Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ecuador would like Julian Assange out of their embassy by the sounds of it.

I dislike Assange and his politics and I'm not that keen on those who accord him with messiah status. Same time, this looks like a bit of petty revenge from the British state, even if entirely expected. For me the real issue is if he ever goes to Sweden.

Always the case though isn't it? Fuck with the justice system and they throw the book at you. Still, its hard to think of a worse case of skipping bail, at least your common crook will high tail it to Spain or Brazil. He just hid is plain sight sticking two fingers up. He was always going to get close to the maximum sentence.

I dislike Assange and his politics and I'm not that keen on those who accord him with messiah status. Same time, this looks like a bit of petty revenge from the British state, even if entirely expected. For me the real issue is if he ever goes to Sweden.

Petty revenge?

He broke the law by breaching his bail conditions, costing taxpayers about £16m, he's frankly lucky to only have got 50 rather 52 weeks. :D

Besides he needs to be kept under lock & key pending whatever extradition hearings are to come, otherwise he could just skip bail again.

Always the case though isn't it? Fuck with the justice system and they throw the book at you. Still, its hard to think of a worse case of skipping bail, at least your common crook will high tail it to Spain or Brazil. He just hid is plain sight sticking two fingers up. He was always going to get close to the maximum sentence.
Yeah, I don't care about Assange, it's just the British state is doing him for jumping bail in a case that is no longer live (though, of course, it was him jumping bail that stopped the Swedish case progressing). I'm commenting on no more than the huffing and puffing the judge was doing and the inclination to defend the British justice system. As I say, my view is that he should have ended up in a Swedish court. All this is a 7 year sideshow.

Yeah, I don't care about Assange, it's just the British state is doing him for jumping bail in a case that is no longer live (though, of course, it was him jumping bail that stopped the Swedish case progressing). I'm commenting on no more than the huffing and puffing the judge was doing and the inclination to defend the British justice system. As I say, my view is that he should have ended up in a Swedish court. All this is a 7 year sideshow.
She didn't huff and puff today. Are you referring to the previous judge who remanded him? He certainly told him what he thought of him but nothing less than the truth. And the Swedes haven't requested his extradition so that's on them. Hopefully they'll get their shit together in the next 6 or so months so that'll be his next appointment. Otherwise let him serve his sentence then pack the conceited wanker off to Nine Elms.

Last edited:
She didn't huff and puff today. Are you referring to the previous judge who remanded him? He certainly told him what he thought of him but nothing less than the truth. And the Swedes haven't requested his extradition so that's on them. Hopefully they'll get their shit together in the next 6 months or so months so that'll be his next appointment. Otherwise let him serve his sentence then pack the conceited wanker off to Nine Elms.
Well, there may be an irony in all this. If the Swedes don't put in a further request, his jaunt in the embassy might leave the American's first in the queue when it comes to extradition.

This may come down to whatever weirdo ends up as Home Secretary in the post-Theresa May government.

I doubt Sweden will ask for his extradition now. Based on little chance of successful prosecution, after all this time. Then leaving them lumbered with him, or the bad publicity of sending him on to the US.

This may come down to whatever weirdo ends up as Home Secretary in the post-Theresa May government.

I'm not sure there's a significant 'pro-Assange' element of the Tory party to appease or curry favour with. As long as the Septics say that they won't string him up he stands no chance.

Just out of idle curiosity, can anyone remember what sort of sentence he could have expected if found guilty on the original Swedish charges?

I'm not sure there's a significant 'pro-Assange' element of the Tory party to appease or curry favour with. As long as the Septics say that they won't string him up he stands no chance.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking really - and all at the point in time when we will be seeking a trade deal with the USA.

apparently the prison officers took one look at his cell the second day he was inside and thought he'd gone on dirty protest. they were not relieved to find out that the daubing of shit on walls wasn't in fact a protest but his preferred environment.
Still, should deter some of the more persistent from trying bond over their shared interest of 'being a bit rapey'

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom