Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England local election results thread

Why not? the papers do like to cause mischief and they don't seem particularly enamoured of the 'old guard' these days.
Because the potential ramifications of a you are all illegitimate campaign (and one based around anti-EU which big capital likes) are far beyond what they find acceptable. At best they can use it to discipline labour and the tories, at worst it escapes their control and ends up attacking what they are there to protect.

Yep, that will not be happening in 2015. No chance. Too dangerous.

I'm not so sure, Murdoch is still smarting from Leveson, UKIP is playing the same role as the Tea Party did in the US with Murdoch's papers playing the role of Fox News.

I'm not so sure, Murdoch is still smarting from Leveson, UKIP is playing the same role as the Tea Party did in the US with Murdoch's papers playing the role of Fox News.
No chance. He will publicly toy with them now to gain leverage but that's it - and only over specific issues. He's not that stupid. I think the UKIP/TP comparison is way off as well.

One good thing for Labour, there's no chance of TV debates now. None at all. With a bit of luck Ed's strange face and strange voice can be hidden away from the electorate until it's too late.

Because the TP was a hastily constructed Potemkin party based around opposition largely to one single measure - UKIP have been around for near 3 decades now, steadlily building up support and electoral performances. They might be liked by the media, but they are not a media event which was all the TP proved to be in the end. And it only existed within the orbit of republican-electoralism - whereas UKIP are challenging the tories from without.

(...) the EU which big capital likes.

I wonder if, given the likely UKIP gains at the Euro elections, and maybe gains for other far-right parties in other countries, that the emergence of a strongly libertarian/more transparently corporate-owned EU would be a 'long game' for big capital, and would eventually lead to an anti-EU consensus amongst the left? The tories/UKIP only hate the EU because it is more lefty that they'd like the UK to be. If it pushed the other way, against minimum wages, workers' rights, state ownership, corporate taxation and so on, they'd be enthusiastic supporters. I don't think euroscepticism is an idealistic position about nationality & accountability, more down to the flavour of euro-government we currently have.

(and yes, I know it is already strongly neo-liberal and pushing things like break-up of the post office - but that's not the perception - it's all those 'uman rights, windmills and bananas that the public latch on to).

I wonder if, given the likely UKIP gains at the Euro elections, and maybe gains for other far-right parties in other countries, that the emergence of a strongly libertarian/more transparently corporate-owned EU would be a 'long game' for big capital, and would eventually lead to an anti-EU consensus amongst the left?
Maybe for some wingnut capitalists, but based on the last five shocking years capital desperately needs the state interventions that strong EU institutions can deliver.

I wonder if, given the likely UKIP gains at the Euro elections, and maybe gains for other far-right parties in other countries, that the emergence of a strongly libertarian/more transparently corporate-owned EU would be a 'long game' for big capital, and would eventually lead to an anti-EU consensus amongst the left? The tories/UKIP only hate the EU because it is more lefty that they'd like the UK to be. If it pushed the other way, against minimum wages, workers' rights, state ownership, corporate taxation and so on, they'd be enthusiastic supporters. I don't think euroscepticism is an idealistic position about nationality & accountability, more down to the flavour of euro-government we currently have.

(and yes, I know it is already strongly neo-liberal and pushing things like break-up of the post office - but that's not the perception - it's all those 'uman rights, windmills and bananas that the public latch on to).
I really don't think so - the political/capital nexus that runs these things know such wages-cutting strategy can only come through active state intervention (this, in fact, is the medium-long term plan). They have even wrote this stuff into the constitution. A sort of UKIP style EU is impossible i think.

Dunno, presume so

Hertfordshire:
Conservative hold
New council: C 46 (-8); LD 16 (-1); Lab 15 (+12); G 0 (-1); Ind 0 (-1); Eng Dem 0 (-1)
Hertforshire is traditionally a strong Tory area (home counties, suburban, m/class, well-heeled), with a strong LD challenge, and with isolated pockets offering possibilities for Labour (stevenage etc).
All told, that is a bloody good result for Labour.

Why not? the papers do like to cause mischief and they don't seem particularly enamoured of the 'old guard' these days.
Because their overlords in their boardroom will be too shitscared of british politics spinning off into the realms of utter unpredictability and rejection of the mainstream, and will be desperate to herd people back into their traditional; corrals. Especially the Tory ones.

Lib Dems nine down in Bristol now, just lost the former deputy leader of the council to Labour by one vote

The kipper that said homosexuality can be cured through exercise has been elected

Hertforshire is traditionally a strong Tory area (home counties, suburban, m/class, well-heeled), with a strong LD challenge, and with isolated pockets offering possibilities for Labour (stevenage etc).
All told, that is a bloody good result for Labour.

get a lot of Arsenal supporters from there as well

Warwickshire (my area) results:

Tory loss to NOC.

Tory 26, Lab 22, LD 9, Green 2, Ind 3

In 2009 it was:

Tory 39, Lab 10, LD 12, Others 1.

Labour are back to where they were here before the 2009 disaster.

lib-dems holding some of their seats in Surrey.

Including Epsom West, where the result was Lib Dem, then residents association, then labour, then UKIP then tory. :hmm:

Because the TP was a hastily constructed Potemkin party based around opposition largely to one single measure - UKIP have been around for near 3 decades now, steadlily building up support and electoral performances. They might be liked by the media, but they are not a media event which was all the TP proved to be in the end. And it only existed within the orbit of republican-electoralism - whereas UKIP are challenging the tories from without.

I wasn't fully referring to the party's position in electoral politics, I think that there were some vague attempts to create a TP-like party in the Tory party but they met with little success. UKIP have been around for a long while but their current success is unprecedented and I think that success can be put down at least in part to constant and more often than not positive media coverage. I don't think this is totally a media event but it's certainly an event that would not have been possible without the positive media coverage that UKIP has received. I'm not sure you can say that the TP was/is only a media event, there are a lot of TP aligned elected Republican representatives.

The utopian right-wing populist policies of UKIP are remarkably similar to the TP.

BTW, I think it's also worth considering Murdoch's support for Alex Salmond. He's not happy with Cameron.

UKIP have come 2nd and 3rd in the last two euro-elections. This result is not unprecedented really.

And that's the difference - the TP could only result in TP aligned elected Republican representatives., UKIP can only result in the loss of tory seats. The actual policies are not what counts right now, but what they represent - and the TP was (and i mean was, it's dead) an explicitly right-wing response to a single policy, UKIP is a representation of a general you're all thieves and can get to fuck type view

The UK attempt at a 'Tea Party' movement comes in the form of the Taxpayer's Alliance - and although they haven't managed to reach out directly to the 'man on the streets' (the 'March for Cuts' was laughable) they do have the ear of the media across the country, willingly and uncritically regurgitating their press releases every day, able to set out their agenda unchallenged.

Back
Top Bottom