Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chips in the freezer or no chips in the freezer house?

Daddy or chips?

• Chips always available in the freezer

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Chips usually available

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Chips sometimes available

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • No-chips zone in our freezer

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Only sweet potato skin-on fries, daaaahling

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I don't remember having frozen chips when I was growing up. Mum used to make them by hand and do them in a chip fryer on the hob.

Later on, my parents did get into frozen chips and had a deep fat fryer. Their Saturday night treat was steak & chips and a glass of wine :)

I keep frozen chips in the freezer and have a deep fat fryer which gets used maybe once a fortnight. I've never liked oven chips and although I now have an air fryer, I still haven't found a brand which matches the taste of proper chips. :D

Not sure if you could buy frozen here even if you wanted to, but anyway, we make from fresh spuds whenever we do have chips, which is every now and then, usually a bit of a run when we have a pan full of oil. That usually requires an occasion, like getting a load of kid's classmates round for pizza and chips, then the oil gets used for stir-frying bit by bit.

Nearly always chips in the freezer. We don't eat them to an unhealthy level though.

It is definitely a PFWC/middle class/hippy divide. Known so many people who echew chips but treat pasta as healthy, and yeah, nah.

Growing up = no chips in the freezer. They were only ever made from potatoes dipped in hot fat.

Now = always chips in the freezer. I'm scared of deep frying.

Boyfriend has a proper deep fryer, mum and dad used a pan and basket. Mum had a proper chip pan inferno when I was about 6. Delicious but so scary.

Never ever going to use a deep pan fryer for anything (for good reasons, as I've mentioned before). They are risky. Some advances have made them less risky, but they're not worth it.

1. Have chips at home v rarely but when I do, Fries To Go are the way to go.

2. Does everyone (except me) own an airfryer? :hmm:

Yeah, me neither. Haven't looked into them because we really do not have the space.

Reactions: Sue
Theres quite a lot right now, well there is in the freezer at mums. You get a shit ton of chips at the chippy here in Yorkshire, I can never eat them all. If you cool then freeze chip shop chips they air fry amazingly well straight from the freezer - I’d say they taste even better, so all the chips in the freezer are from the chippy.

Growing up, had oven chips in the freezer.

Now I generally cook extra roast potatoes or potato wedges and freeze them. Can be used like oven chips.

I love chips especially skinny salted fries. Don’t always have in like now but that’s because I ate them all!

I usually have potato waffles in which must be Birdseye & for a while there I was buying hash browns too but that phase has passed for a bit.

Nearly always chips in the freezer. We don't eat them to an unhealthy level though.

It is definitely a PFWC/middle class/hippy divide. Known so many people who echew chips but treat pasta as healthy, and yeah, nah.

Never ever going to use a deep pan fryer for anything (for good reasons, as I've mentioned before). They are risky. Some advances have made them less risky, but they're not worth it.
The way I sniff out a working class / middle class childhood (of a middle aged person anyway) is to wax lyrical about the unique flavour of the tinned potato. The looks of horror.

The way I sniff out a working class / middle class childhood (of a middle aged person anyway) is to wax lyrical about the unique flavour of the tinned potato. The looks of horror.
We used to take tinned potatoes on self-catering holidays but never had them otherwise. had completely forgotten until you mentioned but they did have a really pleasant creamy taste.

Chip pan gang growing up here too and I'm now always chips in the freezer gang. I don't think I eat them too much BUT my waistline would disagree with that :D

No airfryer here!
same

my mum made great chips and so did my nan
My great nan sold chips out of her kitchen and apparently maids would come and get them in a bowl! Although this puzzles me cos it was in Widnes and I really can't see there being many grand houses round there!
My nan always told me off for not peeling potatoes thinly enough (she'd had to do the potatoes for the home chip shop)

I love chips and would eat them every day but try not to

Apparently they are quite nice if you drain them, pat them dry, toss them in salt and a little oil, and then cook them in an air fryer.
(No, not joking, actually read this recently on a things to do with your airfryer on a budget web page and it could become all the rage).

same

my mum made great chips and so did my nan
My great nan sold chips out of her kitchen and apparently maids would come and get them in a bowl! Although this puzzles me cos it was in Widnes and I really can't see there being many grand houses round there!
My nan always told me off for not peeling potatoes thinly enough (she'd had to do the potatoes for the home chip shop)

I love chips and would eat them every day but try not to
I think back in the day of open fires, oil lamps and hand washing clothes even very lower middle class houses would have had a maid or similar.

Back
Top Bottom