Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The best frozen vegetables?

I freeze parsley all the time and have never gone to those lengths - I buy a large bunch, remove any rubber bands or other packaging, rinse it, put it in a clean bag and stick it in the freezer. Once frozen and when I want to take some from the bag for the first time I get the bag of frozen parsley out and bash it a few times with my hand - it breaks up into small bits - don't even need to chop it before freezing :D
Parsley has always tasted to me like the devil’s cat came along and pissed on it so it doesn’t get used here but I can recommend the same method for coriander.

I freeze parsley all the time and have never gone to those lengths - I buy a large bunch, remove any rubber bands or other packaging, rinse it, put it in a clean bag and stick it in the freezer. Once frozen and when I want to take some from the bag for the first time I get the bag of frozen parsley out and bash it a few times with my hand - it breaks up into small bits - don't even need to chop it before freezing :D
I do that with coriander.
I tried it once with basil. Not a good plan. I suppose that's why pesto is a thing.

Edit - Oops. I see you made the same point, Spymaster
I should read the thread to the end. :oops:

I had too many onions and since frozen chopped onions is a thing, I decided to do my own. Bloody hell that was a good idea. I now keep a big bag of chopped onion in the freezer and I just grab a couple of handfuls and lob them into the hearing oil when I want to start cooking. I feel like celebrating every time.

Of course it still needs the investment of chopping loads of onions and freezing them in a baking tray and then transferring them to a freezer bag. But then it’s done.

I keep fresh ginger and turmeric in the freezer and neither of those suffer from the effects.

Peas are the only thing that retain their integrity.

I do use frozen spinach a lot though, in curries and pasta sauces. Am never without a bag.

Yep, these are great. I pop a couple in a frying pan, pop the lid on to steam them then have them with fried or scrambled eggs and tomato for breakfast :thumbs:

Otherwise, apart from peas, I buy frozen edamame beans and sweetcorn (kernals and small cobs).

Been wondering about frozen butternut squash as I do like it but hate peeling and chopping it!
Don't peal butternut. It's much nicer skin on

Back
Top Bottom