Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2023

Did anyone read the comic TV Century 21 in the 1960s? That had Dr Who in it, as well as Thunderbirds, etc.
I have just consulted Wikipedia, and my memory has played me wrong.
The Daleks appeared in TV Century 21, but not the Doctor.
The Dr Who strip was in the other comic that I read, TV Comic.

By the way, did anyone read the comics Fantastic or Terrific?

Did anyone read the comic TV Century 21 in the 1960s? That had Dr Who in it, as well as Thunderbirds, etc.
I would have read copies of this around 70/71...
I don't think they actually had the rights to the Dr Who character..
It was the Daleks that they based the stories on...
edit..
Oh just seen your post!!

I would have read copies of this around 70/71...
I don't think they actually had the rights to the Dr Who character..
It was the Daleks that they based the stories on...
edit..
Oh just seen your post!!
I remember a story about a spaceliner going off course and crashing on a planet that had dinosaurs on it. The dinosaurs were of the long-necked variety, but they had two necks and two heads, which looled logical to me at the time.

I have no great expectations about the "Star Beast" tomorrow. It sounds pretty bad. Which is why, I suppose, the Tate character is in it.

You mean the Tate character who featured in the best season of post-2005 Who? Who was one of the best companions we have ever had?

I'm expecting it to be entertaining but not especially deep or clever - it's a relaunch episode, and no doubt will be big and brash in a very RTD way.

You mean the Tate character who featured in the best season of post-2005 Who? Who was one of the best companions we have ever had?

I'm expecting it to be entertaining but not especially deep or clever - it's a relaunch episode, and no doubt will be big and brash in a very RTD way.
I simply do not like the character, or the person who plays her, very much.

technically the colourisation was very impressive.
but overall, I didn't really like it. editing seven 25 minute episodes into one 75 minute movie would never be an easy task though and in execution some of it just didn't flow well at all.
I'd rather just watch the originals again. I'm not one to binge all episodes in one sitting.

or the Cushing movie in glorious Technicolor. so much colour. they really did go all in on that. it's a visual delight.

Sometimes I forget that Dr Who is a children's programme, but it would be nice if it was not so childish at times.

No I mean the Dalek one.
I have seen the other one, though I wonder if my daughter might be interested in an adventure in time and space. I think the trouble is that the timeless child REALLY made her lose interest. She was fine with the daft impossible girl clara stuff and a lot of things I thought were a bit shoddy (writing).
I'm willing to ignore all the new stuff, but my daughter grew up with the 'timey whimey' new doctors.
Personally I liked it when he was just a cheeky nobody time lord who nicked a tardis and ran away.

yes very much. they turned him from that into some sort of demigod magic being whose the most famous person in the unverse. being suffocated by his back story.

When Dr Who is bad it's bad because of the writing not the family friendly bit.

Time and the Rani wouldn't be better if it had full frontal nudity and a gory death scene.

Ok it would be slightly better but still bad.

I think the Rani is a criminally under-used character who could and should have been the villain instead of the master in at least one new Who story.

She's a good concept but I think mostly not done much with. The performance is good but the scripts not so much.

I remember Mark bring better than Time but also not being particularly good.

I really enjoyed the Rani episodes when they were shown - remember being super excited to visit the Ironbridge Gorge filming locations on a school trip shortly afterwards. I've never watched Time and the Rani as an adult because I know it's supposed to be awful and I don't want my memories tainted.

It'll open with a man in a bag wig, back to camera, muttering to himself.

"Endless regenerations? No, no, my good heavens. No, no, I don't want all this kissing, far too much. A woman, my goodness. Timeless Children, I refuse to even countenance such a thing. My, my. No, I must start again, yes, I must start again."

He presses a button on the TARDIS console.

"Grandfather!" cries a voice off-screen.

Donna is a brilliant character.
I think I didn’t welcome Donna at first at the time, though. I wasn’t a fan of Catherine Tate’s comedy, and I was mourning Martha (I had a bit of a crush on Freema Agyeman). But her performance remains captivating and the writing is the best of New Who.

Which era, incidentally, it seems has ended. If you look at the Whoniverse on iPlayer, we are starting a new new era, with 2005-2022 closed and 2023-? opening this evening. What will we call it?

I think I didn’t welcome Donna at first at the time, though. I wasn’t a fan of Catherine Tate’s comedy, and I was mourning Martha (I had a bit of a crush on Freema Agyeman). But her performance remains captivating and the writing is the best of New Who.

Which era, incidentally, it seems has ended. If you look at the Whoniverse on iPlayer, we are starting a new new era, with 2005-2022 closed and 2023-? opening this evening. What will we call it?
I did wonder if RTD is going to learn into Timeless Children and suggest that Ncuti isn't technically a regeneration, though things would have to get very fanwanky for that to work. Would confirm an earlier view that once the 60th anniversary stuff is out of the way, RTD will jettison much of the lore to create something genuinely new, free from most of the need to always show past doctors etc.

Insignificant space hobo is a far better concept than most influential being in the universe throughout all time. Being the biggest thing in something big leaves no room for maneuver. One insignificant spec with all an time and space to roam however. . .

Back
Top Bottom