Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best can opener ?

I open one or two cans every day and I've just worn out yet another opener - not sure what I paid for the fancy one perhaps a year ago, but all they had this time was the cheapest kind with a "plough" rather than a cutting wheel - a type I haven't used for many years ...

View attachment 421213

I suppose 3 months isn't too bad ... :hmm:
Luckily it incorporates a backup option ...

PXL_20240722_160053475.jpg

As sad as it is, I've been looking for a good tin opener for ages. I stumbled on this fella's channel a while back and ended up watching this 20 minute video on tin opener history and mechanics. I now want one of these.

I have one of these (bought it on the back of the Technology Connections vid). I'm still getting the hang of it, but initial indications are promising.

Not cheap tins of chickpeas alas. :(

I bought one of these recently. It's a revelation after my last one (which tbf was v cheap and 10 years old).

I think mine is from them - I bought it in the homeware shop at Saltaire Mill about 15 years ago, still going strong. To be fair I don't have to use it that often as its common to find tins with ring pulls nowadays. I've still got the mezzaluna I bought there too - only used that a few times but it is a nice looking knife, handy for zombie invasions.

I'd recommend Brabantia. This is mine. I've had it since 1976 and it still works perfectly.

1000000926.jpg

I bought it using the Green Shield stamps I'd saved up during the three years I was at the LCP. Bought from the GS store at the Elephant & Castle shopping centre as part of a set that included a peeler, apple corer, kitchen scissors, garlic press and a universal opener. It took all the stamps I'd saved up, but I think it was worth it.

1000000928.jpg

The garlic press got lost in a move.

E2A: Current version: Can Opener with Metal Handle - Essential Line

Last edited:
Sadly another "pound shop" opener ...
The old-school ones have been replaced with these ...
It's not clear whether the recycling info is for the opener or just the cardboard ...

openerrrrr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom