Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Chips in the freezer or no chips in the freezer house?

Daddy or chips?

• Chips always available in the freezer

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Chips usually available

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Chips sometimes available

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • No-chips zone in our freezer

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Only sweet potato skin-on fries, daaaahling

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
The way I sniff out a working class / middle class childhood (of a middle aged person anyway) is to wax lyrical about the unique flavour of the tinned potato. The looks of horror.
Never had them growing up but as a family of 6 it was far cheaper for my parents to buy a sack of potatoes.

Reactions: Sue
I sometimes have chips in the freezer - this is usually because I've decided I'm going to have some beers on a weekend eve and I can't be arsed, but neither can I afford the only takeaway round here (which is an Indian).

Otherwise, chips are made from potatoes, as God intended(air fryer nowadays though).
I definitely grew up in a "chip pan" house. Me and my dad used to make chips after we got in from the pub (often him, village, me town) on a Friday night. I assume we got away with it because mum was asleep. I can't believe that shed let two drunk people operate a chip pan if awake.

One night, I decided I was staying in town and going to the local shit nightclub and dad decided he would make chips without me. He managed to cut a gash in his palm peeling the potatoes, and yet, in spite of this made chips and went to bed.
In the morning I learned that this was somehow my fault for not arriving home as he'd assumed and I got roundly blamed (by him, mum and my brother also thought he was being a knob) for it, to the extent that he moaned at me for the shampoo stinging his hand meaning he'd had trouble washing his hair.......:confused::D

The way I sniff out a working class / middle class childhood (of a middle aged person anyway) is to wax lyrical about the unique flavour of the tinned potato. The looks of horror.
We only ever had the as a quick tea/when camping boiled up with tinned steak and gravy or chunky chicken on them, weren't they a bit pricier than actual spuds?

I don't recall ever having tinned potatoes at home growing up (80s-> 90s). I have had them as an adult and I do not like that 'creamy' flavour if that is what it is 🤮

We never had frozen chips when I was a nipper. Not sure they'd been invented, and even if they had been, my mother wouldn't have used them. We used to have a proper chip pan with a wire basket and three inches of beef dripping permanently in the bottom.
We sometimes have a bag of spicy frozen chips in the freezer, but we are both avoiding carbs at the moment so it's been a while.

Never in the freezer when growing up. My mum used to cook them from scratch with a deep fat fryer. The next door neighbours had oven chips. I coveted theirs, and their kids coveted ours. :D

Always in the freezer now as part “freezer feed Friday”. Also got the poncy sweet potato variety too as most regular oven chips have gluten in the coating :mad:

Used to launch a tray of em into the oven most evenings as a student. Didn't bother with them for a few years until I got an air fryer, the 'Specially Selected' ones from Aldi come out very nicely.

At first my mum used to make chips from scratch and then oven chips were invented. After that she bought chips, they went in freezer, then we all had chips one day and there was none in freezer till she went shopping again. I assume. never really checked.

For me - i usually have chips in freezer but today i have none. My next shopping is delivered tomorrow and i will still have none. When the urge takes me i will buy more and then there will be chips in my freezer again.

I only every eat them with fish from the chippie. And even then, they give you too many.
Struggling to think what I’d eat them with at home.

Chips, mash and jacket potatoes always in the freezer.
Sometimes also potato waffles or sweet potato fries.

One child is a pain to feed so we always have a fussy eater option of freezer food available because I can't be bothered cooking two meals, or not eating nice stuff myself.

No chips in the freezer as a child but my mum did cut chips using the chip pan every Saturday night. Then we changed and had chippy chips on the way home from mass on a Saturday evening.

These days I normally have a bag of crinkle cut chips in the freezer. This is because I coveted lots of things like Mr Frosty, Hungry Hippos, french fancies and crinkle cut chips as a kid and was never allowed them. :oops:

As a kid we did have a chip pan but also had oven chips. I suspect we had a lot of oven chips but can’t really remember.

Now, we would sometimes have a bag or the scraps of one because my husband doesn’t know how to measure portions so we’re not wasting them by leaving 10 chips in a bag. We probably buy a bag once a month ish because they’re handy for quick oven or air fryer dinners.

At the moment we also have a random bag of cheesy hash browns that Mr Looby accidentally bought. What the hell do I do with those? I’m thinking just having them with beans.

Last year I moved into this place where there is room for a full size freezer. I mean the double-decker situation. My last flat there was undercounter fridge and I had a desk, countertop freezer. I mean it wasn’t on my desk I’m not a maniac. Anyway I digress. With the new freezing opportunity, icy realestate, I thought yes I can finally have frozen potato products. amongst other things. frozen skinny chips, what a delight they were. Until I finished that bag and completely forgot about it. So yeah to summarise I can’t really be arsed I like chips but not enough. I have two bags of spinach in the freezer. I’m not even that into spinach.

I would never have a deep fat fryer. The potential for disaster is too much. The risk, ratio benefit is way off. I’ve heard the stats. we had home-cooked chips as a kid. which was good. But I know my limitations. I know what I’m like. Drunk cooking, death, statistic.

Back
Top Bottom