Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

We've been rewatching some of Catherine Tate's series so this weekend's special will make sense for our daughter, and it's really chock full of clever ideas. The Silence in the Library two-parter has four or five individual ideas that could sustain a whole story. Midnight and Turn Left also feel like a million miles away from anything that recent Who would have done.
Ok, on the other hand, it's tough making sense of the plot of the finale for any viewer who hasn't watched every episode since the start of Ecclestone plus all the Torchwood and Sarah Jane bobbins.

I watched about ten minutes. I found some of the music a bit jarring but otherwise enjoyed it. Will hopefully be able to convince my daughter to watch it with me.

Back in the 80s or 90s was not at all into the idea of colourisation of old films but am not so precious about it now and the technology is amazing... hopefully one day get to see this.

Both on iPlayer, but I assume you mean this: An Adventure in Space and Time
No I mean the Dalek one.
I have seen the other one, though I wonder if my daughter might be interested in an adventure in time and space. I think the trouble is that the timeless child REALLY made her lose interest. She was fine with the daft impossible girl clara stuff and a lot of things I thought were a bit shoddy (writing).
I'm willing to ignore all the new stuff, but my daughter grew up with the 'timey whimey' new doctors.
Personally I liked it when he was just a cheeky nobody time lord who nicked a tardis and ran away.

Oh. I have just seen that the 'Star Beast' was actually written as a comic story in the 80s by (2000ad Legend) Pat Mills (drawn by Dave Gibbons of watchman fame) for Baker era who.

This is actually bringing back some vague memories. The name, the look of the aliens and 'Fizgig'

Screenshot 2023-11-24 08.10.16.png

It was the story that was later selected by Marvel to introduce Doctor Who to the american comic market.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 08.14.17.png

I don't know if this ties in with the Disney merge.

Last edited:
Oh. I have just seen that the 'Star Beast' was actually written as a comic story in the 80s by (2000ad Legend) Pat Mills (drawn by Dave Gibbons of watchman fame) for Baker era who.

This is actually bringing back some vague memories. The name, the look of the aliens and 'Fizgig'

View attachment 401346

It was the story that was later selected by Marvel to introduce Doctor Who to the american comic market.

View attachment 401348

Yes, the Doctor will be the one to bring Yoda over to New York to get Ant Man put of a spot of bother.

I only meant that it was a story a very minimal amount of americans might have known from their youth and could be used for press.
Plus it was written by Pat Mills (originally) so it surely can't be that bad.

View attachment 401346

View attachment 401348

Oh god I have vague memories of the fizgig.

Oh god I have vague memories of the fizgig.
I know I picked up one or two doctor who mags, but I wasn't into it. I don't remember any stories, but somehow that star beast (the name) and the first page really rings a bell. . . as does fizgig. Though I might have that mixed up with the dark cystal.

No I mean the Dalek one.
I have seen the other one, though I wonder if my daughter might be interested in an adventure in time and space. I think the trouble is that the timeless child REALLY made her lose interest. She was fine with the daft impossible girl clara stuff and a lot of things I thought were a bit shoddy (writing).
I'm willing to ignore all the new stuff, but my daughter grew up with the 'timey whimey' new doctors.
Personally I liked it when he was just a cheeky nobody time lord who nicked a tardis and ran away.
I think the problem is that by modern standards the action and jeopardy are utterly laughable. The fact that the Daleks may be powered by electricity is brought up as a plot point.

I think the problem is that by modern standards the action and jeopardy are utterly laughable. The fact that the Daleks may be powered by electricity is brought up as a plot point.
It’s charming and fantastic for us old timers, but even I literally laughed out loud (at most of the things it turned out that Keiron Hodgeson parodied in the wonderful spoof that PR1Berske posted above). And I’ve seen it before (in B&W).

I also wondered whether Ian is typical of how men were represented in 60s media, specifically his kind of natural air of capability and stoicism, or is it meant to be a character note? Or is it just bad writing?

I only meant that it was a story a very minimal amount of americans might have known from their youth and could be used for press.
Plus it was written by Pat Mills (originally) so it surely can't be that bad.
I'm with you just a joke at Disney's expense. The only comics I remember were the strips in Doctor Who magazine in the original content void that was my youth.

No, my daughter doesn't care about that and neither do I. It is of it's time and part of the charm.
Doctor who always looked shonky and had some pretty bad scripts, but changing the whole nature of what / who Doctor Who is was perhaps the final straw for my daughter (who is a lot more forgiving than I am).

Did anyone read the comic TV Century 21 in the 1960s? That had Dr Who in it, as well as Thunderbirds, etc.

Back
Top Bottom