Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Change in law banning pre-packed fruit and vegetables at supermarkets - WTAF

Chard is the future for our food challenged planet. Its like dr Who for its capacity to endless regenerate in a variety of ways. I've got a plant in the back garden that survived the beast from the east in 2018. And there was a small plant in the front garden that seeded itself in a street planter and now there are out posts of it in the gutter and in the cracks in people's front walls. I'm still not mad for its taste though I guess I should get used to it and perhaps start eating the ground elder that is so generous in the back garden
Chard is brill . The green is like spinach and the stems are great rolled in parmesan and fried or lightly battered

Avocado squeezers are the devil’s spawn.
What are you meant to do? if you want to eat the fking avocado today, or tomorrow, or with the Sainsbury's "Ripe and Ready" ones, anytime in the next month, you have to squeeze them.

Of course, if the supermarkets were a little bit more honest in their packaging.......

Thing is with avocados, if I squeeze it and it has a nice give, I'll buy it. If I squeeze it and it's hard, I won't buy it but I won't have damaged it. If I squeeze it and it collapses on me, it's no good for anyone anyway.

You do though: damage it. You know when you open an avo and it’s got a small local bruise in it? That‘s a thumb print, it’s the spot someone squeezed it too hard when it wasn’t ripe. That bruise can spread to the rest of the fruit over time, and spoil it by the time it’s ripe.

Like I said, to check an avo, don’t squeeze it. Check the stem, and only use the pad of your thumb and the flat of your fingers to feel, no force at all behind the pressing. You're meant to be feeling if it’s ripe, not seeing if you can poke your finger into the flesh.

You‘d not squeeze a peach and expect it to be undamaged. The flesh of the avo is soft too. The skin is hard but the flesh isnt.

This is why I only ever buy Hass avocados unripened now. Ripe Hass avos have been handled so much they’re almost certain to be bruised.
I do buy the big bright green Jamaican avos ripe, from the groceries mainly catering to Afro Caribbean people, mainly because they tend to know how to check for ripeness properly. Same with mangos.

Im very lucky to have Brixton Market, and the local grocery shops, where I can buy unwrapped fruit and veg, and single carrots and onions if I want to,

Last edited:
I'm feeling really conflicted by this: As a household of single residency I resent having to buy large bags of carrots and garlic from supermakets. On the other hand pre-packaged salad bags are a godsend, and there's nothing I can do with an iceberg lettuce that can match them..

But anyway we all know this is one small part of the 15-minute city conspiracy.. :thumbs:

I'm feeling really conflicted by this: As a household of single residency I resent having to buy large bags of carrots and garlic from supermakets. On the other hand pre-packaged salad bags are a godsend, and there's nothing I can do with an iceberg lettuce that can match them..

But anyway we all know this is one small part of the 15-minute city conspiracy.. :thumbs:
TBH, I expect it's more about the tories trying to flag green credentials.

They won't actually do it, cos their makes in Big Food won't let them.

You do though: damage it. You know when you open an avo and it’s got a small local bruise in it? That‘s a thumb print, it’s the spot someone squeezed it too hard when it wasn’t ripe. That bruise can spread to the rest of the fruit over time, and spoil it by the time it’s ripe.

Like I said, to check an avo, don’t squeeze it. Check the stem, and only use the pad of your thumb and the flat of your fingers to feel, no force at all behind the pressing. You're meant to be feeling if it’s ripe, not seeing if you can poke your finger into the flesh.

You‘d not squeeze a peach and expect it to be undamaged. The flesh of the avo is soft too. The skin is hard but the flesh isnt.

This is why I only ever buy Hass avocados unripened now. Ripe Hass avos have been handled so much they’re almost certain to be bruised.
I do buy the big bright green Jamaican avos ripe, from the groceries mainly catering to Afro Caribbean people, mainly because they tend to know how to check for ripeness properly. Same with mangos.

Im very lucky to have Brixton Market, and the local grocery shops, where I can buy unwrapped fruit and veg, and single carrots and onions if I want to,
I don't squeeze it hard. If it doesn't have a give to a light touch, it's not ready. I'm not poking holes in it. tbh overripe ones you don't even have to poke. You can tell just by picking them up.

I made several attempts to go plastic free over the years, especially before Covid (hence the attempt with a veg box) and its just not possible without a) massively increased cost and b) massively increased use of time to find stuff.

Oh and c) radical and total shifts in diet and lifestyle
Really depends on where you live, and your current diet and lifestyle etc. I buy ready meals sometimes because of executive dysfunction shit, and other things that come in unnecessary plastic as an occasional treat if they're reduced to pennies, but other than that it was easy to use almost no plastic where I lived before. Lots of local shops let you bring your own container to fill, including several that only sold things that way, so it was just a normal way of shopping. It needs to be much easier for everyone, everywhere though.

I really miss proper old-school greengrocers which had the walls lined with deep trays of fruit and veg, and had brown paper bags. They were cheap, too. If we had a local one we'd use it a lot rather than buying fruit and veg in Sainsbury's or Aldi.

We tried Abel and Cole (kept referring to them as Farrow and Ball as they probably appeal to the same demographic :D ) and gave up due to too much muddy chard/constant 'no beetroot please' reminders/not great quality for the money etc. etc.

I'm pleased to see this initiative although one shrink-wrapped head of broccoli should never have been allowed to become a thing. The more big companies are forced to do environmentally-friendly stuff, the better. I eagerly await refilling stations for hand soap, washing liquid etc.

I'm getting very tired of the onus to be environmentally-friendly being forced onto the consumer. While I applaud those of you who do it, I simply cannot be arsed to keep bits of plastic film and take them to the supermarket. Better not to have them in the first place.

I really miss proper old-school greengrocers which had the walls lined with deep trays of fruit and veg, and had brown paper bags. They were cheap, too. If we had a local one we'd use it a lot rather than buying fruit and veg in Sainsbury's or Aldi.
Totally this.

People chose the cheaper more convenient option.
It's not just that. High street rents went up. Supermarkets created their own corner shops with their 'metros' and 'locals' and 'little' shops and outcompeted everyone else, able to take short-term losses if necessary where independent businesses can't. Smaller grocers were squeezed out. Supermarkets also have monopolies on various supply chains, right back to the farmers.

Yes high street rents have fucked independents, and therefore many high streets and town centres. But economies of scale and control over suppliers only goes so far. Most people do their best for themselves under the failing system we live under. Supporting the local bakery, butcher, greengrocer etc used to be normal. Now it's an unfeasible ballache.

Got two decent fishmongers where I live...cheaper and fresher than the supermarkets 5 minutes away..some people still buy their fish at the supermarket...its convenience - price has little to do with it . Same reason corner shops survive
I hate not living near a proper market nowadays. They are always cheaper and fresher than supermarkets. When I go to the big versions of supermarkets like Tesco, I'm always amazed at how shit their fish is. It's expensive, usually prewrapped in plastic and mediocre in quality.

Supermarkets like Lidl have their place, and their veg is a good price, although it usually doesn't last too long. And more upmarket supermarkets like Waitrose that at least have fresh fish and meat counters with traceable produce also have their place. But the likes of Tesco can fuck the fuck off. They're just shit. They sell bad food for bad prices and promote bad farming practices.

Last edited:
I guess I'm an outlier.
I visit Aldi about once a week and buy more veg than the average family.
Perhaps 4 bags of sprouts, one or two heads of broccoli, a bag of chopped kale, two 64og punnets of wonky mushrooms...plus a red cabbage and a kilo and a half of carrots and red onions every other visit...

I don't do recipes.
TBF, I think it would be tricky finding recipes that encompassed that particular ingredients list ;)

I suppose I'm cynical because given the whole of my lifestyle, the small amount of plastic film I accumulate that way is insignificant.
For a while I was saving it up and putting it in Aldi's recycling bin, but they removed it.
My local Tesco Metro seems to have installed one now, but I rarely shop there...

A little further away from me than my nearest Tesco there is a fruiterer/greengrocer that operates a bit like a wholesaler. I haven't been there, because I just don't buy veg in the quantities that would warrant a specific visit, but it sounds to me like it might be worth researching if there's something similar in your neck of the woods, gentlegreen.

I am sure you would not be offended at the suggestion that you probably aren't the "typical" supermarket customer - quite the contrary, I suspect - so you're probably always going to be something of an outlier when it comes to national strategies on issues like this! If they were basing strategy on the way you buy vegetables, I suspect that it wouldn't go all that well...

A little further away from me than my nearest Tesco there is a fruiterer/greengrocer that operates a bit like a wholesaler. I haven't been there, because I just don't buy veg in the quantities that would warrant a specific visit, but it sounds to me like it might be worth researching if there's something similar in your neck of the woods, gentlegreen.

I am sure you would not be offended at the suggestion that you probably aren't the "typical" supermarket customer - quite the contrary, I suspect - so you're probably always going to be something of an outlier when it comes to national strategies on issues like this! If they were basing strategy on the way you buy vegetables, I suspect that it wouldn't go all that well...
They repeatedly tried to run a greengrocer locally, but given the population density and two supermarkets it was always doomed - and I for one only shopped there once or twice because they had unusual things...
At this point in my life, food shopping is something I want to get over with quickly - my ultimate hope is to grow most of my own veggies...

Good, now the local Tesco will have to sell me a single lemon when I want one as opposed to a prepackaged bag of five of the buggers.
Some larger stores sell single lemons.

I’ll be happy to be able to buy loose mushrooms. Our store doesn’t sell them and I don’t need a whole punnet when I’m the only person who likes them on my pizza.

My typical mushroom shop :-
Very nutritious, but I might not have started eating so many if these weren't so cheap...
:D

shrrroomies.jpg

I’m amazed how much our food waste has gone down now we shop mainly at the market and almost never buy pre packed veg. They are big here in Portugal on pre packed mixed salads but that’s about it. I’m shocked when I go into one of the French supermarkets here and see how much pre packed stuff they have, mainly in the bio section

Back
Top Bottom