Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v Germany - Tuesday 29/06 - 17:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Saka has played as a full back before. Maybe it's 4-4-2 with 3 right backs really.
I was (genuinely) about to post that it's great this fixture isn't attracting tedious wartime shite, for example the Mirror's headline at Euro 96. Then I saw this and couldn't stop my brain thinking 'Maginot Line'. :oops:

Can someone tell my brain to stfu? :facepalm:

True. Should consider all the relevant games

So...

England: pld 3 w 2 d 1 l 0 including defeating one of the quarter-finalists and one beaten rd 16, draw with the team eliminated in the group

Germany: pld 3 w 1 d 1 l 1 including defeating one beaten rd 16 and defeat to one beaten rd 16, draw with the team eliminated in the group

Germany may well win, but the idea that it's England who've been lacklustre in this tournament just doesn't make sense.
Ok, but this is the thing, I don't think you can compare the two records so quantitatively like that. A group of Portugal, France and Hungary is just a fundamentally different challenge to a group of Scotland, Croatia, and Czech Republic.

Likewise, most teams can win individual games, but we can't assess the general merits of either team based on those single outcomes.

Form is a thing, absolutely, but let's not pretend that Czech Republic are better than Portugal or France because the former made it through to their QF and the latter didn't. That just doesn't make sense.

That's tournament football. Greece didn't win the Euros in 2004 by being the 'best' team, they just came out better in each individual game.
Sure, but before each of those games, how many people were expecting them to win? People weren't expecting that in the final, by which time they'd already won a bunch of other matches.

England might win, Germany might win. My issue is with people comparing their respective records as if they've faced remotely the same challenges in terms of the teams they've played.

Sure, but before each of those games, how many people were expecting them to win? People weren't expecting that in the final, by which time they'd already won a bunch of other matches.

England might win, Germany might win. My issue is with people comparing their respective records as if they've faced remotely the same challenges in terms of the teams they've played.
England didn't have to face the mighty Hungary at home, it's true.

There's a bit of a common thread here, though, which is a certain tendency always to talk down England results. 1-0 against Croatia and the Czechs were excellent results. And the Czechs have been a surprise package. They beat Scotland with a good performance and beating the Dutch was no fluke. They're better than many of us expected them to be. (As were Hungary tbf, and Austria - there has been a revival of old Central European footballing powers.)

last nights efforts were so entertaining it's gonna be a hard act to follow. Perhaps they need bigger goals for when england play, just to liven it up a bit

Back
Top Bottom