Cornish pasty, I know Ive eaten hundreds of em. Infact inspired by this and the fact Im in penzance anyway then Im having one tomorrow and am gonna ask whether its got Turnip in it or Swede.

Strange, being as I bought Swede, in Penzance, 3 days ago, and it was a Swede, that which this lady apparently received when asking for a Turnip. Also, its swede in a Cornish pasty, I know Ive eaten hundreds of em. Infact inspired by this and the fact Im in penzance anyway then Im having one tomorrow and am gonna ask whether its got Turnip in it or Swede.

Careful now. You might cause an international incident.

You're succumbing to those darkly mystical southern 'ways'. What's mystifying is that you already existed within those parameters.

Same as. Except we called them neeps for short.

Anyway don't buy the small white ones. They're shit.

There's a thing; neep must be short for turnip though, because how the arse can it be short for swede? If you want to shorten swede, you'd have to call it an an eed or a sw.
And to me, a turnip is also the big one with the yellowy flesh and a swede is the other little thing which is white inside and which you corectly descibe as shit.

There's a thing; neep must be short for turnip though, because how the arse can it be short for swede? If you want to shorten swede, you'd have to call it an an eed or a sw.
And to me, a turnip is also the big one with the yellowy flesh and a swede is the other little thing which is white inside and which you corectly descibe as shit.

Swede is short for Swedish turnip (yellow flesh) as opposed to your usual white turnip

All swedes are turnips but not all turnips are swedes :)

Back
Top Bottom