Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opening Fxxxing Paint tins

My opinion as a one-time professional is that Dulux is usually the best option.
Not that it is applicable in this case, but Farrow & Ball is touted as the high end paint of choice for those with more money than sense, but there's nothing particularly spectacular about it other than the price tag and the somewhat amusing colour names.
Cheaper paints tend to not give as good a finish or not be as hard wearing.
Dulux are kind of the sweet spot in terms of quality & cost.
And you can open their tins with a flathead screwdriver or a paint tin opening tool.

Get a jigsaw/reciprocating saw and cut the inside of the lid out. Probably get plastic fragments in your paint though.
How quickly will you use up the tin? Cos you could just stab through the plastic lid and cut a hole for getting the paint out, then tightly wrap the tin up in several layers of thick plastic bags to keep it from drying out.
Can opener :thumbs:

Bugger it up with a can opener and then take it back to B&Q
Lift and pry the plastic surround off first (with a set of pliers) then open the now-revealed lid as usual.
Never seen a Valspar version.
Maybe a Mr.Bean approach would help. Just drill a hole in the lid and drop in an explosive charge. :D
That all sounds very messy!

Last time I was in Wickes I bought a tool for opening tins of paint, and I've never looked back.
Why would anyone design a container that needs a special tool? When paint containers have for decades been opened ok with ordinary tools or cutlery. Stupid design!

I've been using the same large screwdriver to open paint and stir for thirty plus years. I refuse to buy a £2 thing that is useless for anything else.

Why would anyone design a container that needs a special tool? When paint containers have for decades been opened ok with ordinary tools or cutlery. Stupid design!

I've been using the same large screwdriver to open paint and stir for thirty plus years. I refuse to buy a £2 thing that is useless for anything else.
I understand your frustration!
As someone who worked as a painter for a while, I got a paint tin opener keyring and it was brilliant - but I spent several months opening paint tins many times a day so it made sense.
Not so much so in terms of DIY - you want to be able to open tins of paint with whatever you have to hand without breaking anything

One of the stupid things, imo, is that the water-based paints really don't need that level of security to prevent spills ... if you get a colour mixed to spec, to take home, the tin doesn't get one of those fancy seals.

Perhaps "someone" has over-reacted because "someone else" managed to spill paint in their car and then sued ???

One of the stupid things, imo, is that the water-based paints really don't need that level of security to prevent spills ... if you get a colour mixed to spec, to take home, the tin doesn't get one of those fancy seals.

Perhaps "someone" has over-reacted because "someone else" managed to spill paint in their car and then sued ???
There are plenty of spillage opportunities between manufacture and purchase.

Painting all done. It was fairly hard getting the lid back on, it needed a hammer all round. There's some paint left should I need to redo anything when kitchen units are all in. At least I know not to try opening it on my own now. My thumbs still ache.

I will never ever buy Valspar paint again in those impossible containets.

There's usually a tag on plastic paint tubs. Once this is removed you can get the top off by prying it by hand, they'll not open till that tag is removed. In my experience anyway.

I was rummaging through some tins of paint left by the old owners to paint over some missing spots on my wall.

The tin is both sealed better than something in the Necronomicon but the tins also made of wet paper so trying to force the lid open led to a few frustrating moments when it looked like the rims of the lid would just rip off totally when trying to force it.

There's usually a tag on plastic paint tubs. Once this is removed you can get the top off by prying it by hand, they'll not open till that tag is removed. In my experience anyway.
As I relied to WouldBe on the last page...
No tab to break off, so it maybe it was a different style of lid you had. This lid was solid enough not to yield much at all. Or you must have thumbs of steel.

Back
Top Bottom