Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best vegetable (no potato)

Actually lots of good vitamins and other nutrients in potatoes. If they were new on the market they'd be sold as a superfood for £5 a tiny box in Waitrose. You need to leave the skin on though.

I thought potatoes were ok as a vegetable until I went to China were they took it so literally as to serve potato stew with rice.

Actually lots of good vitamins and other nutrients in potatoes. If they were new on the market they'd be sold as a superfood for £5 a tiny box in Waitrose. You need to leave the skin on though.
The calorific baggage is an issue though :(
On the other hand, if you're seriously obese, a potato "mono" diet can help get you through the initial stages... and some people reckon they've gone even further ...

My dad's had an allotment for years. When I was younger, if there was a surplus of onions we would often have them boiled whole as a separate veg. :)
I can't imagine having a surplus of onions, unless the whole allotment was one big allium bed

I can't imagine having a surplus of onions, unless the whole allotment was one big allium bed
i used to have a surple of them when I lived near Deptford market, when it was cheaper to buy a massive sack of them for a quid, while a small bag cost the sameish from Tesco. Had to keep chucking rotten ones out.

i used to have a surple of them when I lived near Deptford market, when it was cheaper to buy a massive sack of them for a quid, while a small bag cost the sameish from Tesco. Had to keep chucking rotten ones out.
Obviously not cooking and eating enough onions

Potatoes, frozen peas and canned tomatoes are the only veggies I can remember from my suburban 60s and 70s upbringing - perhaps swede on special occasions ...
Ah, this is where being rural had its advantages - we didn't have access to much imported veg (I didn't see a pepper until the late 80s), but we grew a lot of veg so usually had a good range of fresh stuff - also traded with neighbours if they were growing different fruit/veg.

Ah, this is where being rural had its advantages - we didn't have access to much imported veg (I didn't see a pepper until the late 80s), but we grew a lot of veg so usually had a good range of fresh stuff - also traded with neighbours if they were growing different fruit/veg.
I stayed in Harperhey, north Manchester at some friends house in the mid 80s and this was a common experience.

Back
Top Bottom