Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v Germany - Tuesday 29/06 - 17:00

Predictions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yep. The keeper does well - stays big and closes the angles so maybe if he'd got it right inside the post, he'd have scored from there, but only if it was pinpoint accurate. He was off but not by miles. Alternative was to take it on further, which of course would have presented its own difficulties.
Aye, he had three defenders around him after sprinting for... I dunno, some distance.

The shot from behind Muller did make it seem like there was a lot more of the goal to Pickford's right (Muller's left) than I first thought, but maybe that's also just camera angles 'n' stuff.

2nd division? reads like post-match hindsight revisionism to me
england won the match but before the goal germany had the best chances and the scoreline couldve easily gone either way

Also what else were Germany supposed to do at that point? It was the final minute, they were losing and England had a back 10 and Pickford, were they supposed to knock it around till a gap opened?

It was a bit of an ignominious end for Low but that happens a lot in sport. I agree that article is a bit harsh.

england won the match but before the goal germany had the best chances and the scoreline couldve easily gone either way
Yeah, this is the sort of thing that frustrates me, when analysis of matches seems so much more definitive than the match itself seemed to be.

Havertz had a couple really good chances, and we arguably have at least two or three very good Pickford saves to thank for that clean sheet.

Obviously that's what goalkeeper's are there for, and good teams are going to get shots on target against you, but there were a couple of times where it felt more defensive error than attacking guile that led to the chances, and one in particular where our defenders looked like they were chasing shadows.

Which, for the record is not to say England were awful, got through purely by luck and will soon be demolished, just that it also wasn't a performance that was completely competent or free from some pretty large errors.

It was a bit of an ignominious end for Low but that happens a lot in sport. I agree that article is a bit harsh.
All a side note, but it is a shame just how many managers' (and players', arguably) careers are impacted by how they ended.

The one that comes immediately to mind in that respect is Wenger. He is still recognised for all that he did, but the mood of his final years at Arsenal really seems to cast a shadow on his successes.

Yeah, this is the sort of thing that frustrates me, when analysis of matches seems so much more definitive than the match itself seemed to be.

Havertz had a couple really good chances, and we arguably have at least two or three very good Pickford saves to thank for that clean sheet.

Obviously that's what goalkeeper's are there for, and good teams are going to get shots on target against you, but there were a couple of times where it felt more defensive error than attacking guile that led to the chances, and one in particular where our defenders looked like they were chasing shadows.

Which, for the record is not to say England were awful, got through purely by luck and will soon be demolished, just that it also wasn't a performance that was completely competent or free from some pretty large errors.
Also, Neuer made his save from Sterling's shot in the first half look much easier than I think many keepers would have done. He anticipates brilliantly early and is light on his feet. I think Sterling would have scored with that shot against a few of the keepers in this tournament.

But yeah, you're allowed to have a good keeper!

That was a tough watch. Grealish has to start the next game. Kane was deadweight for most of it. Calvert-Lewin must be on the bench next time.

The positive vibes lasted long then 😂

I'm not sure it is post-match revisionism anyway. Honigstein is an excellent German journalist, and is absolutely on the money - seeing Germany's desperation in those final few minutes reminded me of Shrewsbury Town vs Bristol Rovers at Wembley in the League Two play-off final in 2006/07.

All a side note, but it is a shame just how many managers' (and players', arguably) careers are impacted by how they ended.

The one that comes immediately to mind in that respect is Wenger. He is still recognised for all that he did, but the mood of his final years at Arsenal really seems to cast a shadow on his successes.

Greatest PL era manager of the lot, IMO, and that's coming from a Spurs fan.

I think England performed much better in the 1990 and 1996 matches, but were up against better german teams (germany went on to win the tournament in both cases). Southgate got his tactics pretty much spot on though. It may well be that a more attacking approach, better utilising England's wealth of talented forwards, would have produced the same result - but we can never know. But four clean sheets and a place in the q-final having defeated Germany speaks for itself.
England should defeat ukraine - but should definitely beware Denmark if they meet in the semis.

I'm not sure it is post-match revisionism anyway. Honigstein is an excellent German journalist, and is absolutely on the money - seeing Germany's desperation in those final few minutes reminded me of Shrewsbury Town vs Bristol Rovers at Wembley in the League Two play-off final in 2006/07.
Honigstein is an excellent journalist, absolutely, and I've said that many times elsewhere.

But, as the fine film Inside Out taught us, it is possible to have more than one feeling at a time about something. It doesn't all have to be binary "Everything's all positive and brilliant!!" or "Everything's all negative and awful!!".

There can be positives and negatives...

Another case of armchair commentators nonsense, Wenger did way better with that team than his replacement

Also what else were Germany supposed to do at that point? It was the final minute, they were losing and England had a back 10 and Pickford, were they supposed to knock it around till a gap opened?

It’s one tactic hoping to get a knock down for a shot , possible penalty etc but it’s not the only tactic in trying to break what was an 8-10 player defence . I think the point he is making is that is what Germany were reduced to in the last 10 mins . And yes there were fine margins in the game and at times it could have gone either way but not by knocking hopeful long balls into a packed defence .

Re England clean sheet: Pickford is a great keeper, was brilliant yesterday.
I also enjoyed McGuires passion, shame he got a card, was unjustified iirc.
When do cards reset?

Of course goalies in the prem never come up for desperate last minute headers

It’s one tactic hoping to get a knock down for a shot , possible penalty etc but it’s not the only tactic in trying to break what was an 8-10 player defence . I think the point he is making is that is what Germany were reduced to in the last 10 mins . And yes there were fine margins in the game and at times it could have gone either way but not by knocking hopeful long balls into a packed defence .
They were two nil down in they last ten minutes... Utterly defeated by that point

Honigstein is an excellent journalist, absolutely, and I've said that many times elsewhere.

But, as the fine film Inside Out taught us, it is possible to have more than one feeling at a time about something. It doesn't all have to be binary "Everything's all positive and brilliant!!" or "Everything's all negative and awful!!".

There can be positives and negatives...
It's not post match revisionism to state that Germany were reduced to desperate measures, the kind of which you often see in lower league football because England had closed down the game so skillfully, which I guess is what I was really commenting on.

They were two nil down in they last ten minutes... Utterly defeated by that point
2-0 down after missing the best opportunity to equalise when it was 1-0 and yes mentally staring defeat in the face , half acknoledging that they were beaten but going through the motions in the vague hope that something might come off.I think Havertz had a half chance near the end.

and how arsenal have prospered since he was forced out :rolleyes: the wenger-out crew should hang their heads in shame.

The Wenger Out memes were bloody excellent, but all that talk that there was someone better in the wings was morons being morons (AFTV, I'm looking at you).

Anyway, I digress...
He would have done better if he had not had to sell his best players to pay for the new stadium.

Back
Top Bottom